cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Re: Boring Olympic Opening Ceremony

Sensing a theme here...guys don't seem to watch the opening ceremonies, figure skating, etc.  I can't think of when we've watched a halftime show, even on the Super Bowl...I guess it's sort of like musical theater. 

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

As I happens the viewers in America did not see the whole of the ceremony as it happened,   several parts were not shown, One where you saw the Michael Phelps interview,     which was where the war dead were honored, when the stadium was silent for one minute.    There was also a reference to the Munich Olympics which was not shown in the US,      I watched an interview after the show on BBC with Michael Johnson ,he was asked if he thought the Americans would understand it , in reply he said "I don't think they will get the point, its only the fact I live and work in the UK that I could understand it"   .  

It was truly a British way of doing things so if you found it boring you would be disappointed,   

Another thing what some people did not get was why a recognizes person did not light the Flame.   Well infant seven well known sports people, each one of who could have lit the flame in their own right,    Steve Redgrave, Kelly Holmes, and five others ,elected to nominate seven young people that had reached high standards in the sport of the nominators.

Whichever way, it was not a false facade , unlike the Barcelona lighting where the flame was alight before the arrow flew past it.    And the Beijing where thousands of children were regimented in to fill empty places.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I thought the lighting of the flame was very cool and what a great way to introduce kids into sports and the pagentry of the Olympics.  I wish I would have seen the honoring of the war dead AND the Munich games because that would have been interesting to me.  I haven't talked to my mom but I know our neighbor back home was geared up for the London games.  She was a WWII bride and still calls England home.  Very nice lady and I try to visit her every time I get home.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Having been in HS  Marching Band and even a flag girl in College   I appreciate a good Marching Band Half-time show.    I don't appreciate the rock stars, fireworks, or lazer light shows.  Learning one of those routines did take hours the instrumental people in college  they had to memorize their music and we had to learn new routines every 2 weeks.   I really like pregame.   Once you learned it  we rarely practiced it again after the 2nd week.     One funny time.   the flag girls and pompom girls are standing in a line with our backs to the drum major.   After 3 tweets on his whistle we were to raise our flags, turn, and march to next spot. 

Tweet, Tweet, Tweet... all flags come up,   we turn and...... no drum..   Rest of band is snickering.  While the drum major is looking at his whistle.   Someone in the stands had done it.  Drum Major said it was great.   Probably the most together the flags had ever been! 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I just heard today about the network choosing to cut those portions.  Think it is appalling behavior on their part.

No wonder the world hates Americans when those kinds of choices are made.  Makes your attitude towards our feelings about the ceremony much more understandable.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I think having a delay in broadcasting instead of live made it less special, too. The reviews i read were all over the board. Seems like either loved it or didnt like it much. I appreciate the clarification on some of the elements.

BTW....i am really enjoynig the gymnastics competition!
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

You do know why the GI's married British Girls don't you. ???      was to get away from their Mother's in-law.

0 Kudos