cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: 30th birthday

You make an excellent point...I think I can recall a few of my self-appointed objectives for some of my milestone birthdays.  Not a single one really mattered a pinch of snuff. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I turn 50 in a few days, will have 25th anniversary coming up in a couple months.  Just this morning I looked around and see I have accumulated WAY too much stuff.  Have I done all that I had expected to by this age...I don't know...I guess I didn't have expectations as everytime I planned something when I was growing up, my dad had other plans for me.  Maybe with the tornado, someone else had other plans for you...you will find it in time.... maybe you need to see a farm financial planner and set goals and how to get there.  Start with short term goals.  Or just sit down with your wife and family and have them help you make those goals and everyone pitch in to reach those goals.  We have saved some money for purchasing land someday...but with the price of land skyrocketing, I don't know if we will ever have enough to buy anything around here. And we don't want to jump at something just because its there either...we have a few things down the road that may come up and we don't want to use our money for something just because its available when the "prize" we are really looking at is a few years down the road.  Take small steps....

0 Kudos
Advisor

I'd agree with the PTSD.   Take some time.   If my sister came  I'd put her to work.   I guess my family is different.   When we get together we all find someway to help somehow even if it is a few hours.   I just came home from visiting my daughter.  I painted the kitchen,  painted one wall of the livingroom,  painted one bathroom,  (I painted the other one last time).  I cleaned her kitchen,  And I weeded her flowers.     So can your sister and her family help you anyway... if they are so inclined?   Is that what they would have in mind at all.       How about if she did the cooking?   

Now with the house next door I do have a few relatives who have NEVER helped in anyway.   Can't even get a couple of them to deal with the trash or garbage.   One nephew wins the prize... I asked has anyone EVER seen him do anything  besides:  play with his daughters or the dog.   (A dog that barks at me like  I am entering his house)... I'd love to KICK that DOG.     Others will pickup do dishes,  help clean out closets.  Strip the beds and start the washing machine.   One will help with maintatence projects  and some like to run the riding lawnmower. 

As for 30 and basics.   We didn't take over control of the farm till we were 45ish.   At 30  I still had to think if we could afford new work shoes or blue jeans.   We weren't comfortable finacially till we were 50/55.   And we are only 57 and 58 right now.   Of course both of us work/worked on the farm.    My daughter will turn 30 next week.   I assure you they are in no way financially comfortable.   She works off the farm and has what I consider a VERY good salary and benefits.   The farm pays the farm bills but they have to live on her salary.    She is Pregnant with their first child after being married 6 years.  They work hard  but farming debt can overwehlm you sometime.   Just be glad you aren't dealing with 18% interest.  That was stressful! 

Don't worry  you aren't behind what any of us were at this time in our lives.   

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

You can get really good and varied information and advice from this site. It has helped all of us who come here.

When we were age 30 we were still learning about life and marriage and raising children and trying to pay the bills. It does take time to build equity and dream dreams about the future together and set goals. I think we mostly just kept on going each year and hoped it worked out. We were very mature for our ages and blessed with common sense and it did worked out for us. I am not sure your generation is as mature about life as ours but your generation has different strengths and good educations.  

With this chance to start over, you are probably ahead of the game. We all began with debt and it almost always gets paid down and I am betting yours will too.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Don't know whose quote this is, but I find it very profound:

The days are long, but the years are short. 

0 Kudos