cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

$1.38 I never thought I would spend

As a child, many summer days were spent hoeing rows in peanut fields. There was crabgrass, sheepburr, and the dreaded wiregrass, but I think in spots, I must've pulled a million morning glories a day. They are beautiful, of course, but really can mess up a digger.

Now tht the row crops are gone, I let these girgeous, delicate vines slide in a lot of spots on our Carolina yard. Up the rain chains, around the office deck railings. They range from almost pink to deep purple, with true blue in there, too.

Looking for so ething economical for a spot in a bed at Jenna's the other day, I grabbed a packet of morning glory seeds. I am pretty sure my father rolled over in his grave when I planted them with Winn this morning, after giving them a good soak overnight.

Mike just shook his head when I told him what we were trying to establish. He would have cussed, if he had realized I had mixed in moomflowers, which look suspiciously like the wild sweet potato vines we fought in fields, too.

Have you ever paid for a scourge,just because it was a beautiful one?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Re: $1.38 I never thought I would spend

I really like morning glories too and moon flowers. Years ago I had morning glories on a trellis and in the fall I pulled them down and took the dead vines to the garden to burn. You have probably guessed what happened and I still can not get them out of the garden. I did not know moon flowers grew wild in the south but I have certainly learned how they can really spread.

0 Kudos

I've planted  sunflowers a few times.   I think it only took 2 or 3 years of  roundup to finally get rid of them.   I would have been in BIG  trouble if they'd ever made it to a soybean field.   

Morning Glory,   it grows in my Asparagus patch.  in the summer I'll spray them with 2-4D  but they just keep coming back.  

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I didn't bother to research the scientific name on the moonflower seed packet, but it is very reminiscent of the wild sweet potato vines that were a plague on one place my father rented. Probably not at all the same plant, but it looks a lot like it.

I remember morning glories being so pretty at the field ends, on fences and such, when I was a kid. I don't think there is any plant much fairer, but they are a pestilence in the wrong place.
Ironically, my fathet's crops had to compete with what we called "wiregrass", apparently a wild form of Bermuda grass. I remember saying once I would figure out a way to make money with it someday...it was very difficult to eradicate without chemicals. Now, Bermuda is one of our mainstays,as grassfarmers in the Southeast.

Had a great time with Winn at the greenhouse/ farm supply place in Virginia yesterday. The guy at the counter is my childhood best friend's husband, and he made fast friends with our little buddy. Took him off the see the baby chicks on the back room. Winn got a real Pepsi and a pack of those tiny donuts in powdered sugar...which qualifies as a special treat to me. Spent his own follar for the combo.

He stayed his first night ever away from his Mama...her idea and Mike's. He did great, but my sleep wasn't really restful...this kid knows how to let himself out of deadbolts now! I was consequently way more nervous than he was.

We have learned how to run drip tapes in the Carolina garden, filled several pots with the extra plants leftover from yesterday, and cleaned out/ restocked our storm shelter this morning. We also mulched the newblackberry vines and trenched in one doubke row of Tyvek so we can set some peppers, tomatoes, and such.

I have called it time for a nap. I need one, even if he doesn't.....
0 Kudos