cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Adventurous?

We ate out with our friend's last might, and the subject of being an adventurous eater came up in conversation..no vegetarians, so we were having a delicious Moroccan beef, with couscous side.
Out of ten present, one was an NC native, the two of us are Virgnians ( and always will be), two of Italian descent from Long Island, three Brits, one Scot, and a Columbian. Most are world travelers, and eat foods from literally everywhere. I would say only one is a true gourmet, but the rest eat pretty much anything, or will at least try.

Our NY friend's observation is that most of the people around here eat a fairly lmited number of foods, and do not seem interest,Ed in trying anything " strange". I responded that always eating familiar foods is known to be a bit OCD, as with people who always order the " usual" at a restaurant.

Also, I noted that people had so little choice but what they could raise themselves...I never had pizza or shrimp until I left home after high school. I am ashamed to admit that I couldn't make myself enjoy a classmate's mom's homemade sushi in college. Mike and I made a points of exposing our kids to different foods, but not insisting that they like them. Consequently, they eat pretty much anything, too.

Would you describe yourself as an adventurous eater, or are you stuck in a gastronomic rut?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Adventurous?

I'm afraid I'm probably closer to being  "stuck in the Mud".   I'm willing to try more nowdays  and am trying more tired and tested recipies from the Church cookbook.    When I go out to eat I don't like to waste my money on something I'm  not sure I'd eat.   I do try to trust people that have given a recommendation.   I'm not going to eat raw fish.    Heck,   I don't  like my red meats even pink.   I always order my steaks.  Well done. 

I've got extras here for harvest crew this week.   Sat evening through Sunday nite  will be leftover buffet.   Pot roast w/vegetables and gravy,  ham balls, apple salad, applesauce salad, green bean casserole, potatoes.    I didn't have anyone turn anything down.     Ooops   Combine just broke.   Hydraulic pump.    Might be driving to Moline for  parts.   

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Probably a rut here.  DH won't try anything new.  When we go out I would have the option on my order, but I tend to be a little "Scotch" and don't want to waste my money on something I might not like.  I do get more adventurous on wine or drinks.  I went with some girlfriends for lunch at a Chinese restaurant & let them be my guide- hated it, sorry to say.  I used to eat at another one & another couple & I used to get a 3 dish meal & I always found something there I liked.  

I do like Mexican & Italian, both of which we have near us, and try new things there.  DH's favorite places are deep fried chicken family style and a grill your own steak restaurant.  Love the terriaki steak there.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

One of the things I missed the most when I moved from NY to OH was the variety of ethnic foods. I try about anything except foods with curry. My favorite foods on this trip included bison, elk, and perch. Not exotic but still different than back home. The BEST part about travelling is experiencing new foods!
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Do you ever experience any digestive problems when you eat something so novel? I joke with Mike that we are eating such a narrow choice at home at times, we may end up with not enough different enzymes to digest a variety of things when we go out.
I do have a lot of trouble with fried anything, even a tiny bite, except for the fish and chicken we make at home. I don't know if restaurants use a different oil or what, but it can really stress out my system.
Right now, I am tightening hard on carbs, so if I eat many starchy foods, I will start to have dumping syndrome, which is miserable.
Hard to enjoy many of the thing s I want to try...but,I give it a shot most times, or attempt tomeatbaround things I know set me off.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

not adventurous here at all.  Even drinking the water away from home bothers my husband. 

For myself I am very visual.  If it looks like something that came out of one or the other end of a dog I tend to have problems with it and quit frankly a lot of foreign/gourmet cuisine looks that way.

But really want to work on that because good ole American red meat and potatoes is not the most healthy way to eat.  Might have been OK years ago when every one was much more physically active every day, but in today's society I don't  think so.  We simply don't move enough anymore.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

The question made me chuckle.....one of our "road rules" is no chain restaurants or fast food.....we like to eat local to support the local economy and try local cuisine.  However, when there are no other options we give in.

Saturday night we stopped early so we could catch a bit of college football so I suggested that we get take out from Applebees in the form of appetizers and make it kind of a tailgate party in our hotel room instead of eating sit down.....

Of all the unusual things we ate on our trip and all the changes in water and schedule, nothing made my stomach the least bit upset.....EXCEPT those appetizers from Applebees! 

So much for beware of the exotic!!  LOLOL

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: travel menu

The thing I find upsets me the most on a vacation is that 1- I eat too much 2-I eat wrong foods (splurging) 3-we eat before we milk at night and then do chores thus getting a little exercise.  Not so on vacation.

We're going to Dairy Expo this week & I know I'll be sampling lots of cheeses and that will have an affect on my body.  But I love it and it will be just a couple days.  As a small family dairy farm we don't get away for long.  And what are we doing?  Looking at more cows! LOL  Actually this is a huge thing with lots of booths with differents vendors relating to the business and then we rest by watching the dairy judging.  Cows from all over & Canada.  Hope to talk to some other dairymen - it's interesting to visit & compare.  One year I sat & talked a long time to some people from Ireland & another time Canada.  Always lots of foreigners there but not all speak English.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: travel menu

We were at the Spoon River Festival this past week-end and the weather was beautiful.  I visited the church were the red, white and blue quilts are on display in Knoxville. These are the donated ones to be sent to wounded service men. I can't really describe the feelings in the room with these quilts but I am getting chills remembering. I had tears in my eyes as I left and the sun was shinning through the most beautiful stain glass window. I have been in famous cathedrals in France and DC but I was certainly moved by the Presbyterian church's windows and the wonderful women who make the quilts for the wounded.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

On our rare nights out, which will usually be to a restaurant in Richmond, where the chef pairs beers with lots of locally- sourced foods, we eat a lot of different things I would never try without this influence.

Last time we ate there, I got violently ill within thirty minutes of getting on the road to home. I credit that with what we know as " dumping syndrome"...something that happens when you have too much of something your system cannot process, so it kicks it out hard and fast. This creates a set of the sweats, with upper and lower GI problems.
A food poisoning incident tends to onset within a few hours after the offending meal, not immediately. I have no doubts that the fried
liver appetizer didn't set well, as Mike ate exactly what I ate, on,y ,ore of,it, and I only sipped each beer, while he drank his and mine.
Of course, I have an altered metabolic mechanism, as a diabetic.
After a week of no carbs to mention, I am feeling great, have scads of energy. I love this pattern of intake, since I never feel hungry, but lose weight fairly rapidly. Hard to pick a place to eat out, though, and certain,y not a fast-food diet!
0 Kudos