cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advisor

Bad sign...

After my lab practicla this afternooin, I left school and went to get my hooves trimmed, which I had let go a couple weeks overdue, due to being sick.  This nail salon has the TV on all the time, and about four, a breaking news bulletin came on, showing a bank robbery with hostages situation in Cary, NC.  Four schools were put on locdkdown, and a daycare center was evacuated. 

The situation was not much better at about six, shen the news showed two female hostages being allowed out the door, leaving two hostages and the robber inside. By 6:15, the armed gunman had been shot and killed by a sniper's gun.  . 

Mike commented that it has been very busy for bank robberies the last few months...we went for years without one, it seemed, and now, it is at least once a week.  The bank across the street from ours in town was robbed week before last.  I know the economy is terrible here, but this really never turns out well, except in the movies. 

Have you folks noticed an uptick in this type of crime where you live, too? 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Bad sign...

Heard just this morning a motel had been robbed.  Too soon for details & haven't had the news on (tax appt. tomorrow).  How much can you possibly get from a motel?  Mostly credit card transactions I would think.

Hate hearing about things like happened near you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

This is just as bad. Alcohol and stupidity do not mix. Thank goodness the animal is resilient.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/article_7259378d-9f71-50cc-a44a-73cf527f66dc.html

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I just wanted to cry when I read that!  Hell isn't good enough for that bunch.

I think I told you we had taken in a stray dog before Christmas...Mike is such a softie, he picked her up when someone dumped her at the house of our deceased neighbor.  It cost a small fortune to get her vet care up to speed, but she's great now. 

Now that the Heathen have taken to her, she can come in the house with them in the evenings.  She has taken to lying on the chaise with me, the way LG always did before she passed away.  It is like she sensed the puppy love I was missing. 

Tonight, as she crawled up beside me and laid her head on my chest, I looked her right in the eyes and asked her, "Suzie, how could anyone throw your sweet soul away?" 

That is probably one of the saddest things about these times, that people are leaving their pets in record numbers to die in shelters, or simply tossing them out.  When I snuggle with this little mutt every evening now, I realize how lucky we are that she found us, right when I would need her love the most. 

That bank robber was a 19-year-old kid.  So sad to think this was all he will ever make of himself. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Perhaps getting people's credit card info on receipts is better than money for some thieves.  You can only spend the cash that's taken from a drawer, but the info opens up all the credit limits available for all of the guests who got hit in that one.  You never know. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

the dog we "gave" to my MIL came the SAME day that I had gotten rid of her dog.  I took her dog to the pound as it wasn't doing her any good and she was in the care center.  It was itchy, big, obnoxious basically.  I came home to the guys and they said that they found a dog like our sam near our hay bales.  Minnie as we call her has been a wonderful dog.  She stayed at my mother-in-laws for 4 months with just us checking and feeding her.  And giving her love.  She would roll over to have her tummy scratched.  Never once a problem.  Now my mil has her in her house.  She hasn't once made a mess.  She is calm and doesn't race through the house and knock you down.  why would anyone not want her.  My kids wanted her at our house, but we already have two dogs and our sam did not like her.  One time the guys saw two bassett hounds walking down the road way out in the country.  Word got to the local veterinarian and he called my hairdresser who has a bassett hound.  Well she ended up with three! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

It is great that there are people like you who are able to take care of strays. I honestly do not know why there are so many that do not value life in any form. For example, in the last year there has been 8 people that have committed suicide. All were under 25. There is much more to experience in life after that age that they will never know. Murders have also increased in Lincoln. 15 years ago, the crime really never occurred. Now it is becoming too common.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

We probably "shouldn't" spend what we do on the dogs; but, I figure that if we pay all of our bills, keep health and life insurance over our heads, and put the max allowed into our retirement every year, then the rest is sort of our freedom of choice to spend as we see fit.  When you have a guy who is as sweet as mine, you expect to factor this sort of rescue in every so often.  It's his nature. 

I had initial doubts about Suzie.  She is of uncertain but apparently tough parentage...sort of argumentative and strong-willed at first.  Now, Mike's worked with her outside long enough that she minds, and the pecking order in the pack has worked itself out over the past couple of months.  She is perfectly housebroken, has learned some manners, and is probably the most affectionate dog I've ever seen. 

You would have thought she had gotten supreme orders to fix my broken heart.  She does not fill the hole left by LG's passing, but she has managed to slap on a pretty big patch job lately. 

I coinsider this kid who killed himself in this stupid hostage situation yesteday to ahve been a suicide...reports say he told the bank staff to call 911 as soon as he walked in the door.  Not exactly a typical instruction from a real robber. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Kay, we don't normally get the Peoria, IL paper but I read it today while waiting for DH to get a haircut.  Right on the inside 1st page was a report of Cary, NC - the robbery you spoke of.  Not as much info but definitely the same.

Too bad.

As for the suicide issue.  The larger town near us has had so many high school & young adult suicides that they started a new group to cope, prevent & study the issue.  Trying to get more hotline help for those that need it.

Sure makes you wonder why at such young ages. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

Last weekend a 13 year old committed suicide in a nearby small town.  Word on the street is that he was bullied.  Again, this was a small rural ag community.  How sad.

0 Kudos