Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Automated External Defibrillator

Jump to solution

Hi, Kay,

If I remember correctly, you purchased an AED last year. I am assuming that you haven't used it yet (thank goodness!)

If you had it to do again, would you buy it? Do you feel it would be easy to use if needed, or would you look for different

features if you were buying one today?

I'm doing a little research, and I think I am right that you own one. Thank you!

--Cheryl Tevis

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Advisor

Re: Automated External Defibrillator

Jump to solution

Cheryl, we did indeed buy a Phillips AED online from amazon last spring.  It and the CPR mask are on hooks right inside the back door, in the same grouping of emergency stuff that includes flashlight and fire extinguisher. 

The basic first aid kit sits in the open pantry closet right past that wall, on top of a labelled set of drawers with all sort of chemical ice packs, ACE bandages, etc. ( I need to put my stethoscope and such from nursing school away in there, too.  Thanks for reminding me!)

The main breaker panel for the house is in that closet.  The first (automatic) backup generator is right outside that door.  The whole shebang in within ten feet of the entrance door closest to the driveway.  No need for someone to have to go further than absolutely necessary in an emergency. 

My hope is that every cent we spent on rescue/survival  equipment will be totally unnecessary.   We consider thexpense of all of it minor in relation to the peace of mind it brings us. 

I will eventually add a set of child's AED pads, which did not come included.   I did register the unit, so they will contact me in time for battery replacement and  such, and in case of any product recall. I will probably order the small pads when I refresh the batteries, but could have them in a couple of days from amazon.  Also, pads do expire and have to be replaced every so often, I think about every two years, too. 

The reasons we decided to buy the AED are partly based upon family health history, and partly because we live so far out, it would be difficutl for either of us to do adequate chest compressions for that long.  Doing them properly is exhausting.   Most people cannot do it effectively, if at all. 

Mike and I talked about it after our CPR class last March.  We agreed that it is an expensive device, but no more than a big flatscreen TV, and which matters more? 

We figured that we'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.  Same reasons we all have smoke alarms, CO alarms, fire extinguishers, and buy supplies like dust masks and gloves.  It is no different than having appropriate PPE for pesticide use to me.  Compare it in cost to the airbags in your vehicle. 

I look forward to your feature. 

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

Jump to solution

Kay, you are a great resource!  Do you mind if I mention your comments in my article?

It will be brief ( because of space) although you have so many good ideas for being

prepared for an emergency. I will get back to you as I finish it.

Thanks again!

--Cheryl

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution

Sure, feel free.  Go ahead and make that deadline!

0 Kudos