cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
soybean3
Friend

Monitors & other in cab electronics Power Source Question

Manufacters of ag electronics seem to want everything wired straight to the battery these days.  Its becoming a pain to run all these wires directly to the battery all the time.  The JD power strip thats built into the right side of the cab seems to be there for a reason, why isn't this good enough?  Our particular tractor happens to be a 8270R, but JD has had these power strips for years. I know a year or two ago someone on this site had a link to a couple devices you could use in the cab.  I believe it went directly to your battery and then had several outlets for hooking up all your electonics in the cab.  Anyone familiar with this?  And how is this better than the power strip that comes with the tractor from the factory?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Senior Advisor

Re: Monitors & other in cab electronics Power Source Question

I think Dave Mowitz the machinery editor did a story a year or two ago on the power strip question.  I don't know if your tractor power strip would be adequate or not, but it seems like it would.  If not, there are various fuzed power strips you can use.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
TylerW
Friend

They say this to eliminate all the potential issues that really dont need to exist.  For myself I have no problem connecting wires to different places, but I am 100% confident that I can do it properly by paying attention how and where I am connecting to.  Using a power source that is reliable, large enough to accept the additional load, and making sure to use solder to ensure a good connection.

Most people dont understand how to rewire something ensuring a perfect connection.  I have seen it a million times where someone has a problem with something and they ensure you that there wiring is not the problem and it actually is.  I have seen people with bare wire areas, use household connectors (marrets - spelling?), wrong gauge of wire, very bad wiring routing near sharp or moving items, etc. 

Can your powerbar handle the amperage draw of all the components plugged into it?  What is the size of the main power wires that feed the power bar?    There is a possible problem there.

How many connections is there in the powerbar circuit before it reaches the battery?  Every connection is a possible issue.

So if the manufactuer says to connect to the battery this eliminates 99% of potential problems for the average Joe.

0 Kudos
RCJC
Friend

Tyler makes some good points, but there are other reasons why it is best to connect directly to the battery. In digital systems noise can be a problem and any time you connect downline from the battery terminals there is an increased chance of electrical noise on the line. The technical reasons can get complicated but all conductors have some resistance, and if current is flowing from the battery through those conductors, voltage is dropped across them. The longer the distance from the battery, and the higher the current, the more voltage. The amount of voltage changes as the devices drawing the current turn on and off. This becomes noise. In some cases this noise voltage can be enough to cause errors, resets, and other effects in the monitor.

0 Kudos