cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Cold!

I hope you are not having lots of weather related problems this morning. The wind was brutal yesterday blowing the powdery snow who knows where.  Schools out for the fourth day this week and tomorrow does not look any better. I must see the accountant today but have canceled other appointments.  DS is using the inside time to paint and I am quilting while DH sets in front of tv.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Cold!

DH is keeping the wood stove going too and clearing the walks etc along with the tv watching.

0 Kudos
Advisor

I've been out to plug in the auger wagon tractor and empty a feed bin before feed delivery today.    At least it isn't snowing.   Last 3 times I've gotten feed delivered it has really been snowing hard!     Going to pay bills and reconcile checking accounts.   Tom is working on shelving for the new bedroom closet.     The carpenter is due to start putting up drywall in the kitchen.    Now I'm struggling with countertop and paint samples.   

We didn't get the snow, stayed south of us.   Several schools have 2 hour delays due to the extreme cold.   Our school district ran on time.    As long as the buses are plugged in and keep running to problems should be seen.   

Church soup and salad luncheon is Sunday.     Got to make a salad and 2 very high calorie dessert bars.  Toffee bars and turtle brownies.   Then Sunday AM  will get to church to make 3 roasters of Broccoli Cheese soup from SCRATCH.   Got an experienced cook to help me make certain we get it to thicken.   

Finishing Buildings have  enough big pigs to keep them warm.    Nursery was toasty.   Wood fire going in the basement.   Time to get to work. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Sun came out yesterday, and things warmed up enough for us get out, to come to VA for the night. Arrived in time to see a whiteout of snowfall for about an hour...the place was already cloaked with several inches from Minday's storm. I had firgotten how beautiful these hills and woods are in winter.

It was about thirteen here overnight, which is very cold for us, and the wind was pretty wicked. Still rough out today. Supposed to drive even lower tonight, to negative wind chills. Not our norm, for sure.
Got a shipment of fruit trees and raspberry vines last Saturday...having to hold indoors in water buckets. Guess they went by normal climate data, not a curent forecast!

The kids leave Friday afternoon/ evening for eight days, Disney cruise.

Hired man finally turned up to load out yesterday, after his fiasco Monday night. Vehicle totalled, liability only insurance, still owes daughter $2000 plus, since she was dumb enough to trust them to have full coverage on the Explorer she sold him. Good lesson for her to learn, as we tried to tell her.

His wife stayed in town, to " work" a shift at the Waffle House, then couldn't afford a taxi ride home, so there he was, with five tiny kids in the house...how do you get him to work with that? Of course, you don't. Daughter drove to town and got her, gave her an earful on the way back.
I am staying out of it, at least for now. Some things an employer isn't supposed to say or get into. If a confrontation is coming, it will likely be this week, when the slack falls on Mike and/or me. Guy really wants the job and is okay...we like him, but this woman really drags him down.

Oh, well...deep subject. I am reorganizing drawers here at Jenna's this morning. Learned a neat new folding technique on the declutter challenge, which makes all the clothing in a given drawer more visible, thus likely to be used. Did some late yesterday, want to finish today. Beats skating around and breaking my neck!

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Cold here too, but felt a little warmer when the sun came out and the wind died down.    Just trying to make the rounds and keep everything checked on.   We felt so fortunate to have our heifers and recip cows calved out back in January when we had that nice stretch of weather.  But we are paying for it now as the commercial herd started calving in full force.    Have had a meeting every night this week and thankfully the roads have not been bad so hasnt' kept us at home.   

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Next week is few meetings / appointments/get taxes mailed. Mike will be more tied down than usual, with daughter and SIL gone, I will be off-duty for watching Winn, so free as a bird.
Kind of a cross - condition, as to our mobility, so I am hoping my doctor's visit and one day to cattlemen's meeting work out okay,
as far as weather. He said this morning it will still be cold, just not THIS cold.

If he can't get away and it is decent, I may come up here and at least prune things a bit. Want to get the drips run for the roses and shrubs...helper will come if I need him for any of that, I am sure. Ma just have to satisfied with stayingbwarm, continuong to declutter these houses and office. Worse things to do!
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Its been one of those days.  On my 4th pair of gloves and 2nd set of coveralls...     Had a newborn calf in the creek, managed to save it but it spent the afternoon in the calf warmer.   One of DD's does kidded on the snow and managed to save that kid for the time being.. although it's still in the house.  

0 Kudos