cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Can you leave home with livestock? & storms

It seems we can never leave lately that something doesn't get out.  Sunday we took Brian down to relatives for a camping trip and we got a call 2 hrs. from home.  Heifers were out on the road.  Neighbors & the guy cutting our hay got them back in.  These gals are the most rambunctous we've ever had.  Pushed a panel gate down.

This morning looked out and the fat cattle are mixed in with the young stock.  Aargh!!  Will be quite an adventure with just me & the farmer sorting.  Sounds like fun, right? 

We had quite a storm here last night & yesterday.  A tornado was reportedly spotted but not sure on that.  Anyway, flooding & lots of big trees down knocking out power.  DH was saying how good our corn looked after our trip-not so this morning.  Flattened.  And our low field has lots of water.  I swear I'm gonna tape that man's mouth shut.

That probably isn't a bad idea considering the chore at hand sorting livestock.  Always blue smoke coming from him.  LOL

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Can you leave home with livestock? & storms

Linda, thunderstorms are forecast almost every afternoon when we get hot enough. We try not to leave if daughter is going to be gone. That said, we have the emergency generator that switches on automatically, and alarm systems that call us when power malfunctions anywhere.

I feel your pain on sorting stock this morning. I always said the true test of our marriage was. sorting out and loading top hogs for market. I think our first Blue Heeler dog beat any form of counseling known to mankind.

We could really use some rain in VA. Are due for some in NC. A front is sort of promising, as is this tropical system off Florida. Mike is pumping the highest lagoon now, to make sure we are good if that comes through and we get that foot of rain that can come with that kind of storm.

We do jinx ourselves it seems. We commented this spring that our porch screens had made it since we built, without a single replacement...hurricanes, nor' easters and all. Then, I shoved the birdcage too close to one of them, and the bugger ruined two huge screens...just pecked holes everywhere. Mike and the hired man finally fixed it Friday.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Linda that is why I stay close to home!  we were supposed to go to Arizona this winter, but am glad we didn't with the cold we had.  Could not imagine leaving the mess we had this last few days to a hired man.  I guess I was home alone for Sunday night into Monday till noon.  I could only do so much myself.  Thought about calling the hired man, but he had trees down in his yard.  Guy that rents the pasture adjancent to us helped fix the flood gate where the old bridge went out.  We knew the bridge was going to go someday!  Road used to be our sledding hill! 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

One time we left for the week-end and 30 minutes later got a phone message that the power in the barns was off. Turned around. It happens.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Alarm systems are such a mixed blessing in some ways. Ours have allowed us to have ehat we have been told is the " safest farm in the system" in a huge company and network of contract growers. Then again, you can get a gremlin in the electronics, and it will call in the wee hiurs for nights on end.

In our case, certain humidity conditions at the right temps can set off a string of calls for several nights on end. It gets to be tempting not to check...but, you know the first time you don't, it will be a disaster.

We test alarms every week, including a genset test. It flunked one a few months ago, and the repairs were expensive...even with Mike catching that it was the transfer switch motor, instead of the electronic guts themselves.

We finally have a hired man who wants to do the walkthroughs on weekends, for extra cash. That lets us get away, even when daughter is gone to horse shows. It has taken twenty years to get to this point. Too long....
0 Kudos

There are some new products out now that you may be interested in and they are begining to become more and more popular. check out a product called CheckVideo at www.checkvideo.com. any more a security system alone can be a hassel, but these type of systems are smarter and can tell if whats moving around is a dog, cow, car, or even a person. These systems can be set to alert you only if its a person and not a dog, and you can set them to only notify you after 5pm (or times and days of your choice). with a system like this you could know everything is ok till you get a text and a 10 sec video clip of whats going on. with that knowledge you then can call the police with a video verified event that they will respond to alot faster than just an alarm going off.

0 Kudos