cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Drone uses,

http://www.cattlenetwork.com/news/industry/webinar-covers-drone-use-agriculture?ss=news

i kinda figure taking a few pics in real rough country is a "hobby."

guess we'll see.

might be kinda nice to know where thee best Elk grazing is.

might also be nice to know where the " D traffic is moving" on certain days....granted the USA govt already knows;

( THEY MOVE and Help Move MOST OF IT. MO )

just gotta laugh at human and govt evolution at times i guess.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Drone uses,

Well, as I kind of guess you already know, using an unmanned aircraft to count your cows is illegal. So is spotting elk. This is very clear. What you are probably really getting at is, "so what?". In other words, what will happen to you? I don't know. Probably nothing. If you crash your UA into a park ranger's car while scouting elk and he can pin it on you, he might be inclined to do that. Then he comes after your rifle, your pickup, your horsetrailer and whatever else you were going to use in conjunction with illegal elk spotting. Counting your cows? It's probably like running a stop sign on a gravel road out in the country. Probably nothing happens. Sometimes, something bad happens. Your farmer neighbor across the fence may not care, but the city guy who bought an acreage in the country for privacy may decide to use your UA for target practice. That is illegal, too, but if you can fly it, maybe he can shoot it. Something in it for both sides, eh? There are a lot of things to be worked out. But counting cows with your UA is not one of them - as of now, it is illegal.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: Drone uses, Jim perhaps U can "run in fear,"

and be scared.  I Cannot.

there's 400,000 drones sold monthly in the usa now....up from 200,000  per month last year.

I figure WE are ALL "hobbyists."

basically I Always Try to  stay out of the way of " D Flow " here.  it's a good life saving " hobby."

as far as scouting dirt...checking habitats etc....that's a hobby 2.

since we gather and brand in Big circles here...you pretty much know the cattle count...just keep on brandin.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Fly your drone over your land is none of my business. Fly your drone over my land and I will shoot it down. Then the next presidental candidate can run on the platform of 100,000 new cops to stop us gun nuts. So just keep your drone away from me and there will be no problems.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Sounds good to me. r3020

i think the national risk of drones is IF used as a terrorist tool.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Unmanned Aircraft

I truthfully don't understand your comments.

Surely you are not suggesting that it is legal for someone to count his/her cows with an unmanned aircraft?  It is obviously not. Someone saying they are flying a hobby RC aircraft when they are using it for commercial purposes will not fool the people who enforce the laws.

Perhaps your point, which I mentioned earlier, is that you don't expect ranchers using UA to count cows will be turned in or prosecuted.  That is probably a very likely conclusion. 

When someone runs the stop sign on the gravel road with no other car within miles, do they tell their passengers they are not breaking the law?  No, they scoff at the law.  They say it's a stupid place to put a sign, or the sign is not needed, or they can see to safely enter the intersection, but it's unlikely any of them say they are not breaking the law.

Why don't people just man up and say they are breaking the law?  Beats me.

There is so much misinformation that it would be sad if someone got themself in trouble believing they were not breaking the law when they were.

As far as danger of UA is concerned, one of the big hammers in Washington on this issue is Representative Mica of Florida, who's main fear is a UA striking an airliner and causing a major catastrophe.

My crop duster pilots are concerned about UA, as they are about MET (the 199' meterological evaluation tower that cell phone companies and others put up to test a site for signal suitablity - the FAA requires lights at 200' but the cell phone boys don't want the competition to know so they keep them just under the limit.  They can go up in a few hours and are not required to be mapped).

Beyond fear of crashes, privacy is the other big worry by some people.  That will be an interesting thing to develop.  As things stand right now, it is illegal to shoot down a UA.  Nothing to keep one's neighbors from counting the other guy's cows.  Smiley Happy

Many other developments about UA are in Precision AG on this site.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I think you and me could make pretty good neighbors.

0 Kudos
Advisor

just seems like with 400,000 drones per month sold in the usa....folks are gonna use em.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

Make sure you've got good insurance.

A woman was knocked unconscious Sunday when she was struck by a small drone during the Pride parade in downtown Seattle.

The 25-year-old woman was standing near Fourth Avenue and Madison Street when the 18-inch-by-18-inch drone crashed into a building and fell into the crowd, striking the woman in the head, according to Seattle police. The woman’s boyfriend caught her as she fell to the ground.

An off-duty firefighter helped treat the woman and called for police.

One of the victim’s friends turned over the damaged drone to police. The friend also gave police photographs of a man who may have been piloting the aircraft.

The drone aircraft retails for about $1,200 and weighs about 2 pounds, police said.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/woman-knocked-unconscious-by-falling-drone-during-sea...

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

UA Shooter Found Guilty, Fined

One can google a story about a California man who shot the neighbor's UA down and refused to pay for it.  The court got him for $850.  

The FAA has defined an unmanned aircraft (UA), UAV, drone, you name it, as an "aircraft".  The penalty for shooting at an aircraft is up to 20 years in prison.

0 Kudos