cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Cold Turkey

If I start to act odd...hard as that may be for all of you to imagine...or, let's just say "odder than usual," it may be because I've decided to go cold turkey off Coke Zero (again)! 

We had really stocked up over the holidays, and I had been having a real caffeine-fest for most of January and February.  There was about a week there when it was all I consumed, due to my bronchitis making me lack an appetite (if one could only have that symptom without the illness, right?)

Anyway, as we turned the corner into March, I cracked open the last case, and promised myself I'd get this monkey off my back...again, again!  This is quite a bit harder than quitting smoking was for me...no Coke Zero patch to wear, I guess. 

I think I made up my mind to do this one day when I let a glass set a few minutes after pouring, while I got distracted with something.  Even with the ice, it got a bit warmer than usual, and when I tasted what it REALLY tastes like, I almost urped. 

This is Mike's acid test for a beer: If you have to drink it cold to like it, it is crummy beer.  Cold numbs your taste buds, which is why really good beer or red wine is served simply cool.  If you don't believe this, pour an icy cold glass of your favorite beverage, and see if you still like it as much as it warms up for an hour or so. 

Take my word for this one: Unless it's REALLY cold, Coke Zero tastes like crap.  I figured that anything that tastes this bad cannot be good for you...so, it's off-limits for now.  Hopefully, for good!

I need to go and have a couple extra shots of espresso before lunch, to avoid the caffeine withdrawal blahs and headache.  If I can avoid the DTs, I think I can make it over the hump. 

If I were religious, I'd say I have "given it up for Lent." but the truth is, I just need to quit some bad habits.  Running out of this product in the pantry seemed a natural place to start. 

So, since misery loves company, what  are you folks giving up for Lent this year, or just doing to improve your intake?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Cold Turkey

To be honest it's been so crazy here lately, I haven't thought about "giving up for lent".  I have been trying be sure & read my bible & do some extra lenten studies.  Our last priest suggested instead of giving something up, to instead do something extra for lent.  Perhaps volunteer at a food pantry, or nursing home, etc.  I hope to get to the local nursing home next week.  An elderly neighbor just lost her son & I want to be sure & get to her.

Kay,I'm sure glad I'm not addicted to that Coke Zero.  I AM addicted to coffee.  Was drinking too much of that last week though & got my tummy in trouble.  Now trying to back off a little.  I can tell you when 3 p.m. rolls around as that is when I need my "fix".  I used to leave for dance at that time & needed a boost to get me through the night.  Always left with a cup in my hand.   I know what you mean about that bronchitis & appetite.  I was in the same boat in Sept. & just had no appetite.  Had to make myself eat.  That's definitely not my norm!

0 Kudos
Advisor

Your priest's idea is a good one...but someone as busy as you would have an easier time giving up something they really like, rather than adding on one more demand on your time.  I had a friend who finally kicked her chocolate addiction for Lent one year, and she lost quite a bit of weight from that decision. 

The bad thing about Coke Zero is that it isn't sold at many places, so if you like it, you pretty much ahve ot maintain a stock of it at home.  As you know, that means it's always available, and I have Zero willpower over things I like that are in the pantry in abundance.  I can just hear it calling my name from morning to night. 

I've always had it to have something for when my stomach is iffy, and the carbonation settles better than plain water.  Have found a Ginger 'Gizer drink that I am even happier with, has real ginger in it...very easing on a queasy tummy.  Can add mineral water if I feel I want some fizz.  No long list of nasty chemicals in it. 

I got in enough espresso to avoid the lack-of-caffeine brain lint today.  That afternoon craving is a tough one...I think it's when your blood sugar drops after lunch.  Used to call it Arsenic Hour when the kids were small...if they didn't get some cheese and crackers between four and five p.m., I was done for that day!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Good Luck Kay,    You're a stronger woman than I.   I did give up my caffine/pepsi habit for when I was pregnant and breast feeding.   I have cut my diet pepsi habit down  though.   I only need 2/day.   And I have to have them before 1PM if I want to sleep.   Right now I'm wide awake.   Allegra-D 24.   Got to switch to 12 hour.   But,  I did get alot accomplished today.  

0 Kudos
Advisor

Cold medicine can be a wonder drug, if you don't want or need any sleep.  Only thing I've ever taken that wired me more than Sudafed was Prednisone.  One or two tiny doses of that had me mentally typing everything I heard for weeks.  Maddening. 

Watch your BP when using that cold stuff, if you are at all prone to a high reading.  Sudafed can really spike mine high.  Also, do not know if your Allegra kills your appetite, but any pseudoephedrine makes me feel like I have no desire at all for food.  I can see how people got hooked on diet pills when they contained some of these molecules. 

Looks like my late-afternoon espresso "fix" fixed me TOO good, too. I will empty a lot of saved shows off of the DVR tonight....

Am trying to eat better and take vitamins.  Found out you can get ones that are gummy bites now...those and the new glucosamine/chondroitin chews I foudn a couple months back mean no more choking down horse pills.   Who knew? 

Try one of the Diet Pepsi cans warm, and post back with three words that describe the flavor.  If I hadn't accidentally tasted warm CZ, I might still think it was palatable.  It was like when it got to just cool instead of cold, the flavors that are blended together fell apart...really foul!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Coricidin BP is available for those with high BP. Don't know anyone who has tried it, but saw many ads on TV for it.

As to the soda, what brand tastes good warm? I haven't found any to drink on the last part of the route. Imagine 4 hours warming up. Even better in the summer. Yuk!

0 Kudos
Advisor

Thanks for the recommendatioon of decongestant.  I am trying now to avoid my allergens as much as possible..hard to do with trees and flowers blooming all over.   May need to pick up some of that brand this week, if the salien spary can't cut it.   

From now on out, I am planning to use the room-temp taste test as a rule of thumb, as to whether something actually tastes good or not.  I've always liked most food more at room temp, and Mike has taught me this with his homebrewed beer..he pours and it sits a while before drinking.  Our sophisticated friends showed us that red wine and cheeses should not be served cold. 

Our filtered water always tastes good, and my Ginger 'Gizer can be served anywhere from cold to hot.  Tea and coffee can go across the temperature spectrum, too.  I do tend to like beverages better cold or hot; but, if they have a good taste at room temp, then that is mostly an accommodation to the ambient temp...cold drinks on hot days and vice versa. 

In the car, I tend to stash a sports bottle iof iced water in the console, and sip it until it's just cool.  That lasts me a half-day most days.  Anything that's left over is poured into the flowerpots when I get home. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

I am so glad I never was one for drinking soda.  I hear about people like yourself who are addicted to caffeine in soft drinks but it is foreign to me.  I have my addiction to coffee so I kind of understand.  What I hate most about soda is that ice-cold can that tastes like metal.  I can drink Coke out of a glass gottle once in a while but cans and plastic bottles just taste horrible to me...I would rather drink water or tea from a stainless steel bottle.   

I drink my iced tea unsweetened but I heard something recently about McDonald's sweet tea and how addictive that is.  It also has a lot of calories.  Many people I know drink tons of it from morning to night and have mentioned how hooked they are on it.

For lent, I gave up my temper.  DGD Madison, who has rarely ever seen me angry, jokingly told me last night, "Grandma, You 'lost' your temper!"  I am hoping that six weeks of Lenten practice will enable me to 'lose' my temper permanently. 

When I find myself getting irritated or angry, I am trying to stop, breathe and say a quick prayer.  This is a new action for me as before I would either rattle off a biting comment or just stuff any anger or irritation and it would come out like a broken dam at a later time. 

Our priest also suggested that we do something for others for Lent instead of giving up something so I figure I am getting a two-for with this one! 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

That sweet tea is awful!  So sickening sweet it almost choked me the one time I tried it. 

That temper thing is really a good one.  I'm trying to be more patient.  Especially with my mom but it's a really, really hard thing.  She seems to not be retaining short term & after the fourth go round plus the repetitive for loss of hearing-saps me.  I think part of my impatience is because she calls me several times a day & there's no break.

Tried to get something done yesterday even tho I was punk & my mom stopped in with an angel food cake.  So I made her lunch along with the guys.  Then today I was just out to rake & here comes my FIL & my DH was out in the field hauling manure.  So I got nothing done again.  Oh well.  Someday they'll be gone & we'll miss them & we'll be the old fogies.  Guess I could put this on my lenten plus list.

0 Kudos