cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

From mid-eighties last weekend to low forties and ready to rain today.  Will get frost for the next few nights, if it's not steady raining or overcast. 

All those folks rushing to plant gardens and flowers that I saw in Lowe's garden center last week will get to do it all over again.  It was hard to resist, but I am glad all I bought was a replacement for my missing leaf rake. 

BTW, as soon as I did that, both Mike and I found the missing one, within five minutes of each other.  Reason I couldn't find it?  I had actually put it away where it belongs!

Folding the sliding tines and hanging it on the peg rack by the kennel, with the other garden tools, was a great hiding place.  I know I had been past it a hundred times in the past two weeks.  Had been within two feet of it in the kennel fence the day before...talk about a one-track mind. 

Woke up Thursday morning and thought "haven't looked on the pegger yet."  Found it there right after lunch, and then Mike pointed it out to me when we were working on my wagon wheels.  We laughed, since we'd both been looking around all the nooks and crannies where we thought it had last been used. 

Brand new one in car trunk....  I could return it, but then, I'd need to find the receipt.   

Do you ever hide something from yourself?  When you find it, is it where it was supposed to be, or did you leave it leaning up against the back wall of a building months before?

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: BRRR!!

Jump to solution

Forties are not that cold. Last year we still had feet of snow on the ground so I am thankful that this year's weather isn't that bad.

Have always had that problem of not finding stuff when I need but always finding it when I don't. It is just so frustrating! That is why I usually get multiples of many tools and items. Finding it where you had left it may have taught you to trust yourself or your system more. I haven't had that luck yet.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

Same here for weather. My daughter had a great cook out last weekend, horse shoe tournament, I came in 3rd, and today it is cold. I knew it would turn cold because we got baby birds Thursday, and we have to keep the temperature at 90, so the natural gas company will love us again this month. I always hid Christmas presents and would find them sometime in Jan. I have learned to put things where they should be, I just don't remember where that is. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

Problem is, I do NOT trust my "system."  I am wandering around wondergin where I stashed some brand new scent pods for my tart warmer.   Just put them away two weeeks or so ago, so, ARGH!

I've used this coolish, windy day for indoor cleanup, putting some things in storage wardrobes and such.  I did a great job of re-organizing this type of stuff when we replaced the floors in July, so I will not have to "remember" where they are, just what they are. 

Trying to get my nerve up to tackle that workbench that Mike has been burying for a year again.  He was very impressed yesterday when he needed some small items, and I walked right to plastic shoeboxes with labels, and laid hands straight on them...so, he appreciates my system, just does not feel obligated to actually use it. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Jump to solution

Perhaps Mike will not a use a system that YOU don't trust. Has he ever made an organized system for himself, and that you can find stuff in too?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

Now THAT is funny!  His systme is to set thing on every horizontal surface, until they are full, and piled up to where stuff slides off.  That leaves the floor.  It drives me NUTS!!!

No, he cannot find his things and says that every one else takes them and does not return them.  He has hurt a couple of feelings with this over time, including mine.  I adore my husband and we are compatible in virtually every other way, but this one.   

Funny thing is, he is meticulous wiht his motorcycle stuff, and "his" fancy big Ram truck is spotless inside, while he is messy in the F-150 that is supposed to be "mine."  Go figure.  Not worth fighting over anymore. 

I have gotten a lot done this afternoon.  All the spare tile and grout is ready to go upstairs to the  closet, where I put the excess from decorating projects, in case of needed repairs down the road.  The hallway where that was all stacked looks SO much better. 

I asked him to put the boxes of leftover faasteners on the garage shelf, then thougth better of that decision.  He said he would "see if he coudl find a place for them."  Translation: They were going on the floor.  I'll save myself the aggravation of having to handle them twice, and put them out on the shelf myself. 

Men, can't live with them, and can't live with them....

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution

If we had to have a cold week this was a good one from my viewpoint.  It was a busy week with NCAA mens basketball March Madness which I just love!  The cold weather gave me an excuse to stay inside, have a wood fire, eat some comfort food, and enjoy all the games.  I could not believe that I was awake until almost 1 this morning watching! 

My pet peeve is not being able to find important papers that should be filed.  I have a system and it works for me but when I find something for Ed and hand it over, I know pretty well that it will be a challenge to get it back and filed where it belongs...papers just seem to get devoured in his file pile.

I bought myself a new four drawer chest style filing cabinet from Home Decorators catalog.  Wooden file, nice looking not totally thrilled with the quality but it is not for secure storage just something that will look nice in my office where I can get at some things quickly.  Won't get heavy use so I think it hold up for what I want. 

"Some assembly required" kept me busy for 5 hours this morning but I perservered and now I have a good start on getting my files in order.  In the process I found some documents that I desperately needed to address a legal issue and had been stressing over not being able to find them.  That little find just made my day.  Maybe my whole week, which has not been a particularly good one.  Sigh....

Well, tomorrow is Sunday.  I always look at Sunday as the start of a new week.  I am hoping and praying to catch a break and have a better week than I have been having.  There are those who view Sunday as the 7th and last day of the week.  How about you?  Is Sunday the beginning of your new week or the end of the previous one?

Actually, I am looking forward to a new month.  April is always one of my favorites.  September is my "truly absolutely" favorite month. 

Do you have a favorite month of the year?

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution

Favorite month?  I try to find something to look forward to in each one. 

Hard to so with February, except for middle kid's birthday, and I guess will enjoy Valentine's when we ever have grands.  August is difficult, just hotter than Hades and so humid, it is just Stick Central here. 

"Some assembly required."  I'd almost rather be beaten than asemble most of this imported furniture.  Last one here was a small white cabinet with ribbed glass doors, for over the toilet tank in the tiny bathroom. 

I was desperate for storage to order that, even at half-price, from Target!  Glad I did, though...it is irreplaceable to me now, no more crawling around to search under the sink.  I am sure you will really enjoy your filing system. 

I have a suggestion for you and Ed and the papers.  I do this with Mike, if it is an important paper.  He usually just needs the info, not the original.  I just slap it into the copier and give him a photocopy, then immediately re-file my original.  I couldn't care less if I get the copy back or not.  I don't care if it's minimally wasteful...it cuts down on the stress level about recovering my records.   

Might help you?!?

Sunday is an odd egg for us...since we are not churchgoers.  Mike works virtually every Saturday and Sunday, so daughter can be off for her riding activities.  I catch alarm calls when he trips them for the weekly test, and then do my bookwork for the week. 

I do not think of it so much as a beginning or an end.  If it is a punctuation mark, it's a comma, I suppose.  We take a pause. 

I usually change the sheets, make my errand and shopping lists for the week to come, and like to putter a lot.  The phone isn't ringing with business, and no calls need to go out, either.  No mailman, no appointments.  If I want a good chunk of uninterrrupted time, I look to Sunday for it. 

Last Sunday was a great example.  I had a good six hours between lunch and supper to do yardwork.  Today felt like Sunday, since we went out with friends for fondue last night. 

I'd never had fondue before, and it was fun.  We took some melting chocolate and white melting chocolate - big Ghiradelli bricks I bought before Christmas.  We had them as fondue dessert with strawberries, bananas, pound cake chunks, graham crackers, and some little English "biscuits" that were crunchy and spicy.  It was awesome, as evenings go. 

Messy weather, so no interruptions today.  I got a lot of long put-off chores done here, but have enough left over for tomorrow, too.  Never seem to run out of those, do you?   

Managed to choke the Dyson Animal in thirty seconds, and it took thirty minutes to figure it out and get to the clog.  So glad I have my own set of needle-nosed pliers. 

Let me know what you think about the copying idea for papers for Ed.  I keep masters for our farm permit, forms for recordkeeping mostly, in page protectors in the permit binder...Mike will use them and put them right back, still in the plastic sleeve.  I'd suggest that you could do the same, and set up a binder of these for Ed, for things he needs frequently. 

I do that for daughter for her stable release forms, boarding contracts, and such, too.  She has her own binder, in a distinctive color, for those papers, kept in my office. 

They all copy much better than they can find computer files.  Works well here. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution

I like that idea! I do that at  the office since we never let originals out of our sight....don't know why I never thought of it for at home office...thanks for the good idea....now where do you push that "good solution" button so I can give you credit for it??

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution

My preference for a filing cabinet (actually, any case goods furniture) has always been antique.  All of the non-upholstered furniture in our home except for our big china cabinet is antique.  I figure if it has lasted and is still sturdy after a hundred years, then it is probably going to last me for at least the rest of my lifetime. 

Unfortunately, all of the antique four drawer filing cabinets I found were vertical.  I have room for a vertical but the stairs leading up to my craft studio create this wonderful (albiet useless) alcove beneath that a four drawer chest type fit perfectly into.  By going with the chest type I didn't have to give up any floor space in the office.  A new one also gave me the option of having legal size orientation in all of the drawers and I needed at least one to accomodate those size files.  An added plus is that I gained some valuable horizontal space for my stereo system.  I am sure that, if it got heavy use, it wouldn't last more than ten years but it should meet my purposes.  I was surprised that it was pretty much all real wood.  No particle board in the piece at all.  But the quality just was not what I had hoped.  I have purchased 100% wool area rugs from this company before and was very pleased with the quality so I had hoped this would be the same....not quite.

I have always tended to favor antique furniture for tables, cabinets, dressers and chests of drawers, dining and occasional chairs.  I like antique chests and cupboards.  I am conducting a long, quiet hunt for a large step-back cupboard for my kitchen.  I have an idea of what I want but I will know it when I see it.  I know for certain that it has to have glass doors on top or open shelves as I don't have the space to leave blind doors open to display things. 

I have never liked antique beds or even headboards that could be converted to modern use.  Just too heavy and bulky for my taste.  In fact we don't even have a headboard right now because I have not found one that I like for our new king-sized bed.  I want metal but I want it to be light and airy to match the cottage feel of our bedroom. 

I also don't like antique upholstered pieces unless they can be taken back to the frame and restuffed with modern materials.  No dusty horsehair stuffed furniture in my house!  I have a couple of upholstered occasional chairs that I liked the shape of and they were dirt cheap at an auction so I bought them and had them rebuilt with fresh foam and fabric.  I am happy with them but I probably could have purchased exactly what I wanted in good quality for about the same price from a furniture store.  Too late I learned that these older chairs are too short for my family.  They sit too close to the floor for us to be comfortable in for everyday use...but they are great for bedrooms. 

We will be facing this issue in a few more years as I have a Lane chair in the living room that we both just love.  It reclines but it does not look like one of those bulky old grandpa recliners.  It is a great sized chair with exposed legs and is firm and comfortable.  I found something similar but it was so skimpy in its construction and mechanism that I would probably have this one recovered when the time comes.  They just don't make things like they did even ten years ago when we bought this one. 

I plan to put antique storage pieces in the bathrooms when I remodel them.  Of course, moisture is always an issue with wood pieces in a bathroom so I will be looking for something that I can paint to protect...or maybe an old dentist or medical cabinet.  I could just see one of those with the old storage jars for swabs and cotton balls, etc.

Oh well, a bit of Sunday morning dreaming....

0 Kudos