cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

precision planting and 20 20 monitor

Any one have any experience with precsision planting products and its 20 20 monitor along with there hydralic drive system with variable rate and mapping on planters.  Looks awful pricey.  Is it user friendly?  How well does the mapping system work with variable rate planting?  Is the monitor as good as it is billed?  Any experiences would be helpful.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Contributor

Re: precision planting and 20 20 monitor

yep used them all and this is from an old fart that does not know how to text. best guess is find a dealer that will help you start out. only down side all this equipment on the planter and you won't want to trade it every 20 years. hay

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

I have very little experience with it but in talking with a competitor, Ag Leader says you can do more for less money with Integra.  Might be worth double checking capabiltiies.

0 Kudos
mikegodley
Visitor

I rebuilt a planter - reconfigured the bar and fold - and wanted to change to a hydraulic drive.

I considered Trimble, Ag Leader, 20/20 and Computrol as controllers for the hydraulic drive.  Only the 20/20 dealer responded to my requests for information, so that's what I bought.

I had already bought the control valve, motors and sprockets by the time Precision Planting became involved.  It would probably have been a lot simpler if I had hooked up with them sooner.  They have parts for doing exactly what I was doing.  Retrofitting a hydraulic drive to an existing planter.

Even though I was not using their parts or even plumbing the motors in a way they described as ideal, they understood what I was doing and helped at every rough spot without a lot of finger pointing at the pieces of the system that didn't come from them.

I did not do variable rate planting based on a prescription map this year.  I only punched buttons to change rates manually according to my knowledge of productivity of the land.    I only planted cotton and soybeans with this planter this year.  The main thing was to reduce the cotton seeding rate on good land that usually gets too rank and boost it on weaker spots.

Cotton and soybeans are not 'singulated' crops as 20/20 describes them, so I can't comment on that aspect of the monitoring system.  I did replace the existing seed monitor, harness, seed tubes and sensors with the 20/20 components.  The system appeared to turn the shafts exactly the speed needed to theoretically obtain the population dialed in.  The indicated actual population would vary from that depending on seed treatment and air pressure (White planter so its pressure and not vacuum).

I only used the automatic section control on the last few hundred acres planted.  Again, I was using components not supplied by Precision Planting and not even mentioned in their lists of supported devices.  The rows turned on and off in the right places.

I did not buy the system for the downforce and smooth seedbed measurements.  I don't have a controllable downforce system on the planter, but I did find the ground contact info helpful in avoiding the tendency to over-do it with the springs.  The ride statistics told me more about my seedbed preparation techniques that it did about how I was running the planter.  Maybe it would have been more significant if I were planting corn.

The system did log the area planted with variety information that I have read into Farmworks.

There were absolutely no issues with the system failing to start or stop according to the motion of the planter.  Between the gps, radar, accelerometers and lift switches the thing probably knows more about when it should be planting than the old chain, transmissions and dog-type clutches it replaced.

I do think I have an expensive console that is dedicated to planter monitoring and control that I can't use for other purposes.  The planter state indicated by the accelerometers might be worth that single purpose disadvantage especially if I were planting corn.  Maybe not so much with beans and cotton.  On the other hand I don't think Trimble would have been nearly so helpful in getting the drives and section control going with components that did not have a brand name and a part number.  I have a bit more faith than that in AgLeader but still found their product documentation to be geared toward model and part numbers rather than generic components.  I guess I'm just happy that it worked for what I wanted even if I do want to do other things that may involve buying another console later.

I'd say it is user-friendly.  Perhaps even a bit chatty.  It warns of conditions I don't necessarly consider problems.  There is usually a help or more info button associated with such warnings.    The short answer is that if you can remember to turn it on, you can plant with it.  The only times I really had any unplanted or improperly planted areas were when I turn the master switch off as a precaution.  There are no alarms or warnings for trying to plant with the switch off.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

what model white planter did you do this upgrade on?
0 Kudos
mikegodley
Visitor

It began life as a 6182.  The frame gauge wheels, blower and planter units were the main items to make it to the new setup.  The valves, speed sensors,  motor mounts and sprockets for an 8722 and various 8000 series models were used to build the drive system.  I used Parker hydraulic motors obtained through a local shop instead of the White part.  This was before I knew PP had a kit.

0 Kudos