cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wt51015
Senior Contributor

Clothes washer

Just got a new top loading washer as the old one's pump was on its last leg. The salesman said that the new high efficiency washers don't wash stinky farm clothes as well as the old standard efficiency does. That is about all we have anymore. Even mail carriers get muddy. So went with the old style. Know some of you have gotten new ones lately so thought I'd ask you this question. Have you found your new ones, if HE ones, didn't clean as well as your older ones?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
dairy mom
Senior Contributor

Re: Clothes washer

absolutely.  And the new HE and concentrate detergents do not clean as well either

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

I have a front loader HE and really haven't noticed too much difference.  It has a heavy cycle & someitmes I use that if things are really dirty or else I will do a pre rinse.  Sometimes will add some Oxy to the load directly on top of clothes.

That said, I am not happy with the machine.  Can't say if it's because of the front loader or if they all are like this but you obviously cannot "soak" in a front loader.  And with the computer controls I doubt you can stop it even with a top loader.  Another thing is that they take longer for cycles.

BUT I do like how they spin the clothes out so dry.  My neighbor just had to get a new washer and the sales rep said if you can get a Speed Queen (he does sell them but they are hard to find dealers for in our area) that they handle the kind of loads we farm women have.  I had one when I was first married & it spun dry well and lasted a long time.  Of course nothing lasts like it used to but that was probably my favorite.  In our area there are a lot of Whirlpool & Maytags sold.  Headquarters are in Iowa I think but not made there.

0 Kudos
SLC
Senior Contributor

I totally agree with what Linda said.   Also should add that since the water never completely drains, there can be an odor if you don't use it for several days and have the door shut.   You are supposed to clean them regularly but why on earth should one have to clean a washer?   It seems silly.   Mine also causes me grief it the electricity blinks while it is running. Its awful to reset and there is no way to just choose a cycle - say spin -  you have to run thru the complete wash set up.     

The plus of the front load HE is that it can run a bigger load.  It also spins things almost dry.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I am now using only front-loaders. We have dirty farm clothes, and I am satisfied that they come clean. I do use Tide Sport pods with Febreeze for stinky loads.

It is necessary to run a cleaning product for frontloaders about every month.

I don't have nearly the problems with galluses from bib overalls getting tied in knots that I did with an agitator machine. Ever get a bra wrapped around one of those?!? Goner!

It seems that this is a " to each, her own" kind of thing. I really do not want a toploading washer, if I can help it. I notice that the new ones we bought have easier cycle selection than the older ones, and they are much quieter, too.
0 Kudos
Suey73
Advisor

Things I've learned.  I have a topload HE washer.    We have water that has some sulfur in it.  It will accumulate in the pipes.   When the power goes off ,,, when it comes back on the screens  get plugged with black stuff.   If the washing machine doesn't fill with water fast enough the machine shuts down.    No choice but pull out the machine and clean the screens.     #2.  The reason you must clean your machine is because the gunk from fabric softener  accumulates on something and won't work right.   If you don't use fabric softener you might be okay.   #3 and most important for me  on the farm.    Because it uses less water it is more likely to cause drain pipes to clog.   They don't get rinsed clean.    When we move next door,  I'm going to be using the practically new old style waher that was left.   

As long as I use the heavy duty cycle and Tide Sport Febreeze  they always seem to come clean most of the time. 

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

I am surprised at the problems you are describing. I have had an Eloctrolux HE front loader for several years and I have had not problems. I have always been very pleased with it especially how dry the clothes come out and the small amout of water it uses. I use Shaklee detergent and never use fabric softner. I have never cleaned it or had an odor problem. I do dry the door and leave it open to dry out for a short time. I wash everything including bedspreads and throw rugs and dirty work clothes.

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Mine does have a rinse & spin cycle and also a drain & spin which is pretty close to being able to just spin period.  It is a Crosley.  I think most Whirlpool-Maytag-Crosley machines are made from the same manufacturer. 

I sometimes have an issue with blinking & beeping on the control panel.  It continues to do the cycle during this "fit" and if I unplug it for a few minutes it adjusts.  Hopefully this won't be an issue down the road.  The warranty is already off or I would have it looked at.

Get so ticked that you have to buy an extended warranty on everything from appliances, TVs, cars, -you name it.  In other words, they don't expect their product to hold up, right?

0 Kudos