cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Athletics - students choice

To break away from the very lenghty wrestling messages...I believe that any sport needs to be the "childs" choice, not the parent.  Once it gets to be the parent living vicariously through his/her child, then you have problems.  Two months ago my friends son wanted to quit wrestling..his coaches and everyone else knew he had it in him to go to state.  He wanted to win state for his coach.  He won his first round at state and was very close the next two losses.  When my son lost interest in football and wrestling, it was his choice.  You can only push kids so far before you push them and you over the edge.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Athletics - students choice

I think this is true of any activity, be it sports, piano, dance, etc.  I saw many "stage moms" when I taught dance that never got the chance to take as a child & lived through their kids.  The harder they push, the faster the kid burns out.  Hard to get a smile out of a dancer like that.  Usually everybody loses. Even the kids in the class that are really interested & really want to do well are held back by the straggler.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: Athletics - students choice

Parents are the main problem with any youth program, most times. 

The worst to me is the one whio does not know anything about the activity, but wanst to tell volunteers hwo to run things.  I used to ref soccer, before it was well;known as a sport in our area, and hardly anyone had expoerience with it...but some of them really wanted to argue with a call!

Probably equally aggravating for a volunteer coach, instructor or official, are the ones who "almost made it big" in the activity.  They know more than you do, but do not have the time to help. They have all day long to criticize your efforts, though!  I have turned to one or two of that type and asked them why they weren't helping out, since they were the "experts." 

In the final analysis, it boils down to the point where they are no longer doing the activity "for" the child, and are instead doing it "to" them.  Anyone who has worked or helped out with kids' activities can tell you tales that would break your heart. 

0 Kudos