cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Building again, and good things to eat!

...waiting for Mike to return with an airhose fitting for his new pneumatic nail gun. Our old one's batteries couldn't be replaced, and Lowe's had no exact matches for it, so we switched to the air type, since we have a compressor and long airhose here.

We got the load of lumber, nails, etc., and were here by three...heat of the afternoon, but a few degrees cooler here than in Carolina. Mike trimmed all the posts level on top, so as soon as he returns, we start nailing up the plates, then I expect he will get rafters mostly up tomorrow, while I attend an instructional meeting in a neighboring county. Then again, he may fix fence while I am gone. Thisproject has a loosely-defined deadline....

That meeting will take from about 8:30 until 3:30. Long day to sit still.

I know I swore off building a couple of years ago...but, the rabbits, deer and groundhogs are carrying my garden away, one bite at a time. It would cost almost as much to fence the garden that is being taken over by the monster strawberry plants, as it will to build this, and this extends the growing season by several months.

I am a better fall gardener than spring one now. I cannot say quite why, but we are SO busy with hay, I guess August is less harried.

Winn's pumpkins are up, with his sunflowers and Indian corn, a pretty blue variety. His first crop of sweet corn is tasseling now, and we are getting cucumbers, zucchini and yelliw squash, plus onions and tomatoes. This kid came in and sliced cucumbers for breakfast this morning, and ate them, with ranch dressing.

We had a feast of fresh vegetables for supper last night, with leftovers for tonight. I was fed a handful if blackberries, too. Winn likes to see me make faces when I eat a sour one. Hoping this greenhouse will supply some vitamins and prebiotics into our diet this fall.

Are any of you eating your own garden produce yet?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

Re: Building again, and good things to eat!

Our garden is finally really growing after a little much needed rain causing it to just stand still. Raspberries almost gone and we have very good lettuce and onions and broccoli and small potatoes almost ready. Other crops are now blooming since the rains.

0 Kudos
manureseller
Senior Contributor

I gave up on a garden years ago...I just don't have the time it seems like to keep up a decent garden.  I'd love to have one but I've taken to buying my freash veggies at either a farmers market or my neighbor keeps me in yummies through out the summer.  I'm actually doing something called Bountiful Baskets where you pay $20 a time to get 50% freash veggies and 50% freash fruit.  They have weekly pickup but you can pick and choose when you want to do it.  The downside is that you have a set time to pick it up or you lose your basket and it gets donated to a soup kitchen or fire dept. or some such thing.  I got my parents started on it as they have pickups in their area as well and since it's just the two of them they can get a basket every few weeks and it'll last awhile.  My sister started doing it as well for her family.  The produce is always nice and freash which is a plus.  The $20 a week is what you would spend or more in the grocery store it seems.  I ordered for this week and added on 9 pts of Blueberries for $18 (in the store they are going for $3.99 a pint) as well as a 4th of July hostess pack which is even more veggies.  I'm actually splitting mine with my MIL this time around so that's why I ordered extra.  You don't get to pick what is in your basket but this is how I found out about Pomogrants...LOL 

The website is www.bountifulbaskets.org if anyone wants to see if they have sites in your area.

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

This program seems to be really spreading quickly so it must be a real success.  Twenty dollars would not have bought much at the huge market where I sold for ten years. It is in a large college town. Good deal. Good seeds and plants are expensive too.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I guess that is what you call a CSA? Sounds quite reasonable, at least for a smaller family.

Seeds and plants have gotten very high, Turkey. I am trying to make sure not to waste even one!
0 Kudos
manureseller
Senior Contributor

Like I've said we've had good luck so far.  I'll update after tomorrow and let you know if it's still a good deal.  Smiley Very Happy

0 Kudos