cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Accident insurance

There was a topic on health insurance the other day so what about accident insurance. Does anyone have insurance for being hurt and having to stay home, and if so with who. I know working in town you have disability, but when you work for yourself and get hurt the bills still come in. I have a policy with Combine, and was just wondering if anyone else felt the need to pay for another insurance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Accident insurance

I have a disablity policy with Country Companies.    It is pretty small  but knew it would come in handy if I couldn't work outside or in the house for an extended time.   It is only $500/ month.    To get it disablity insurance you have to prove you are employed.   Being a farmer  we did not want to go the route of  a token amount to pay the health insurance.   So we split our farm income 50/50.   It does make it so we pay more income and Social Security taxes  but,  it something did happen to me my SS is no longer a  "token amount".    And combined with my Disablity insurance would have come closer to replacing me here on the farm/ hog operation.   Will probably drop my policy next anniversary since it will be easier to replace me with only crops. 

When Tom hurt his neck.  His policy kicked in after 90 days.   He was disabled for 7 months and the the policy paid us for 4 months.   A severe neck/spinal injury we had no hassles.    However,   we found out that we didn't really need it.    So we did not renew when the policy came up next time.     The way it turned out... He was  more easily replaced than I could be at that time.   Now,   with the loss of the longtime employee who really stepped up for Tom's jobs,   I'm not sure I would have made it.   But,  then again I think I could have leaned on the neighbors and friends more.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

At one time or another I sold accident insurance for AFLAC and another company which I am not sure about at this time. A policy can be helpful to help cover things that health insurance won't cover. You are paid per day and can use the money for travel expense or hired help or your deductible etc. It is not expensive and is good to go along with your health coverage. Another good policy to have is disability coverage.

0 Kudos