cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Certified mail?

Don't you hate it when you get a certified letter notice in the box late on Friday, the post office is already closed for the weekend, and you have to wait until you can get there on Monday to pick it up?

Our mail comes at two, if by then, the PO closes at three, so hardly time to know it and get there. The carrier has the letter on the route, and may or may not make it back before the lobby closes. No Saturday hours, so no chance to get it today.

Mike grabbed the notice before I could get home yesterday. I was due in to take over with Winn at around six. He headed to the post office, thinking it was still open until five. He didn't realize it closes for lunch, too. I usually stop at the one in the county seat, six miles in the opposite direction from the farm. Our receiving PO, six miles south of us, is less utilized, so has shorter hours.

Seeing the sender on the card only helps speculate as to what it might be. This time, it might be a check, or news I really do not want to receive. No way to know. Mike says " check". I am more cynical, since it involves my family.

I have never had any good news mailed out so it arrived on a Friday. I used to joke that lawyers must be taught to send things so recipients have to sit and stew all weekend.

Yes, I know this is a result of cutbacks in the USPS. If it's earth-shattering stuff, just as well to let it wait. If it's a check, can't bank it until Monday, either. It is just irksome to have another shoe waiting to drop.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Certified mail?

Just for your information. If the box on the salmon color paper above the identification numbers isn't checked, you can have the carrier deliver it to your box. Just sign and print your name in the space provided. Then put in box for carrier to pick up. The following day (may be more given the cutbacks) the carrier can deliver it to your box. Also calling the office where the carrier is starting duty to see if they can send it out on the route with the carrier to try again. Aren't they supposed to attempt in the first place? If they aren't, that is your carrier's fault and not the PO's. If the box is checked, you may have to figure out where the certified piece is being stored. Given the cutbacks that could be the closed office or not. The directions and office hours are usually on the paper to answer many of these questions.

And we do deliver certifieds from all kinds of offices on all days, not just limited to Fridays or Saturdays. Maybe that is something you will have grieve with the sender. At least you will know their bad behavior before even speaking to them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Certified mail?

Mike didn't read the whole card, so missed thevhours and uch. He knows now.

Sub carrier was on the roure yesterday, and again today...our regular carrier would have brought it to the house, and Mike would've signed for it.

We only have issues with special services when the sub is on.

Thanks for the info. I will send Mike or Winn and I will make a mail run on Monday, but we will call the PO first. The regular carrier would probably attempt delivery again....
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Yes and no...

Using your post, I looked back at the salmon-colored paper. The box is checked, such that I or my agent must take delivery of the item. I do see the spots for me to elect box delivery, should thst not have been checked, though.

There is no indication of the PO hours, phone number, even which PO it is. Funny, because I thought that I had used the number off the card in years past, to call and see if an item was in the PO, or out with the carrier.

Maybe they do not print them anymore, since hours are being cut back pretty hard, and might be cut even more. We'll have to look up the phone number on Monday, and Mike says he will run down there again to get it. Just hope no lawyers are needed, once it gets here....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Yes and no...

Check on usps.com for the phone number and hours for the post office in your area. It is really easy to use. Sorry to hear that the papers aren't standard anymore. Change is happening faster than the printing press can keep up. I'm just telling you how it is done at our office. Sorry for the confusion.

0 Kudos