cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Baits, traps & repellants?

The mouse issue at Jenna's house, which I wrote about this summer, is seemingly under control. Between the peppermint oil I deployed, and Mike stuffing every crack that he could reach under built-in cabinets with 0000 steel wool, the baits are practically untouched now.

Here in NC, we aren't quite as successful, but we aren't hearing rustling in the pantry at night anymore, so maybe the bold ones bit the dust, at least. Mike used to run a trapline, and sometimes had to clear and reset it several times a day, at least in key locations. Nowhere near that bad now, thank goodness.

Here, the pest du jour is ants. The invasion commenced a week or so ago, so I grabbed the Terro borax-based baits at Lowe's yesterday afternoon.

Have just deployed one under the trashcan slide-out beneath the main kitchen sink. I can deal with them down low, just not marching through the berry bowl on the countertop.

While browsing pesticides, I picked up a package of fresh pantry moth baits. I had never heard of these pheromone and sticky board baits, until a few years ago. Haven't had a bag of buggy cornmeal or ruined canister of flour since. This two- pack gave me one to use near the birdcage, since his seed sack either hatches or draws them.

I just couldn't make myself buy fly strips for the houseflies that are getting in and dying in droves in Virginia these colder days. They gravitate to one south-facing window, and perish there en masse. Thursday night, they migrated to the warmth and light of the big TV screen, calling for a swatting expedition.

I know this very cold weekend should put an end to the fly problem. Hopefully the fleas that have become immune to Frontline ad well.

At least the vermin we are fighting now have some seasonal natural limits. The truth is, we have to stay on our toes, or we will find ourselves back ealing with them underfoot, overhead, etc.

What is trying to move in with you right now, and how are you staking out your turf?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Re: Baits, traps & repellants?

It is cold enough here now that we should be okay for a while. I was in a farm store recently and was surprised at the variety of products like you are talking about, remember I am not a shopper. I did not see the pantry one. We had a late influx of ants and I bought the little Terro boxes that holds the liquid and used these with success. We pulled out the old shrubbery to side the house and the soil got scrapped back in some places. Then the grubs, they eat the grass root, showed up on top of the ground and just lay there. I tried smashing them which did not work and a couple of other things until I found something that killed them. Then I purchased a powder to put on top of the soil but with the large areas here it would take an enorous amount. Seems like it is always something different.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Milky spore for the grubs? Yes, it is very pricey.
0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

I had put some apple peelings on the back porch floor in a box & next morning we had ants even in this cold 9 degree weather.   These ants come up from the foundation against the house.  Sand fill under the concrete we poured for foundation of the porch. Warm enough they just keep on coming.  I sprayed some home invasion pest spray down in the crack against the house & so far so good.

0 Kudos
Husker-J
Senior Contributor

Have you all had good luck with Moth Balls?

I have a 'mousey' smell in my 19 year old pickup I park in the shed that sometimes has cattle pellets in it, and wonder if moth balls would keep them out.   Last time, I used some industrial mouse bait I found on Amazon (worked REALLY well, but then I had to smell 'dead mouse carcass' in the pickup for a month as it seemed that they all crawled into the heater ducts to die).

I'm thinking moth balls to chase them out of the pickup, and then I'll bait them, hoping they die somewhere else.

However, if moth balls don't work, I don't know if I want my pickup to smell like dead mouse carcass crossed with moth balls.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I would try oil of peppermint, full strength on some cotton balks. Smells fresh, and they are avoiding where I put mine. Freshen the oil every month, at minimum.
0 Kudos