cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Advisor

You Must Register Your Unmanned Aircraft

The FAA announced that beginning on 21 Dec, you have to register the unmanned aircraft (UA), also known as drone, before you fly it. It will cost $5 but the FAA is making it free for the next 30 days. This is only for recreational aircraft. If you have a UA you use to count cows or scout crops, that is commercial and you will be given new instructions in January. http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=19856
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: You Must Register Your Unmanned Aircraft

In my school days I built and flew u-control and free flight model airplanes.  Later my son flew radio control model planes.  A nice clean enjoyable hobby. We have had a lot of father-son flying times, he with his "high speed" sport plane and me with my Piper-Cub.    Am I reading this new law correct, that model planes will need to be registered too?  I would think a lot of flying clubs will be "up in the air" about this.  My appeal would be for the new registration law to just apply to new drone style UA.

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

The Academy of Model Aeronautics is the big national organization that represents recreational RC fliers. They participated with the FAA and the other groups in coming up with this procedure, but they are now taking the FAA to court and are advising their members to not register before the February deadline pending resolution of their court case. As I understand it, model airplanes need to be registered if they are over 1/2 pound. The registration is the owner gives name, address and email address. They have to mark the plane some way. With the rest of aviation, it is the plane that is registered. We'll have to see how this all turns out. One of the deals is that the person is automatically guilty if an accident or such happens and they are not registered. Some will ignore it but the FAA will just fine them if they find out.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Thanks, keep us informed on the resolution of the court case.

0 Kudos