cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Re: Are you marginal yet?

I've always been told Rocky Mount, as in "Rocky Mount blames Richmond, Richmond blames Rocky Mount" for the mong delivery times between us here and family in VA.  I could literally walk in there faster, some weeks...and I have a very bad knee! 

I think one major stumping point in four-day schools here is child nutrition.  A huge percentage of our students get breakfast and lunch free at school.  I do not know how well they would be nourished in three days straight at home.  It's a different world....

0 Kudos
Advisor

There are going to be a lot of disappointed landlords in small towns, I think.  Post Office is a good tenant, will probably never be replaced with one as reliable. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

This and a thread about roadside trash/debris on Farm Business made me think about our home county in VA, which has just recently decommissioned dozens of unmanned trash box dumpster sites, replacing them with a handful of manned ones. 

This was to control use of county services by citizens of surrounding localities.  With roadside collection boxes open 24/7, the tipping fees for the extra tonnage were considerable. 

Only a few months in, citizens are up in arms about how far they have to haul their garbage for disposal, and roadside litter is starting to be mentioned in letters to the editor of the local paper, too. 

Businesses are having to lock their dumpsters, to avoid them being used surreptitiously, and it's all coming to a head as gasoline prices soar.  It would make sense to me to locate all of these services in close proximity... postal service, trash collection points, etc.  A couple of trips per week should suffice. 

Do you think that Rural Free Delivery is endangered? 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I checked the county assessor page for the ownership of our post office building. The owner is from Omaha. Does that make sense?

Do the simple search yourself and you may be surprised where the owners are located.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Everything is on the table, including RFD. I really don't know why they would keep city carriers if they cut us. We have lower base wages and salaries that are based on the mail volume counted once per year.

Governments will have to be involved to get these services in a combined use area. Who is going to pay higher taxes to man this? We pay monthly for recycling and garbage pickup services here and there are still some that will pass their trash to their neighbors to avoid this cost. Taxes for garbage pickup really hurt those who recycle more than those that don't. Many complain about landfills, but don't want to pay for recycled products either. Something has to be done, but no one is willing to volunteer money for a solution.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

The past has shown us that it is easier to kick the can down the road than to take a stand and risk the electorate's wrath. Everyone does it, how many that stand up to power do we remember?

0 Kudos
Advisor

Trash pickup for residences is part of our property tax bill here.  I just paid for a year's worht of a trash can I have never/may probably never use, since the resident of the trailer just did not bother to pay the tax bill last year on a property I bought half-interest in. Claims she didn't get the bill...which is no excuse under the law.   (The partition suit papers are already under preparation.) 

The charge per residence for curbside (actually, ditchbank) pickup of one supercan per week is $186.  I paid that one, the one for my house, and the one for the employee's residence.  Daughter and SIL pay theirs, so this one farm pays $744 per year...OUCH!!!  I've also been paying $109 a month for a dumpster while the kids complete the old store cleanup and barnyard pickup.  Oh-oh, forgot... I pay for a supercan at the store, too, so add another $186 per year.  That's $930. 

We can haul tires to the landfill and white goods to the county, and they will accept limited numbers of each for free.  Pay by weight on loads of other trash, and it's about a 20-mile round trip per load.  Adds up.

We've been burning most paper and cardboard since we went to the boiler for heat and year-round hot water.  I'm using my cloth and fiber shopping bags again, and ask my family to minimize plastic cup and paper plate use, except to carry to the field.  I look for recycled products, but they are not as widely available as you would think they would be by now. 

I am sure we could do better, but Mike's re-using all the beer and wine bottles he can lay his hands on, too, so maybe we are doing our part not so badly....

0 Kudos
Advisor

I've stood up to local government twice, on significant issues.  Many more times on minor ones.  Some things I can tell you:

It's very expensive, especially if you have to obtain counsel. 

If you are employed by the same county, they will hassle you there. 

If you are ntot employed there, they will find other ways to have you hassled. 

It is all-consuming, requires a lot of research, and you will be paying taxes to them to provide teh defense against your own position and best interests. 

That said, I have learned a lot about how to do it effectively, and way less expensively.  Of course, once you've sued one county, dragged it to the state's Supremes at considerable public expense, and whipped it silly...the next one is not as apt to push you too far. 

0 Kudos