cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Camelot plus fifty years?

Seems every show and magazine are doing Kennedy retrospectives now, honoring his assassination fifty years ago this week. Bringing back lots of memories, rousing new theories of conspiracies.

This is our generation's moment of universal consciousness...anyone who is a Boomer is said to recall where they were when they heard that our President had been shot. I was a fourth-grader on my school bus. An older student ( I still remember which one) told those of us from the classroom trailers that they had seen the story on TV in the main building.

I won't say I am enjoying this recent coverage, since that was, in many ways, a very frightening time for our country. Anyone else want to share your " where I was" story?
0 Kudos
26 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Camelot plus fifty years?

I was ironing in front of our black and white tv with a baby and a toddler. DH at work. I well remember the shock and then watching tv when Oswald was shot right on camera.  It appears the cover up of the real conspiracies was well done or is it just that the story just won't die?

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I was born in 64 so don't remember any Kennedy things.

I do remember where I was when John Lennon was shot though.

A bunch of us in FFA where playing another school's FFA in broom ball.

That is where you duct tape a kitchen broom up and play hockey using a tennis ball and you are on the ice rink in your tennis shoes.

We had heard the news and stopped playing a bit and just had that "wow" moment of how someone could do that.

I look back on my high school days and all my good memories are of the FFA and our school farm.  I lived in a city in CA. of over 200,000 and those were the best days on that farm.

S.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I thought I was older than you Kay.  I was in 3rd grade and they called an assembly.  I can still remember the principal crying as he told us. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Born in '62, don't remember!  I do remember the day Elvis died, the beginning of Desert Storm, the day of the San Francisco earthquake in 1989 and the day the twin towers were attacked.  I think the Kennedy assasination is very interesting, I haven't read very deep into it though.  The whole Kennedy clan is amazing.  Is there another family in history that has made such an impact?

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Re:boy I guess I started not being good with dates a long time ago

I was in 5th grade when Kennedy died.  Funny how I always associate his death with that principal crying and I associate that principal with the 3rd grade even though I was in that school in 3rd, 4th and 5th grade.

Probably because 3rd grade was when my family bought a new house and moved and that was a pivotal moment in my childhood.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: Re:boy I guess I started not being good with dates a long time ago

So, you are just barely older than me...it does get hard to ferret out specfic events as the years flash by. That one was so startling, because we were so sheltered then.

The TV coverage was total, which was something we had never seen before...not the way they trump everything out of proportion today. I am actually surprised how much detail I remember...but then, it has been telecast off and on for half a century now.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

The Kennedy legacy is more one of lost promise than anything to me. JFK killed in office, Bobby shot during the primaries a few years later, and Teddy with the Senate seat...the incident where Mary Jo Kopeckne drowned I think kept him from ever reaching for the White House. Then, there was the loss of John, Jr.

Caroline seems destined for a life in public service. I would not be surprised to hear her name pop up, if Hillary steps to the side.
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

I was going through the lunch line at school.  The cooks had just heard it on the radio.  By the time lunch was over, other radios had been set up and we listened from our classrooms.        

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

question

Which do you think had a bigger impact on the life of American citizens the   JFK assination or the 9/11 attack?

0 Kudos