cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Advisor

Broken Zippers

In the past 2 months we have had:  3 hooded sweatshirts,  and 2 winter coats  loose their zippers.   The coats were worn out just trying to make it to the end of the season.   All 3 sweatshirts are heavyduty and lined.   By the time I'd rip out the zippers and attempt to replace the zipper  it is easier to just buy new sweatshirts,   Just waiting for the farm stores to put them on 40+% off.  

Does anyone else get tired of having the zippers wear out before the jacket  is worn out?    

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Advisor

Re: Broken Zippers

We seem to have trouble with the zippers on Carharts and Cabellas. For what they charge those zippers should outlast the fabric.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

My crowd hasn't had this issue so much. I think the original Lee brand sweat/hoodies we bought when we bought this farm in 1994 are still hanging around, holey, but zippers intact.

The Timberland lined ones I bought last year and some more Eddie Bauer ones I added this winter - both from Sam's - look like new. Oddly enough, you could not find a hoodie at all there this year...an effect of the Trayvon Martin case?

I got Schmidt's from Tractor Supply on clearance for myself, and they are really cozy, with that shaggy fleece inside...so glad I had them this year. Do you know if that brand holds up very well?

I think once it takes more time to fix something than a new one costs, in terms of your time, it is time for the rag bag....

0 Kudos
Advisor

Just hate to put my dusty rose/pink sweatshirt in the rag bag.  It only has a couple of spots of blue marking chaulk on it.  No holes.  And it was on it's second year.    I liked the pink  since it helped keep everyone else/DH  from wearing it.    I don't like the white fleece lined ones.   In nothing flat that fleece is a constant dirty gray.   Those are the ones on sale right now.   These were Bernie and Carhart sweatshirts and jackets.   Both metal and plastic zippers. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I bought one last yr. With a lifetime zipper so they said but it broke faster than anything.
Store had discontinued handling so I was out of luck. I've tried expensive, middlde of the road, plastic & metal. Sure wish they made them to last.
0 Kudos
Advisor

I think a local shoe repair place in our area(, buffalo center iowa) might still do the replacement. I know they used to put them in insulated coveralls, work coats and gun cases. Might be worth checking.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

DH had two break just in the past three weeks. I would try replacing zipper once. Can the zippers be purchased?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

You might try a dry cleaners.  There is one in our area that will do zippers, snaps, etc. 

0 Kudos