cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Cold War returning?

The news is so bleak these days, with the rumble over us intervening in Syria. It just seems we bounce from one disastrous involvement to the next in the Middle East.

The UN is turning into a Russian power play again today. Putin is very reminiscent of Krushchev to me...harboring Snowden and posturing otherwise. It just all feels so much like when we were children, and Russia was the enemy in the news constantly.

I hate to think that the world is returning to this state of constant strife and tension. We really haven't learned much in the way of getting along on the last fifty years, have we?
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Cold War returning?

Actually the international scene doesn't worry me as much as the domestic scene does.  Perhaps because I believe we have cooler more intelligent people involved in the international scene.  Not only from our country but world wide.  People the are going to find a way to keep the lid on the pressure cooker.

But here at home.  I think it looks like things could get pretty ugly in the not too far future.

Things like being able to say stuff like this where anybody can read it I think is setting this country up for some nasty stuff.

It is incredible to me the things I read on the internet.  A lot of very volatile and frankly not very intelligent people putting their opinions out for far too many too see.

I think because of social media; the lowest, meanest, least thoughtful of emotions are going to sweep this country into times that will make the 60's look like nothing happened then.

I think it is a good thing that winter is coming.  Winter tends to keep the idiots inside.  But I worry about next year after social media and the nitwit network news people keep fanning the flames.

Low lifes are invading every aspect of our lives, from sports, entertainment and even government.

0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor

I dont think it is Russia been the bad boys here,   It may well be they keep us out of this conflict,     They have naval bases in Syria , (why shouldnt they)  and need to protect them against an unstable Syria, They could not keep us out of Iraq and Afganistan, lets hope they can here.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Have a hard time these days finding any brightness in the news on either the home front or abroad.  Maybe just the newscasters with their gloom & doom or my outlook lately.  Plus I don't even pretend to know that much about the world's problems.  Got enough to keep my head above water here. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Don't you think those radical elements have always been here? The Internet just makes it easier to notice , but also to observe them.

I had an 11* yo girl telling me that porpoises are dying all up and down the coast. She says that means the Rapture is coming. I used to witty about nuclear war at that age...now, it's End Times.
0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Recent radio reports say this was probably the fifteenth poison gas attack on the I even people. Why are we just starting to notice, if it gas been going on for over a year now?
0 Kudos
Advisor

One thing I think we remember too often is how after the Holocaust of Jews by the Nazis  someone, Roosevelt or Eisenhower,  said, "Never Again".   We went into Somolia,  Romania, and others as  Police actions  trying to do the right thing for those unable to save themselves.   In Syria and the middle east  it makes no difference who we help.  They will all still hate us and continue their blood feuds after we are gone.   It is a no win situation.    It is wrong for Syria to use  WMD/gas on their enemies  but they don't care.  Probably one of those phsycopaths. 

Honored Advisor

What troubles me is that the reports today said the UN team determined this was factually a gas attack, and then that it was probably done 14 times previously, over the past year or so. What I don't get is why we just got upset - or just noticed - now.

The insistence of the President that we take action, in light of the position of our allies, is troubling to me, too. Our militaryis exhausted with this endless police action deployment. We will, as you say, never make friends there. Is this just supposed to wear us out and weaken our economic position, indebting us further to foreign powers?
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Yes!

Did you see how many of us do not pay any taxes. 43 % I believe.

0 Kudos