cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Veteran Contributor

Christmas cards

My cards will go out today but as I was getting them ready I started thinking about Christmas's past, mostly those of my childhood and the wonderful things Santa brought me back then...A few where the Mad Cap Molly Doll, my first t.v. and on that one I was sleeping right by the tree and Santa didn't even wake me lol..a 10 speed bike that I hated, and of course numerous stuffed animals.

What are some of the gifts you might remember in your youth that Santa brought?

S.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Christmas cards

I have two memories that stay with me.  One in when my family would go to the county seat town and shop or Christmas.  My brothers asked what I wanted and I chose a Saint Bernard stuffed dog.  I must not have been old enought to realize that it would be under the tree at christmas.  I either still have that dog or threw it out just within the last 6 months.  It was in a box in the basement when it flooded this summer.

The other is when my dad brought a paper bag to the bag door after chores and asked me to carry it in by the tree...don't open it!  He was always one for pullin tricks. (Like putting baby garter snakes in his cigar box in his pocket).  On Christmas eve, the bag was the last thing, everyone had to leave it alone.  I was asked to open it and it was a bridle for a horse!  In the picture you can see my hair flyin as I was apparently jumpin for joy!  Cricket was the horses name.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

The one that stands out for me was the year Santa took a 2x3' piece of plywood and painted it green for a pasture, built a fancy wooden fence and gate to go around it.   It had RR on the gate.  Mrs. Claus took a couple of storybook dolls and made western clothes for them so they resembled Roy and Dale.  Though the long hair was gone, Roy always looked a bit girly.  To top it off there was a Bryer horse that i always thought was offically Trigger, but have recently learned that it was just model #54.  

As a young teen I remember most a turquoise transistor radio.   Years, later my dad always had it at the kitchen table to listen to the farm reports.  It's still around and so is "Trigger."  Of course, there were always books.  Most them animal stories.   

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

A couple were getting a sled to slide down the hills on the farm and another was a bag of an apple and an orange plus a candly bar. Maybe some peanuts. They were from my grandmother that I really never met because my mother could not get along with her. My uncle would bring the bag over before Christmas and i would always go for the sweets first. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

My father was a real softy for Christmas.  My dad enjoyed Christmas Shopping for us 4 kids.    I remember shopping one year and saw this 2 foot high doll that walked when you held her hand.  I remember saying I wanted that walking doll.  She was under the tree that year.   The year we came down to find 4 bikes,  3 brand new and one reconditioned bike Under the tree.  To this day I wonder where they hid them.     Looking for the presents once we got older.  My mom would wrap them and then designated which one was who's by the color of the bow she used.   So even if we found them we had no idea what we got.  

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Great question, and wonderful memories. I seem to have sort of a memory block on this subject.

About all I can recall about a gift was the year i was ten. That August, I had fallen and been very badly injured in a bicycle v farm equipment match...I came out on the short end by a mile. I was still very scarred, and have never gotten back all my eyesight on the side that got dragged against the tar road surface.

The only thing I wanted that year was a replacement for the bicycle I had been riding that summer day. i can still picture the one I got from Santa, and hearing grown-ups say to my parents that they thought I would never want to ride a bike again, or that they would let me have one.

Must've been a worse set of injuries than I realized at the time....

Everything else is about being with my grandparents and cousins. Christmas pageants at church. Christmas caroling with the choir. Not one other gift comes to mind.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Like Kay, I don't remember a lot of specific presents.  Remember falling on the ice getting into the car after Midnight mass and cracking my tail bone.  Got my presents early that night.  Always got a doll.  Finally got a grandaughter that loves those babies too.  First one didn't give a fig for them much to my disappointment.

Actually remember giving special gifts to my kids.  Saddle for a pony was a big thrill one year.  Guitar for 2nd son another.  Pictures of him in pajamas, hair a mess plus cowboy hat, strumming along & singing.  Loved giving gifts that really surprise & please.  Still do as far as that goes.

Gotta get on those cards.  Way behind but really need to shop if my knee will let me.  In charge of kids Christmas lunch before their program Sunday.  After that I hope no more for the church responsibilities.  Another gal & I joked about handing out vitamins as everyone leaves church.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

i notice that only a few replied that they wanted to keep the Chrismas Cards tradition. Have the others left this site or are they just not writting?

0 Kudos
Advisor

I think anyone on the last year's list is doing it.  Were you in on it last year, TF?  

I spent the bulk of my day in my craft room making my cards.  Finally a day off  that actually felt like one.  The ice and snow a good reason to stay inside and enjoy.

Made a big pot of jambalaya to keep our tummies warm.  Yummie!

0 Kudos