cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Re: Changing gears

Excessive heat warnings here yesterday through tomorrow.  Heat index pushing 115.  As you say, brutal!

We have thermalarms in all of our buildings, plus power outage alarms for vent failures.  The temp alarms peg at a hundred.  That blocks that set of four buildings from signalling further alarms, until the temp falls back below a hundred, and the circuit on that system resets. 

Two of three production sites pegged yesterday, even with six fans per building turning top speed all day, and pigs playing in their waterers to stay cool, which creates some evaporative cooling effect.  Mike made hourly rounds throughout the day, to be sure all fans were on, until after the pegged alarms opened the circuits again. 

The pigs are top dog here...we have been told we run the safest farm in the system.  Costs a bit more, but I think it pays for itself in the long run. 

Mike gets all the credit for going the extra mile to protect animal welfare here.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I hope everything works out for you. I know here we are only getting 4 days between chickens, not much time to do anything. We are raising bigger birds, which take longer, which means a long time between checks. I never know what our checks will be, and sometimes you just have to spend money not knowing. I also hate to remodel and upgrade not knowing the economy. The beans are burning up, and the chickens are hot, but after all I guess it beats sitting in a office where you could go in one day and sent home the next. I think the farm women should handle the nations debt problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Contributor

Good time to take that trip to Europe you promised yourself the Kay.  Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Europe really doesn't appeal to me, or I would have already gone. Best friend and her husband invited us to share an Italian villa with them in the spring, but I have no desire to go very far. I can't say why.

I did tell Mike we ought to take a short trip, but when we put the supposed schedule on the calendar, the empty week is our daughter's due date with first grandchild. We'll just have to play it by ear, and maybe slip away for a couple of days....

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Hope you have crop insurance on the beans...with animal and poultry ag, it is always a crapshoot, too.

I have set my mind to accept this mess, and can manage through the shallow waters and miss most of the rocks. Whatbis irking me now is that if I get off kilter about anything else, Mike says, " I know you are upset about the pigs".

Well, DUH! But that is not why I am tired of putting up with grouchy behavior, and finally rear up on my hind legs and say so! I have
been making excuses and cutting slack for everyone's I'll moods around here long enough for one hot summer. Let's have some manners, people!

As for Congress and our President, I am about ready to take a stock prod and head for DC. I stopped really listening to the hype and crap about the debt ceiling week or so ago. It wasn't helping my mindset, either. What a load of manure!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

It is just one more bump in the road as far as I am concerned.  Of course, it affects decisions and projects and plans but it is all small stuff compared to our health or the health of our children or grandchildren. 

This has been a horrible year for us.  Many challenges and then the wheat harvest was a huge disappointment.  So many things could have been accomplished if it had yielded what it should have.  But it was not in God's plan for us this year.

I tend to look at farming over a much broader time frame than one year.  I learned as a young farm wife many, many years ago that there are going to be good years and bad but if the overall financial picture over, say, five or ten years is positive then we are in good shape and can weather a bad season. 

My off-farm income provides stability in bad years for which I am grateful.  As I get closer to retirement and the loss of that income, I take the bumps more seriously because there is less time to recover.  But overall, I am just blessed to have what we have and doubly blessed to not have some of the problems and issues that we see out there in our community. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Weathering a rough patch is part of living, and definitely part of farming. I just get so frustrated when what is basically stupidity causes unnecessary losses. Those people get their paychecks, even when they cost us ours.

I am sure watching all this hurrah on the news lately doesn't help...largely why I try to avoid it. With the 24- hour news cycle, that is extremely hard to do. Some days, I just want to crawl into a hole and pull the hole in behind me, just for a bit of peace.

The more uncertain things feel, the more uncertainties seem to surface at every turn. I think I need to go to the store tomorrow, crank up the fans, and scrub floors to get ready to lay the new tile. At least that way I will get the sense of making progress for a change....
0 Kudos