cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Our Minister always said

It probably has taken me over fifty years to grasp that concept.  Having it intellectually absorbed and applying it to my own life emotionally may not be the same step in the process, though.  

Also, i have learned that I do not need to get my own revenge.  Karma really does work in the world.  People who have been mean to me have usually been even worse to someone else with more time and connections, who manage to make it right enough  for us all.  I had to work on tha one from over forty years, to give it adequate time for the universe to balance things out.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re: Again....

You all can take this as my opinion and thoughts.....

This individual was already disturbed and even if the mother didn't have guns in her house he would have found a way to do what he did.  This has been said so many times but it's not guns that do the violence...it's the humans that use them.  The guns could have been locked up in a gun safe but he was 20 years old and more then likely knew the combination.  He wasn't a dumb kid from all accounts.  It's the mental health that needs to be reformed in America not the gun laws.  And yes, I am a hunter AND I have a legal Concealed Weapons permit and I do carry when I travel by myself.  I am prepared to protect myself if the need should arise.  You don't hear about it on the news but not too long ago a Chinese man went into a school and murdered a number of children with a knife.  What would Americans say if this happened?  Outlaw knives??? 

I don't know who has seen this or not but this mother has a really good point and I so feel for her.  Will she be the next tragedy we read about? 

http://www.today.com/moms/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother-another-moms-cry-help-1C7625059

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

That is a so typical "Gun Ho" American statement.    If he had not had all the guns in front of him , perhaps for many years, he may never have even thought of doing what he did.  His mother had an arsenal of weapons and paid the price for her own stupidity.   Have you had a child, or grandchild killed by anyone with a gun?? No , didn't think so ,    You would have a different opinion on gun ownership.

A hunter yea,  , Did you hear about the hunter that took a shot at a Bear??  She missed, realizing what she did she apologized to the Bear for shooting at him,   at which point he said thanks and went up to the hunter to give her a hug, Hey!! Stay clear she shouted,   "Sorry said the Bear, Do you mean I'm not allowed "To Bear Arms".

0 Kudos
Advisor

You are so naive. If a deranged person wants to kill they will find a way. If a serial killer stalks and kills we don't even blink. Killing is killing regardless of the method.

These folks are socio paths. You cannot stop them.

We medicate for everything. We tolerate anything. There is no right or wrong. We glorify violence in movies and videogames. These sociopaths live in a fantasy world and crave fame.

Stop being so naive. I hate the assault rifles and want them banned but I am not naive enough to think it will end the prob
lem. They will simply buy them on the black market from jerks who are only too eager to supply them.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

it is so much more than just meds that need monitoring.  The mental health industry seems to think they can accurately identify, diagnose and treat mentally ill people without speaking to those around them that see their behavior every day in every situation.

My sil is very adept at saying what he knows people (his councelors and doctors) want to hear.  In other words he knows his thoughts and behavior are not normal and he has learned what to say and what not to say to the doctors.   It took 2 psychotic breaks and hospitalizations before he finally got a diagnosis that is closer to correct and medication that keeps him more stable.  But still he refuses to discuss with his doctors the behaviors and things that keep him from living a normal life, and still chooses and is allowed to chose to keep his wife secluded from most of his therapy.  And his doctors are satisfied with that.  All they want is to keep him in touch with reality.  They do not give a hoot about his quality of life, nor my daughters quality of life living with a mentally ill person.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

???

LA, did this post "jump" from underneath another person's post to look like it responded to mine?  I don't get it, if it was written to me....

0 Kudos
Advisor

Actually I was responding to noxandrattles.

We can take away all the guns you want but it won't help the 2000 children a year who are murdered by other means or the babies murdered by their mothers' boyfriends. Or the 9000 babies a year who are born addicted to pain killers, opiates or crack.

Where is the outrage over that? Are these children expendable? Where is the outrage over the hundreds of black kids killed in gang violence in inner cities?

What about the 16 million kids who don't have enough to eat?

My point is that banning these guns will make liberals feel all proud of themselves for doing something when the reality is the problem is way bigger and more complex than they want to admit or tackle. We live in a violent society.

If you are going to ban the guns then ban the violent movies and videos that Hollywood makes millions off.

Open up in patient mental health facilities and stop the nonsense about privacy when families of mentally ill people are begging for help.

I repeat, don't be naive. This is a much bigger problem. I invite anyone to spend a week with me working with the felons, addicts, heroin mothers, and mentally ill. It will open your eyes if you think it is all about guns.

Then, look at the profile of these shooters. There are hundreds of these weapons in the inner city and in rural conservative areas. but these shooters are white, well off, bright, males. In suburban areas. .... The profile of the killer doesn't fit the profile of the gun owner.

Veteran Contributor

Well , I don't think I'm naive LA,    Pretty wise to the World infact.     And  of course nutters will always find a way,  What I did say was if that particular nutters  mother had not had any guns he may never have had a reason to use one.  And she paid the ultimate price for having them ,   

But please, don't  tell me about 2000 children,  16 million hungry kids,   even black kids in gangs. ,    And as to making Liberals proud of themselves, as a conservative that just galls me out,   Your all Americans for goodness sake.    

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

LA, you have stated this problem extremely well. You know what you are talking about having to deal with it every working day. I had a job where I worked with people on disability and I really had my eyes opened to a different side of our society.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Your been a little naive there yourself lwinkle1 ,  No one I can see is denying who was to blame,  the shooter,   And that's where the whole question of mass killings needs to be addressed,     either for mental illness or any other reason.         What I think Nox was saying was how can it be that anyone can get hold of a gun with so much killing power,   who needs an assault rifle anyway.

0 Kudos