cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Data Questions from a College Student

Hello again,

This post is a continuation of another I just submitted (see Technology Questions from a College Student). Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

DATA

1. We're learning a lot about all the data that machines can now collect. Do you have "Smart Machines?" How do you analyze the data that comes in from these machines? And when? What tools do you use to do this?
  2. Do any of the tools you use create "data images"? What types of images are helpful? How do you use these images? What decisions do they help you make?
  3. Do you ever compare any of the images to each other, like soil types, crop growth stages or applications? Do you ever layer them on top of each other? Why? How many images do you compare at a time?
  4. Does the way you analyze data change for different fields? Do you use different images for different fields? Why?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Advisor

Re: Data Questions from a College Student

I collect planting and harvesting data and store it in files that I can call up using SMS software.  It creates data images.  I'm not very good at using them.

I want to build layers to find correlations between data to see what seems to make a difference in yields.  I dont' use different images for different fields.

I tink there is a lot of room for farmers to learn more about correlating data to draw conclusions about what works.  We can all use yeild monitors but are not good at correlating.

big companies want to help you do that, but they get your data.  I won't share my data for the most part.

0 Kudos
Contributor

When do you normally look at these images? Is it during the season or after? Why do you think you're not very good at using them?

Do you work with anyone outside of your farm that helps make those data coorelations?

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I try to find time to look at the images during the winter or before agronomic decision time.

I'm not very good because the software is not intuitive and I don't use it very often so I dont' stay in practice.  

I have used the software personnel to help me figure it out.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I don't think this was answered, but if it was I apologize: What types of images are the most helpful for you to look at?

You mentioned building layers, do you ever (or want to) compare images as well? If so, what types would you compare? Different images for the same field or the same types of images for different fields?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I use the images generated by mappingsoftware.  Yields, fertilier applications, soil tests, topography, soil types and so forth.  I  don't know what your'e asking.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Do you compare any of those images you mentioned to one another? And if so, how do you do it: Different images for the same field (Do you look at yield and fertilizer application images at the same time?) or the same type of images for different fields (Do you look at yield images for neighboring fields? Or soil images?)

0 Kudos
Contributor

I've gotten 1 great response so far. Does anyone else have time to weigh in? Our professor recommended we get at least 3 different perspectives, but 5 would be even better. Thanks!

0 Kudos
zach88607
Friend

Jim,

At Farmers Business Network, we have been helping growers create the correlations you are looking to do, but on a large scale. 

FBN Members' data is aggregated anonymously and growers benefit by having correlations against millions of acres instead of their operation alone. This provides deeper understanding to how a hybrid performs based on your similar practices (irrigation, drainage, tilliage, traits, etc.), similar environment (rainfall, temperature, etc.), and similar soil types. You can even do seed variety benchmarking and correlation against the the entire FBN network, your state, your county, and even within your region. What used to take years to make decisions can be done in a matter of minutes with our simple and intuitive website application.

I understand the caution for not sharing data and wanted to share that since FBN is an independent and unbiased (not backed by any color of iron, seed, chemical company, etc.), our data and privacy policies in favor of the farmer. Your data is your data.

You might be interested in this video from a farmer who has benefitted from basing farm decisions on these correlations without losing control of his data  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPvFZBbHztM

0 Kudos