cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Book 'the sociopath next door'

I was advised to read this book and it is enlightening and scary. 4 percent of the population has no conscience. And they are not all serial killers but the people we deal with daily. Four out of every hundred people you know could have no conscience, none.

The advice is to avoid the people your instincts tell you to avoid. Use the rule of three, after three lies you are dealing with a liar. Suspect flattery. Redefine your concept of respect. Question your tendency to pity too easily. Do not try to redeem the unredeemable. Author is Martha Stout, PH D

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Book 'the sociopath next door'

Think I have seen this author interviewed a year or so ago. May see if Kindle can handle it. I need that kind of guidance right now.

BTW, unless it is one of those " social grace" kind of little white lies, one lie is the limit with me.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

My rule of thumb is if my dogs don't like you then I don't need to deal with you either. 

Senior Contributor

I have a sil that was married to a pathological liar.  Really nice charming guy but if he would rather tell a lie about anything rather than the truth.  Even when the truth was perfectly good and didn't hurt a thing.  Just couldn't help himself.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Totally agree...they can sense it!
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

You say that your SIL " was married" to this liar. Did she divorce him, or kill him?
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

divorced him.  And thank God he was in the Army because they made sure she saw every penny of child support she was suppose to get cause on his own she probably wouldn't have seen any.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Good for her, and better for the kids! I don't know how she stood him lomg enough to have them...I just cannot abide a lar!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I am at the end of this enlightening book. It is a small book but full of info and explains lots of people. If one only knows 100 people 4 of them are probably sociopaths. (our renter) These people are not capable of love and are totally bored with life due to no feelings.

The butral Genghis Khan has 16 million descendents that have his Y chromosome due to rapes and could have the sociopathic genes.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

So do you consider it merely a genetic disorder or can it be caused by "nurture" side of the coin? Does the book have any ways to treat the disorder if you suspect a child exhibiting early signs? Just wondering if it is all obersvations without a way to prevent the disorder other than preventing the offspring with this gene to reproduce?

0 Kudos