cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Cooking with kids?

It is always a joy and inspiration to read the stories you girls post about stuff you do with the grands. I make mental notes, so as Winn gets bigger, I will have some ideas to activate.

One thing he does love is " helping" me cook. This morning after breakfast and a bath in my big farmhouse sink, we decided to give fried rice a try. He loves riding in the backpack, so he supervised as I chopped onions, minced garlic, cracked open a couple of eggs, and made a huge mess on the stovetop.

He's been resisting his morning nap for a week or two, I guess since the norovirus. It threw all of us off-kilter. About the time I was ready to turn off the eye and get a banana he kept asking for peeled, I realized he had gotten totally silent and very limp, with his tiny head slumped against my shoulder...fast asleep! He we will out until eleven o' clock...Dr. Phil time!

Thanks to entertaining him, our lunch is done and waiting. Hoping maybe he will absorb some healthy eating habits by osmosis, too.
I picked through many recipes online yesterday, looking for the best health choice among them. Hope it tastes good, too.

What are some recipes or general guidelines you use, when cooking with the kids you love?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Cooking with kids?

My DGD would eat all kinds of vegetables when she was very young but soon gave those up because she did not get them at home. Age approciate is important but measuring teaches math and breaking a egg into a cup seems difficult for children at first. Mixing the batter is easier and fun for them. I am letting her chop the vegetables on a board but she is left handed and it seems more difficult. If they learn to fry an egg they at least can do that when needed.

It is a good way to work together in a fun way. Cookies, muffins and cupcakes are fun too. I usually buy the gingerbread house kits on sale for the next year as we don't eat them anyway and she enjoyed those. Just putting the candy on them is fun for kids. The most important thing is making them comfortable in the kitchen because most children don't get those lessons.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Yesterday my 5 yr. old grandaughter helped me with some of the cooking & prep work and at dinner a comment was made about the ham and how good that red pig tasted. DGD followed me into the kitchen and asked "we're not really eating that red pig are we?  (raised at her house)  Seriously?  Really.  Seriously?"  LOL

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

My sister called me up and asked if I would make plans to come home for a long weekend in the fall to teach my niece how to make home made bread and rolls.  My Grandma taught me but my sister never wanted to learn so I'm the only one.  I told her I could probably make it work and it would be fun.  I told my sister we would have to do it at my parents house though so Dad could get his freash cinnamon rolls. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Of course, most of Winn's " work" is watching from the backpack so far. I explain what we are doing, what everything is, talk about what PaPa likes.

Our rice was a smash hit. Mike ate two big bowls, and Winn ate his, plus half of mine. What was left is going to be a supper side dish.

It can't be a bad thing, as long as they are safe.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Any chance we could get you down South for a cinnamon roll lesson?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Poor farm children have to learn things city kids (and adults) never consider....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I've already taught the 11 yr old how to make pie & I'd already made a pie when she walked in & spotted the remainder of leftover dough so she whipped up some cinnamon roll tarts on her own while I tended the stove making gravy.  I really am bad about teaching the "goodies" and they are all fattening & unhealthy.  Need to think of some other dishes that are healthier to pass on.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Winn and I started with some easy cookies, small mix packets I got after Christmas on clearance. After I realized he liked being involved, and we started using the backpack daily, i wanted to get him going on smoothies, fruits, veggies, and hole foods. He loves vegetables, eggs, cheese, and mostfruits I have tried on him.

This fried rice recipe was simple and I kept the salt to a minimum. It was delicious, even if I do say so myself. What surprised me was how he wolfed it down. He kept saying " More!" Of course, he made a big old mess, too, but it was wirth it to see his appetite back.
0 Kudos