cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Cooking techniques?

Just joked with Mike that I think the reason I actually enjoy cooking a lot more than I ever did before is because we waych so many of Gordon Ramsay's chef shows. The one with the kids blows me away...can you picture a child chef?

Anyway, I decided that I want to know more, so ordered a Great Course on cooking techniques. Plan on watching those classes while we ride between farms, using Winn's little portable DVD player. I will boot up a youtub video, too. Watched Gordon whet his chef's knife, so I would know how to maintain mine.

There was not a lot of " technique" in the canned biscuit and fishsticks household I grew up in. I mentioned my MIL's paring knives on a thread on FB yesterday. She had a lot of talent, her meals were reputed to be the best in the county by the guys who ate here during community crop work.

I do not remember much at all about my grandmothers cooking...one was basically helpless, the other made these fried apple jacks. I remember sitting on her kitchen stepstool and snacking on one, sunlight streaming in through the jars of jelly cooling on the windowsill. Lard crust, sugar and cinnamon...what a delight!

I cannot really blame my mother for not teaching me anything at all about cooking, because her mother was a wreck at it. My other Grammar moved to town when I was five, to be near her daughter as she started her family.

I remember asking my MIL for recipes a few times, but always suspected she left something out. They never tasted quite right. Now, I realize the main ingredient I lacked was patience. Flavors take time to marry in most meals of the country cuisine, and I wanted a fifteen- minute miracle....five would've been even better!

We have talked about cooking a lot before, but I do not remember us saying who taught us technique, or where we have picked up tricks of the trade. Where did you learn everythung you know, or are you self-taught?

All I can say is, " Thank goodness for Gordon and youtube!"

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Cooking techniques?

Why is Food Network so addictive?  I watch things on there that I know I will never try nor would I want to.    Its very educational tho!  Gordon Ramsey is down toward the bottom in my list as far as those I will watch.   I like Paula, Giada, Bobby Flay, Paula's boys, and several others much better.   

I guess I was lucky... My mom was a good cook and enjoyed doing it.  She still does.    Her mother passed away young so alot was self taught but also learned from her MIL (my grandma) who was an excellent cook.   I remember my mom watching Julia Child ..  have no idea if she learned anything.  I don't mind cooking but prefer baking.  I also HATE the clean up which might be why I try to stay to one dish wonders if at all possible.   Time is another constraint, so easy to throw a few ingredients into the crock pot and have the food ready in 6 hours.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I  learned to cook from my mother who cooked good country food. My DH grandmother was an excellent cook and I learned a lot by what she cooked too. I really learned a lot from her about many things. I also learned to cook new things for 4-H which helped me. I am a big fan of Martha Stewart and I watched her shows and read her magazine learning a great deal on many subjects.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I learned a lot in 4H too.   We also had a great Home Ec teacher.  

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Whenever I would go into the kitchen, I would get yelled at, so do you think I learned much from her? Didn't have much exposure to grandmothers either (one died very young and the other my mom kept away). Learned as much as I can from watching pbs and reading cookbooks.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I got a switching, whenever I got in the way.  I learned not to get underfoot, either.

It is no surprise that the kids who had happiest kitchen memories seem to like cooking the most. 

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

You know I actually don't know where I learned to cook.  Watched my mom some but she was gone a lot working and I don't remember her ever taking the time to teach me other than how to make a pie.  Which is funny because I can whip out a pie in the blnk of an eye & she cannot.  But she's almost 95.  But she loves to try new recipes and cook to this day.  I did learn to make bread from my grandmother & by taking it in 4-H.

I got several cook books as a young bride and I used to make some of the meals when I was home & mom was working.

I have to tell this one.  My cousin had made mashed potatoes & country fried gravy which was stil in the pan when the neighbor came by.  He looked at her lumpy gravy & said he really liked fried potatoes too.  LOL  But she turned out to be a good cook too.

I do think it is sad that there is no longer home ec taught in schools but it's good that there are cooking shows & the internet to help young folks.

One more funny.  At a bridal shower I went to when I was young, they gave tips for the new bride.  One was to always have the table set when DH came in, especially if you were running late on the meal.  At least he knew it was going to be "soon" even if it wasn't.  Used that one a time or two myself.  LOL

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Re: Cooking techniques?b

Linda, I love the table setting idea...you see! This is why I post this silly stufff, because I always learn something new and useful.

In a similar vein, I learned when teaching, if someone ( especially a child) comes up while you are conversing with someone ( in person or on the phone), you acknowledge them by placing your hand on their forearm, nod and raise your eyebrows in their direction, then turn your attention back to finish your talk. I would hold my hand on a kid's arm, until the time to turn to them again, and say, " Thanks for your patience."

This worked very well. Another thing that teally made my life easier was I was taught that if several kids have to share something, the one who cuts or divides it gets the last piece or serving. My kids would split atoms to make cake slices come out even.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Good post!  I'm really not sure where I learned to cook for the most part.  My mom worked outside of the house so it was up to my sister and I to handle supper for quite a few years.  I like to bake more then cook but I have fun throwing stuff together and experiementing with different dishes.  The only problem is that I'm married to Mr. Picky so that can make it interesting.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

I believe cooking is part instinctive or in your genes. Maybe it is a lack of creativity. Some women just do not like to cook.  A friend told about her mother who had a schedule for every day of the week and then it was always repeated every week. Another said it was mostly pork and beans at here house.

0 Kudos