cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Car styles/models

since you all are talking about car colors, I thought I'd throw in another thought.  Doesn't it seem like all the car makers are using the same mold and just naming a car differant for its "Maker"?  Kind of like cows.  If its black its angus, if its red and white its a hereford, if its white is a charlois!  And they have to keep changing the looks on them.  I really liked my old explorer and my old jeep, but just like jeans, once you find a style you like and fits your right, they change it! 

10 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Car styles/models

You are so right..   I used to be able to identify car makes but now it seems like you have to get right up on them to see what emblem they have to know what they are.   Many years ago, I finally found the perfect vehicle for me and of course it is no longer made - Ford Excursion.   I have over 250K on my first one and it is still my daily driver.    We have another one that we bought that is several years newer and a lot less miles but not sure what I will do when either finally give up the ghost.    We do have a smaller & newer car but its just not the same..  Its not as comfortable on a long trip and some other things.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I used to complain more about vehicles changing...then, I had someone point out how much of that change is due to safety improvements, and efficiency, I can see where a lot of it is necessary.

Since I am required to buy a white SUV every time, and white seems to always be available, I am not disappointed.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Yep, those smaller cars may be more fuel efficient, but if they aren't comfortable enough for long drives, then how many trips will they be used on? It seems like there isn't much of a balance in that category. What will they think of next?

0 Kudos
Advisor

I drive a Silver Toyota Corolla.   Have had it for about 3 years now.   I find it more comfortable than my Ford Tarus.    I have driven 6 hours in a day about every six weeks.   (trip to get DGD  and to return her)    I get about 40 mpg.   I do wish it had more leg room in the back seat... but  I am driving 99% of the time.    Corollas and Chevy Cruzes  look just alike.    Wish it had a radio antenna.   I use to have a Red, White and Blue star on the top.   Makes it easier to tell your car.   Must be honest.. I tried to get in some body's  silver Camery one day.   So yes,  they do look alike.     It has air bags everywhere.    But,  if I was going to be in an accident  I'd rather be in the new Dodge Ram 2500. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

No cars for this girl...it's either a pickup or a mini van it seems around here.  Todd's company vehicle is a mini van and I grew up with them so they aren't that bad.  So much room with the stow and go seating.  We have to make sure we have enough room for dog kennels when traveling it seems so.  We aren't die hard 1 company, more of what fits our needs.  When I was looking for a new pickup for work I mainly wanted some type of built in blue-tooth and ended up with liking the Ford the best.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

You gals sure of fond of your vehicles. My favorite was the three Volkswagen Beatles we had. The diesel one was a straight stick and got 54 mpg. I had to give it up due to problems with my leg and shifting. The second one also got great mileage but later DH had trouble getting in. We have our second Subaru, an Outback which I really like how easy it is to drive and gets very good mileage (34mpg on interstate) and is very comfortable. We will probably replace it with the same model. It is burgundy. I want to be seen while driving on the road especially in bad weather.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

want a truck, but the mileage is a big thing with me driving 25 miles one way to work everyday.  Would love Jeep too but still no gas mileage.  We are Ford people, so kinda have to stick with that side.  Drive a newer Taurus, but DH doesn't like it and I am getting to where I would like something else, but it isn't paid for yet.  Get approx 24 mpg on my drive, better if longer drives.  Edge we really liked except it got 19 mpg.  Gonna have to keep expenses down with crop prices like they are.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

My dad sold cars for years-Ford/Mercury-so we always drove that brand.  DH still has Ford truck but we got a really good deal on the mini van when we got our first one.  Beings our son still lives with us & goes with us most times, we need back seet leg room.  So many of the vehicles are so cramped in the back seat. 

When DIL got backended they were given a Ford Explorer for their rental while repairs were made.

It was supposed to seat 6-7 passengers.  However, that 3rd row could only hold midgets or toddlers.

Absolutely no leg room.  I actually was looking at a SUV before our last van purchase, but the mileage was worse & the 3rd row was terrible.  We often have the 3 grandkids along so . . .

And I also like being able to lay the whole thing down (Stow n Go) to haul whatever.  The stow/go does make the step a little higher to get in which is hard for my mom.

DH was a steel worker so I'm afraid no foreign name vehicles will be here even if they are made in USA.  The headquarters are in ???.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

We get around 31 mpg on Jenna's VW Jetta, and that's a 2009...I am sure they have worked up efficiency more than that by now.  That's with manual tranny...automatic costs you about 4 mpg, from the listed stats. 

I prefer driving the Mazda CX-7, which is an '07, but it gets only 20-21 mpg.  Supposed to seat five, but legroom is sacrificed in back if you use it for leggy people up front.  I love that car, though, even though it runs on premium, so even more $$$$. 

I think my favorite car ever was my 1995 Mustang, GT 5.0, 5-speed, Canary Yellow.  It was my midlife crisis car.  I loved to hit 100 with the windows down and the stereo cranked up on "Mustang Sally".  Yes, I know that was wrong, but I am over it now. 

0 Kudos