cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor

Back to cast iron cooking

I have different sizes of cast iron skillet.  I have two for cornbread and a very large one with lid.  Spage tti is good, also i make pineapple upside down cake, sometime using apples in stead of pineapple.I brown fish on both  sides, then put it in the oven to bake with the lid on, so good  We had our own trout pond and those trout were so good. Development above us ruined our pond.  At one time we processed our own pork.  I fried it in the big iron skillet and canned it, also cubed the ham and canned it, because we were not good at curing it, too salty. 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Back to cast iron cooking

I make cornbread in mine and actually grab it first over the others that size.  Wish I had a large chicken fryer and thinking about getting a griddle for pancakes.  The small square one I have (not cast iron) is from my great aunt and has a wooden handle which I have to be careful of.

Saw a tutorial on internet about putting the pans in the oven when you clean so the rust would come off.  ??   Try to be careful so I don't have that problem.

My grandmother had (I think mom has now) what looks like a cast iron but is lighter fry pan.  Being a sucker for nostalgia I will latch onto it when the time comes.  Not sure what the material is.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I have a large griddle received as a gift. It is wonderful for pancakes, grilled cheese etc. I also use it to toast bread since only one person eats toast and not often so I do not keep the toaster handy. I do recommend the griddle.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I love my large cast iron griddle. Great for cooking over a campfire. Nothing smells better than bacon cooking outdoor on a fall day.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

We have a huge cast iron wok, preseasoned, , but Mike just will not use it. It is perfect for setting down into an open " lid" over the wood cookstove firebox. I am going to try and trmpt him with My fried rice recipe, substituting cauliflower for the rice.
0 Kudos