cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

Re: Criticism and changing

Your post reminded me of our visitor from Arkansas that comes up every year or couple of years.  He would always joke about my cooking and would try to tell me how to make "chocolate gravy"!  He did teach us how to make really good iced tea.  He cannot eat red meat  and I think pork, so we usually go out to eat when he is here.  I think once i cooked eggs!  I did make homemade pizza tonight with homemade crust and I think it tasted pretty good!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Advisor

I think a lot of the limitations we may have dealt with were related to the feminist thread discussion we held the other day...like some said, not being encouraged to study agriculture, for example.  As long as the course was an academic subject, I was encouraged to take it, and expected to ace it.  May have had to do with having a mother who majored in Biology in college...I don't know. 

Being actively discouraged from taking a class was not so much an issue...just did not have time to fit in anything  creative around the heavy college prep schedule I had on my plate.  Typing then (called keyboarding now) was a singular secretarial subject, meant only to prepare a student to be clerical office staff.  It is essential for the use of computers as a tool to be able to keybord for virtually every subject now. 

Hitting the right  keys was a means to a very limited career end then, whereas it's the key to the entire broad spectrum of the educational kingdom now.  Of course, I think we will eventually surpass/circumvent the keyboard as the main input device. 

My Livescribe pen can transcribe handwriting to typewritten files for omputer storage already, and it can translate several languages as well.  DROID can type messages direct from voice dictation.  Voice recognition software is better every day, and cheaper, too. 

I have too much free time to think right this minute, and my mind is on fire some days.  Got to rein it in, so I can get something practical done around here.  Makes me think I need to start warping the loom...need something hands-on,  elemental to ground my neurons to....

0 Kudos
Advisor

One reason test scores are so low in America in this generation is that EVERY student has to take the test now.  Even childrne with profound disabilities have to take formalized tests.  Schools truly used to pick and choose the ones they tested more in the past. 

School is the hardest thing most kids have to do now.  It was hte easiest thing I got to do growing up.  I also bough totally into teh belief that an educaiton could help me ot a better life.  When something is a treat and a break from the drudgery of farm work, and you see it as your escape route, you are more likely to put out your best effort.  Don't you tink so?   

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

For those who can learn subjects by the teacher's method, it is a treat. Other's it is a mental workout. Schools are much different now than when I was at that age. Students that need extra help are not given it. If they do get help, they are ostracized by most. Thank goodness, this state has school choice and home schools. Otherwise, this state would have a larger dropout rate than it has.

I was an A student, but I didn't learn much from teachers that didn't teach. This one would write out the solution to a math problem and told us to go back to our seats. A good grade doesn't mean much from classes with that type of teacher. Those negative experiences narrowed my college majors too since I didn't have much confidence in higher math levels.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Have you checked with the manufacturer for locations. Many brands have their own websites.

0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

Do you know of the name of a good voice recognition software? Been thinking of getting some recipes typed up or copied, but this sounds much easier.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Normally, I'd do that, but this one is sold only as a fresh/refrigerated product in the Harris Teeter stores, which are very nice chain stores in NC.  .  I will check around in the other stores that I manage to get to, but I tend to travel less and less often, and not as far anymore. 

I go to another "big city supermarket" once or twice a year to pick up a bunch of the more authentic curry sauces, and they are shelf-stable.  Amazon had one jambalaya sauce available last time I looked, and I may try a couple of them, to add some variety. 

0 Kudos
Advisor

RE Do you know of the name of a good voice recognition software?

"Do you know of the name of a good voice recognition software? Been thinking of getting some recipes typed up or copied, but this sounds much easier."

I suspect recipes would give voice recognition software fits.  Dragon is supposed to be one of the best ( see reviews at http://www.consumersearch.com/voice-recognition-software ) Something from that site I didn't realize:

Windows Vista and Windows 7 include Windows Speech Recognition at no additional charge. Though the program was originally rife with issues, it now performs extremely well -- almost as well as Dragon NaturallySpeaking, according to many experts. The user interface is widely praised, and the program is easy to train. Accuracy is good at around 97 percent. Reviewers say Dragon NaturallySpeaking has a slight edge but that there's no compelling reason for typical users to buy it, though they do recommend that heavy users will find NaturallySpeaking to be a better choice in the long run.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Re: RE Do you know of the name of a good voice recognition software?

Sorry I had missed this question...my gadgets that use VR software all ahv eit programmed into the package.  DROID and Livescribe are only two of many, like the GPS in my car. 

The car's system is older, not as user-friendly (we still scrap it out over "rest area" and "restaurant," for example.)  DROID is at that 95% and over accuracy fo understanding me when I dictate a text message.   I am just learning to use Livescribe, so cannot say for sure how good it will be with my VA/NC Southern accent. 

An MD friend uses Dragon for dictation, and we talked about Livescribe use in the profession.  He says half of the docs who try it like these recording pens, and half don't.   I couldn't use it in nursing school due to patient privacy issues. 

The main issue with Livescribe use is that you have to use their specially-coded paper, or must have a Laser printer to make your own   No more than I will use it unless I find a grand project for it, I think that's okay for me, since the notebooks are not really that expensive compared to regular ones. 

I think it would make a terrific tool for recording an oral history with elder family members and such as that.  It would have been nice ot have during the era when I served as recording secretary fo virtually every group I joined. 

You just touch the pen to the coded dots on the pages and it goes to that audio recording in its memory, and replays it for you.  I agree that reading in special-purpose documents like recipes could be difficult...not so much for catching the words, but for formatting the information, since most recipes are basically lists of ingredients. 

I ofund several sites with inof on recipe dictation discussion, but most of them were very dated.  Some had freeware, again several years old, so maybe or maybe not worth the trouble.  Amazon has Dragon's latest version from 2010 for $60, and shipping would be free if you code it in as you order, and can wait a couple extra days:

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-NaturallySpeaking-Home-Version-11/dp/B003VNCRNQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

0 Kudos