cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Suey73
Advisor

Being a grandma is hard work.

DGD  has been here since Thursday.  And before that I spent 2 days there getting aquainted.   Night time seems to be the hardest.  I'm tired and ready to just sit.  She is getting her second wind.   At 10:30 she has no choice sleep while rocking or cry yourself to sleep.   Trying to understand her schedule and why she is crying is just a different stress than we are use to.     She loves looking at the kitties at our front door.   And her favorite toy is  the shoe strings in any shoe sitting around.    Her mom is in Europe on and Ill. Farm Bureau trip.    DGD is 9 and 1/2 months old and is SOOOO close to walking... but she is not to walk til Wed. when we take her back.    She loves anything electronic with buttons... so she is right here anytime I get on the computer trying to grab something.. or wanting up.   HU OH.  here she comes. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
dairy mom
Senior Contributor

Re: Being a grandma is hard work.

Believe it or not I have never had any of the grands completely to myself.  Not for more than the time for a dinner out.  Still too busy and too many have to do responsibilities here on the farm.  Plus they all live so far away, that the grands are never here without their mom and dad.

My brother and I used to take the greyhound bus to spend time in the summer with our grandparents.  Maybe our 2nd son will be agreeable to some arrangement like that in a few years when his oldest is a little older.  Not that I would ever consider  putting a child traveling alone on a bus like my brother and I could do back in the 60's.  No way in today's world.

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Yes, it is a different world.  Makes me nervous to see a kid of any age walking alone even in our little town.

I have had the grands here without parents but only during the day.  Once or twice overnight is all.  With chores/milking I couldn't be inside to supervise.  Now that our life is changing maybe we will have more of that.

Suey, I saw the picture of your little one and I can just visualise her getting into all kinds of things; keeping you really busy.  What a cutie she is and looks like so much fun.  Enjoy. 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

You get the prize, for taking on such a tiny child for such a long visit. I imagine the bedtime issues have to do with missing her Mama. She may give your daughter a fit about being left again when she gets home...or worse, may hurt her feelings by ignoring her.

It is pitiful when they are too little to tell you what's bothering them. Breaks your heart.
0 Kudos
Suey73
Advisor

We feel very humbled that both of her parents considered us capable of taking her this long.    I am concerned about Mommy.   Her picture has been up on Facebook a couple of times  and DGD  didn't  reconize her.   I don't know if  a 9 month old can recongize  someone in a picture or not.     Today has been a rough day for her.   I think we are teething a little.  Up early,  wanting more bottles than normal.   Right now she is napping,  yep,  it is 7:30 pm.   just want her to get a 20 minute nap,  so we can make it to a regular bedtime.    

I know  I could not have left my DD  at nine months.    

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I cannot remember the developmental age that kids start to recognize 2- dimensional representations of people they know...but, nine months sounds a bit young to have her connect the two.

I know what you mean about feeling humbled to be entrusted with your grandchild. When daughter was making plans to come back to work after Winn was born, she had an elaborate schedule figured out in the abstract. With SIL's swing shifts, being called in besides that, and our crazy trucking schedule, she thought she would be able to manage it. I had been around the infant block enough times to know it was not feasible.

I knew it would be a nightmare, and said, " Honey, get him on a regular schedule, and I will work with you to keep him, when you come back to work." You could see her just relaxing into the idea.

i kept him every day, until well after Jenna passed. Then, I helped get him acclimated to his other grandma, so she could take two mornings and one evening riding lesson each week. He stays with me MWF and again Friday evening, and again if Sunday afternoon , if they decide to take a trail ride.

They drop in unannounced in between times as well...tonight, it was to meet Mack the Beagle we adopted today. The two of them seemed to hit it off very well.

I thought I was going back to work when our first was born...couldn't take my eyes off him.
0 Kudos
Suey73
Advisor

Thank you Lord for Oragel!   My Happy Baby is back! 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Some things never change, do they?
0 Kudos