cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Cranky toddler, crotchety old lady...

...apparently, if the doctor gives you enough vaccinations in one day, you can't teel the difference between the two. 

If I am totally honest, I have never liked shots very much, although I've given pigs tens of thousands of them over the eons.  Have stuck myself more times than I like to remember in the process.  Even though the actual injections I got today were administered with very small needles, I didn't like having to get one in my left arm and another one in the right. 

What irked me most was that my doctor's office had given me an appointment two weeks or more ago for a Hepatitis B shot (to begin the series of three) and then didn't have the darned vaccine when I arrived there this morning.  That was right after learned that I had to have a tetanus shot, too, which always makes me achy and irritable feeling. 

Got the tetanus done, and then left for the health department,which was my only other option within reason for the Hep B.  Waited twice instead of once, and then had to pay cash at the health department, instead of having eveyrthing automatically filed with BC/BS.  At least the shots are only going to cost about $200 this way, instead of nearly $400 at the doc's place. 

It could have been worse...the nurse first said I'd have to get all the MMR and chicken pox shots, too, until we got to the part in the instructions about people over fifty not needing them.  Also have to have a TB skin test, and make a second trip to have it read two days later.  All told, six different trips to doctors for pre-nursing school shots and a physical, so a lot of appointments this summer. 

So, both arms are stiff, and I feel sort of sleepy now.  SIL is picking up fundraiser plates for our supper, so no chores for me the rest of the day.   I am curling up with my blankie, and closing my eyes for a while.  The pigs always lay out for a nap after their round of shots, and that's exactly  what I plan to do this afternoon, too. 

When you get a vaccination, does it make you feel funky, or can you just shake it off? 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
wt510151
Senior Contributor

Re: Cranky toddler, crotchety old lady...

I usually can shake it off the first day. The second and third days are when it hits me.

Hope you feel better tomorrow after the day of rest.

0 Kudos
manureseller
Senior Contributor

I try to make it a point NOT to have shots so for me I can shake them pretty quick.  LOL  I did have to have a tetnus booster this past year but then again I couldn't remeber the last time I had one so I was okay with it.  My arm was sore for a day or so afterwards but that's it.  I know that when I'm giving shots to the horses I like to spread them out over a 2 week course.  Since I give my own the vet lets me.  I try to do the same with the dogs.  Just something about giving everything at one time makes it hard on a sysem I guess.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

So far, nodded off yesterday afternoon and then slept like a log all night.  Woke up feeling well enough to train in TKD this morning in the ten o'clock class, and then stop by Lowe's  to swap pout a rug that I bought that was the wrong size.   

Met daughter and a friend of hers on the way out of town, and they saw me in traffic and called me back for lunch out.  Came home and crashed again for the most part.  Feels like it's going to be another early-to-bed night. 

Small localized reaction to the tetanus, but not as sore a shoulder as usual.  Maybe the workout was a good idea then.  Need to dig a couple of holes in the yard tomorrow  for some peach trees Lowe's was closing out this morning. 

You would think by this age that your immune system would have had enough tetanus shots to not give them any attention, wouldn't you? 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I would normally follow your policy and have no more than one vaccination at a time.  This Hep B series takes six months, and I guess I had planned on having it over with far enough before Thanksgiving so that I would not feel bad then and have the cooking to do...just did not want to put it off and get pushed into dates I wanted to be sure I would feel well. 

Had set the appointment to give myself a week before summer classes start, so as not to be cruddy-feeling then.  I wsa ticked that the doctor's office had not gotten the vaccine, and then the nurse couldn't find a tetanus on my chart anywhere, so it was sort of an afterthought.  Then, she figured out that language on the form meant I had to have a TB skin test, too, but you can only have them on Monday through Wednesday, so they can be read at 48-hour interval. 

I think that even well baby shots are too concentrated in how many they give at once now, from schedules I have seen in the last couple of years.  Kids are kept in a bubble with hand sanitizer bottles and wipes everywhere, then they throw all of that into their tiny bodies at once...it is just not logical to me. 

0 Kudos
old and rusty
Veteran Contributor

Kay, Isn't this what they are talking about with kids developing autism after this concentration of shots as babies? I have a friend that always very carefully spaced out the shots that her kids received because of extreme reactions they had to them. My kids seemed ok, just your normal low fever/soreness, but nothing like her kids had. Convulsions, etc. Scary stuff.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I truly do look forward to studying the immune system this summer.  I know we won't go into great detail, but I have a much better understanding of hormones and their functions since taking my first half of A&P this past semester. 

The immune system is implicated in just about everything.  Those of us in animal ag know how crucial colostrum is to survival of our calves, lambs, kids and piglets.  I have never thought that it wa a good idea to skip that resource for human offspring.  My children were extremely healthy, and all were nursed until at least 18 months of age.  I do not think this is an odd coincidence.  Just wonder if your friend nursed her children (and if so, how long) or bottlefed them? 

That kind of a reaction would have scared the water out of me.  Did they ever outgrow this problem?  I was surprised at how much vaccination was required for this program I have ahead, and my reactions are well within the range of "normal"...can only imagine how hard it will be for people like that. 

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Not to be nosy, but are these vaccinations necessary for school or do you take them on your own?  I try not to get any but I did have to have a tetanus a couple years ago & my arm was sore too.

Take it easy; seems like a good excuse to take care of yourself!

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

This vaccination thing is turning into something of a snipe hunt. 

My present physician had no shots on record, so I did get a tetanus on Friday.  Proving two previous ones and things like my varicella illness as a child is proving difficult.  Didn't realize how fractured my medical records had become. 

My pediatrician would be 120 or more by now, so God only knows where those records might be.  No health records in my baby book.  The family practice doctor after that is ditto (dead). 

The family doc Mike and I used for our family, until a kid we went to school with started practicing around 1990, lost all his records in a fire in the nineties. The nursing program will take a note to that effect, if the current practice can track him down to write one. 

He would have had my college physical info from 1972, too.  I remember that vividly, as he had a cute young male intern with him that day...funny the experiences this search is bringing back to mind. 

The college I graduated from in 1975 burns all records ten years after you graduate,  so those went up in smoke in 1985.  I did not know that stone tablets would burn. 

I actually have conscious memories of enduring all the childhood illnesses, except red measles, which I had before I turned one. Being over fifty, they waive MMR requirements, but oddly, not varicella.

I know I can have titers drawn, but I hate to do that if it's not necessary, as I do not like bloodwork, and do not like paying for unnecessary proceures and tests.  My first Hep B was not too bad,but the tetanus still is swollen, and hurts three days later. 

Out of this experiecne, I'd urge any and all of you to get yoyr older records transferred to your present physician if you can.  You never know when you will need them, and after seeing how many people lost theirs in floods here in 1999, it is not a bad thing to make sure they are in a safe place. 

0 Kudos