cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Another silly question...

...that occurred to me as Mike and I watched an episode of "Andy Griffith" on TVLand this weekend:  Do you know anyone who is so much like a TV character, that you'd swear they were twins who had been separated at birth? 

It occurred to me during this particular viewing - a storyline where Barney Fife had written a letter to Andy while in Raleigh - that one of my buddies from nursing school could be Barney's twin.  Despite phsycial similarities, and North Carolina accent and dialect, I had never noticed this before. 

Barney wasn't even on screen in this episode, so the letter - which Andy read aloud to Floyd and Opey - was the trigger in the recognition.  It sounded like one of my buddy's e-mails.  It smacked me upside the head all at once....

So, I just thought for fun, I'd ask if any of you  have a friend or acquaintance who - if you needed to explain their personaltiy to a perfect stranger - you would be able to shorthand the description to a direct comparison to a character from TV? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Re: Another silly question...

Definitely, I know someone that is exactly like MONK, the OCD detective or Felix Unger. So hung up on details getting things just perfect that he doesn't get much done. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

OOOhhhh!  Our son worked with one of those OCD guys when he first got out of school and started carpentry professionally. 

He was the younger of two brothers who built very nice homes together, but nearly bankrupted his brother's business, since he tore out everything he built, and kept building it over and over again.  Our son learned a lot of truly great technique from him, but also when something was "good enough." 

I had to struggle with that when we started building this place over - I had to learn to look at Mike and say, "Close enough" on a lot of the details.  Now, my vision is poor enough, I can't see well enough to be but so picky.  That has helped me a lot in my stained glass work!!!!

We are doing that simulated neighborhood study in nursing class today and tomorrow, and the sad thing is, I sit there and listen to every story, and think of at least one person who fits into the category in real life.  Really makes you think....

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

My Grandma could have been Miss Daisy,  of Driving Miss Daisy.   One of the last conversations I remember with my Grandma was her expressing her distaste for the MLK  special section of the newspaper.   They had  "negras"  on the front page of the paper.   Then a bit of a tirade with inappropriate  words for my young children.    I believe Grandma would have counted the silver if a black person ever entered her house!  

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

More than one person compared my dad to Ben Cartwright (Lorne Greene) of Bonanza.  I see a resemblence in appearance between Dad and the Egyptologist, Zahi Hawass....similar build, dark complexion, white hair, black eyebrows, chambray shirt, and brown hat.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Funny you should mention Barney Fife ... I was at my husband's class reunion last weekend, and one of his classmates is now a Deputy Sheriff in their home county. He's much more handsome than Barney, but there were plenty of jokes about him being assigned one bullet and carrying it in his shirt pocket, LOL!

0 Kudos