cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

A taste of the future

On Sunday my DH  came down with an ear infection.   Luckily he was able to get in to see a  PA  and get antibiotics on Labor Day for his   "swimmer's ear".   He was in some serious pain  and he could not hear.    For the past 4 days  the TV  and radio in vehicles have been on top volumes.    It was hard to do anything with the TV  echoing through our house.   He even wanted the closed captioning on too.    I've had to put drops in his ears 2x a day too.   Happy to report he is doing better.     He was difficult to deal with too.   One time  everything was echoing in his head  so he was wisphering and I couldn't hear him.    And there was no talking to him  unless you were close and looking at him.     Hope this is not in our future.  

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: A taste of the future

Sounds miserable. I hope it isn't a chronic problem, too.

My father's hearing was horrible, so everything was always top volume, esoecially gospel music on TV on Sunday mornings...rough if you had a late date on Saturday night. Mike's hearing was evidently damaged in 23 years on the railroad, and our son had hearing loss as a tiny child...I have lived with noisy men all my life!

We do a LOT of lipreading, too, and I love closed captioning.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I am quite hard of hearing. Got Hearing aids a couple of years ago. Absoulutely hate them. They tend to have a lot of feed back if I get any wax in my ears what so ever.
Things can be really difficult here sometimes. my husband is a mumbler and a mutterer and he has always had the nasty habit of saying things people need to know as he is walking away from them. My second daughter who was always obviously his favorite says they got along because she was just better at guessing what he was saying and wanted than the rest of us were.
I also think his hearing is diminishing even though he'd never say so yet.
We had a sound bar on the TV until one of the grands knocked it down. Got to get another one because the speaker on the TV set actually buzzes from being turned up so loud.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I had no idea what a problem arwax coukd be with hearing aids. Mike just recounted his telephone conversation with his sister today. Asked how MIL enjoyed her z100th party the end of July.

SIL said she complained she couldn't hear the whole time. They pursued the hearing aid adjustments, and had to go to a Prime Care place, to clean her ears out. The hearing aid people said the devices would not work with so much earwax.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Just realized that most people have this situation come on gradually, with cumulative hearing loss. You got a whammy all at once!
0 Kudos