cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor

AARP- Life Reimagined

I was reading the monthly publication of the AARP magazine and they featured an article about  the book.- Life Reimagined. ( The cover had M.Douglas, M.Freeman, K.Klein and Robert De Niro, about their movie "Last Vegas")  I ordered the book and am REALLY pleased with the content. I have also started the other book mentioned on here - Boundaries -- I have decided to change my lifestyle - my family is not happy with me - I need to be emotionally safe and not work so hard. I am recovering from bladder surgery last week and looking forward to shoulder joint replacement in Jan. 2014. The farm work has taken a toll on me physically and my soul has almost disappeared.

I filed for divorce before Thanksgiving and told them that I am leaving when my health issues are resolved. I have a business to take apart and see what will be left so my son can continue to farm here.

Please keep me in your thoughts as I proceed to change my lifestyle.

Happy New Years to my friends at WIA.

Darlene 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: AARP- Life Reimagined

That article looked good, but arrived with too much going on here to enjoy it. Thanks for the two book recommendations. I will look them up.

You sound very comfortable with your choices. Emotional honesty can make a lot of other people squirm.

Congratulations on figuring out how to reclaim your life. Please keep posted on your progress...you are an inspiration!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Oh you have a lot going on, I wish the best for you. Surgery takes a lot out of you so give yourself time to recover. This is a good place to vent and get help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Best of luck to you.  You will need a lot of strength and I sure will be thinking of you.  I think I'll look into those books- I'm looking for some enlightening reads for the new year.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

This AARP title is available for your Kindle. I am downloading it later today.

Darlene, is the Bpundaries one more about establishing them, as it regards your relationships with people in you world? I think I have a decent grasp of how much I let people wander onto my turf, but I could be wrong. Can you elaborate on that one's value to you?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

This book - Boundaries - is helping me define ME. Reading it will help me take responsibility for and ownership of my life and the new direction I need to be at. Learning emotional boundaries that will assist me in dealing with my own emotions and and disengage me from the harmful, manipulative emotions of others.  It also discusses physical and mental boundaries, it has references to God and the scriptures a lot also. I am reading this, slowly and attempting to take it all in --- ponder, provoke inner conversations with myself, and be very open to discovering a different view of my world.

The AARP book is a delight, the online activities are refreshing. Kind of like when I read "Passages" 25 years ago.

Thank you WIA for your support.

Darlene

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Darlene, I see several different " Boundaries" books on Kindle...which is your choice?

You know, I had a very chance telephone conversation yesterday, with a lady who called me as a reference for friends who had offered to foster a pup and his mom..He had until two p.m. yesterday to live. Fortunately, I was able to offer them a glowing reference, abpnd she had already arranged him a ride from several hours away. This sort of thing tears me heart out, because it is so hard to condpsider the ones who do not find a foster or firever home.

Anyway, I have been considering adding a cat to our second household, to keep Jenna's Foxy company when we are away. When I mentioned her passing, the lady on the phine started to share about her own son's passing, in 1999. We agreed that the whole overwhelming thing is that we want our children not to be forgotten.

That leads me to this thread. I posted to one on Farm Business this past week, bringing up the subject of one's legacy. I think that is what lies, at least in part, behind your present choice of paths. Is it right or wrong to say that you wanted to alter the way the story of your life was playing out?

I am facing some potentially paradigm shifting events for us this coming year. The rules we have played by all our lives are changing. If the decisions were only for me, instead of our whole family, I might ponder the possibilities more easily. Have always been a cat, landing on my feet. Difficult days ahead....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Best of luck in 2014 as you move forward in your life. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I'm so happy to hear that you are taking on your life's major decisions by the bull.  It may be messy, but you know that the status quo simply isn't working for you. Wish you the best in the new year.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Contributor

The publication I am reading is just " Boundaries", I have seen the sequels listed in the original as follow up reading. The quote " When to say Yes, How to say No, to take control of your life." was all I needed to realize this could help me.  I did read the legacy thread from above. Interesting.

It is correct to say I was not content with the path my life leading down - it is scary as He## to be 58 and starting a new direction.

My decision to change my lifestyle is that continuing doing the same thing year after year, working harder, not getting a better grip on the financial end of the dairy, expecting to do better, and with a spouse whose drinking commands a different view of life, triggered me to make some harsh decisions. Everyday I pray for the fortitude to continue.

Kay - my heart aches for the loss of your daughter Jenna, I admire your strength and know you will find the peace in your soul, your grandson has a BIG job helping you with your life course. Living in the moment like you have mentioned is wonderful, time does not stand still.

I also have landed on my feet in the past - this time will be different - but for sure if I fall I will not stay down. May your life decisions in 2014 be positive for your family.

Darlene

0 Kudos