cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Christmas menu

So what are you planning for your Christmas "feast"?  We usually raise our own turkeys so have one for both Thanksgiving &  Christmas but this year didn't do that.  Kinda want a different menu but we have roasts & ham quite often with our own meat.  I don't do fancy type of those but I don't know if everyone for go for a more gourmet menu anyway.  Would love to do a big pan of lasagna or soups on Christmas Eve but we are having Christmas day and evening so need enough for both meals.  With all of the health issues & dr. visits we've had I am having trouble getting my act together.  Gifts, cookies, menu-!!!  Very overwhelming.  Turkey doesn't really sound too bad or DS#1 said something about deep frying the whopper chickens we just had butchered.  That would be different if I can count on it. 

So what's up at your house?

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Honored Advisor

Re: Christmas menu

Have asked the kids to come to Jenna's the Saturday after Christmas (27th) for lunch. SIL wants Winn to have Santa before other gifts, which is fine with us. I am the one eho refuses to make them drag him out on Christmas Day, as we were always expected to do or die!

I always make hot, spiced cider, blueberry muffins if morning, but it will be noon this year. I am thinking country ham on yeast rolls, cheese and crackers, fresh grapes and pineapple. I want to bake a Paleo panforte, which is like an ancient Roman fruitcake.

Really just what we call " heavy pickups", because we all tend to eat light at lunch, if at all. Maybe a small casserole of mac and cheese for Winn. A cookie or two? If the panforte flops, I might bake a pie.

Stuff like lasagna and soup sounds great to me. It could be a hotdog, as long as I getbto see everybody...that's all that matters to me!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

out of my hands this year.  one dil kind of decided I was spending way too much money on food when every body is here.  So they are taking over and will decide the menus.  Did say we could have the traditional holiday meal one day.

That is turkey/dressing, mashed taters and gravy, sweet potatoes, cranberries, 7 layer salad, green bean casserole, jello in some form, veggie and dip platter, rolls and chocolate and pumpkin pies for dessert.  That meal is on me.

Each is to bring any thing they want that I do not normally have in my house instead of me supplying each and every family with their particular culinary likes.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

There are so many variations of a normal diet theses days, it has tobe nearly impossible to suit all thos preferences. I did double types of dressing, sweet potatoes, and changed the gravy recipe for Thanksgiving, so as to have the usual, plus our Paleo style.

I wasn't sure thie kids coukd cope with anything different, then they ate the new stuff and liked it, too. With just us six sitting down. No meal is but so big. Again, how you folks feed dozens once, much less for several days, blows my mind!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Blows my mind too. My kids requests the same menu with a little variation. The basics are ham for Christmas and turkey sometimes for Thanksgiving with mashed potatoes and turkey and noodles, corn from the freezer, fresh baked cornmeal rolls, green beans or lima beans and usually pie. I have made blackberry clobbler since they all like that. I may go with coconut cream pie this time and persimmon pudding.

0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

Here's my Christmas Eve menu (feeding 35-40 humans):

Prime Rib (from my beef!) with choice of horseradish sauce, marsala mushroom sauce and one I haven't thought of yet..

Oyster stew

Corn casserole

Rollickes

Deviled eggs

Deep-dish lasagne as a back-up if the animals consume the prime rib too hurriedly. This and the prime rib and the oyster stew can be eaten the next day since we will just have five bodies to feed, or they all freeze well (sans the oyster stew, but there are never any leftovers in that department).

dishes of cashews, peanut butter/chocolate star cookies, M&Ms, Oreo truffles, hard toffee sitting around

six different cheeses - (I could make a meal just from Brie and wine).

Apple pie

Pecan pie

Angel food cake

I still need a side dish or two...toying with the idea of creamed pearl onions or asparagus with hollandaise sauce. My criteria is that it can be made the day before, so all I do is reheat....so these might not work. 

I have two of those long contraptions that hold three small crock-pots; wonderful to keep everything warm or even cook in them.

beer, wine, non-alc wine, small soda pops (I've finally learned that kids actually finish those little 4-6oz cans)

espresso and coffee with Kahlua and Drambuie on the side

then at 11pm or 12am I have a goblet of wine with the Pope on TV

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Where do you get the perimmons? The old tree back home in my family's barnyard dropped the sweetest fruit, but it has been gone for decades now. Nothing ever tasted seeter than thise plump,persimmons fallen in snow.

Maybe that's one I should add to the little orchard row in Jenna's yard. Have to replace a cherry that just quit trying this fall, so they can share shipping. Thanks for the reminder.

Glad to know I am not the only one keeping it simple.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

We no longer have a tree but DD has given us some pulp from her MIL tree. I gave a friend sweet potatoes and she gave me pulp. Our tree was from seed from my sister's yard and was large and sweet but bugs or something killed it after several years. My grandkids love persimmon cookies and they all like persimmon pudding.

I did not know if persimmons were just a Hoosier thing or not. Friends have an orchard and sell the persimmons to a winery and are looking for other sales. A few years ago a CA couple bought land here and set out hundreds of trees and were going to sell the fruit. I have not heard any more from that. Persimmons are very persishable and have to be hand picked from the ground.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I guess it takes several years for any fruit tree to bear. Our dwarf ones had a handful in their second season this year, but not all of them have set fruit yet. I think dwarf trees say 2-3 years to start bearing, standard ones 5-10.

Winn and I got the littlectree up and decorated here this morning. He loves the little animayed " Santa's Band" that plays a lot of Christmas songs by the five characters tapping on their pairs of bells.

Each one has a hanger atop it, so I bend a branch for each near the bottom of the tree to hold them. My dear FIL loved this silly thing, and it appears his only great-grandson loves it, too. He toted in his newstepstool for us to share, and counted snowflake ornaments for me. Pilfered a few candy canes, though....

I think everyone's gifts finally turned up on UPS yestersay, even the backordered cowgirl boots. Now, to get that antique trunk ready for all those make-believe costumes!
0 Kudos
Veteran Contributor

We will be having rib eye sandwhiches, ham, scalloped corn, italian pasta salad, relish dish, cookies, baked beans....that's what I will be making and then relatives bring something too.  We can have any where's from 15-45 people come.  It's my side and DH side and its a just come if you can thing every year.

0 Kudos