cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Precision Grain Bin Inventory Management System?

Howdy Friends!

I am looking for a grain inventory management and record keeping system for a grain bin storage facility. If anyone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Precision Grain Bin Inventory Management System?

I wish I had a better answer for this but I haven't found a good one that was reasonably priced.....

If you have to buy scales that link in, there is elevator software available.  I have not been willing to spend that much so far.

I continue to do computer entry by ticket by hand......

Our facility has 700k capacity and we run about two times that through it per year...

I have some accounting blood so here is what I have done so far......

We have certified scales, and print custom tickets.  We are at the point where we could become a registered warehouse.  I just have not seen the benefit so far.....

I have chosen to interlink several Excel spreadsheets so that I only have to enter tickets on the harvested field ledger SS.  Each field SS has a subtotal for each storage location(bin or elevator location).  I have formula'ed them so that that subtotal figure also shows up on a Storage Report SS listing every field on the left side and all possible storage locations across the top.

I have found Those two documents to be enough to give me a pretty solid record of the input data on hand and suffecient for field, inventory, and Crop Insurance records. Obviously you are going to have one field record SS for every field harvested, all dumping data to one Storage Report SS per year/ per crop.  

If we take in grain from others, I change the field record SS title from a specific field to a specific person or entity for a listing of inbound tickets with a column for each of the details, including locations reported on each ticket.  Those transfer subtotal data to the same Storage Report SS and show up at the lower section of the SS under the Purchased Grain group below our fields list.

Outbound ------ I create SS's for each contract or destination and link the the subtotal or total cells to cells on the Storage Report SS  as a negative entry, so that the current inventory reflects all tickets into each bin and all tickets out 

It takes me 3-5 hours to get the Spreadsheets set up on larger harvests each year.  But every system I looked at required a lot of information entry each year as well....

One of my 20'something employees showed me how to link the cells by formula on more than one spread sheet.....

I have liked it.  Only fault is my own.... I just am not as dedicated on the outbound data as I should be sometimes....

All tickets are stored and referenced for verification purposes...

0 Kudos