cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Contributor

DEERE PIQUES INTEREST OF WOMEN AS ASPIRING ENGINEERS

An Eastern Iowa museum is working with John Deere to introduce teenage girls to the array of professional opportunity in engineering, according to a published report.

WQAD reports the Putnam Museum in Davenport is hosting 50 eighth graders who are working alongside Deere engineers as a way of sparking interest, prompting wonderment and, perhaps, performing some long-range recruiting.

"Only 8 percent of girls are really interested in pursuing engineering careers," Anne Ryerson, a Deere product safety engineer, told the publication. "We want to expand that."

With plans to nearly double profits by 2018, as the Deere chief executive mentioned earlier this week, significant professional opportunity is expected to open in the next few years. And, females are underrepresented in the industry, with less than 20 percent of engineering jobs in the U.S. held by women.

"We've been tasked by industry to get females involved," said Kim Glenn of Iowa State University. "Industry wants that, so they can have an equal balance of ideas."

The program already is having a profound impression on one student.

"I didn't really know much about being an engineer," Alexis King, 14, told the publication. "I wanted to come see how it was and explore my options."

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: DEERE PIQUES INTEREST OF WOMEN AS ASPIRING ENGINEERS

Now if schools would try to encourage girls the same. Mine still were college prep or home ec oriented for girls. Almost think that the genders should be separated, since studies show they learn so differently, but would probably eliminate the access to so many of the traditionally male oriented classes, such as mechanical engineering.

Senior Contributor

I agree that classes such as math classes in elementary would be better divided. But it won't happen.

I am still upset that a NYC school switched the kindergarten graduation song from God Bless American which I understood they had learned to Justin Berber's Baby, the lyrics are questionable for that age but principle thought is was 'more age appropriate' than God Bless America. Maybe I hear too much news?

Advisor

Gender and academics.   Okay,  where I went to school the girls were the smart kids in the class.   The top 7 in my class were girls.  (all but one were college prep),  The classes ahead and behind me had girls at the top too.    We had an older male teaching HS  math,  he was not use to having mostly girls in his advanced classes.   He  use to meet with the boys in his office where we understood he was telling jokes,  (boy would not that happen today),    When I was a Sr.  the advanced math class was 6 girls and 1 boy.   

My DD was #1 in her class....  She said that the chemisty teacher,  former Naval officer,  was the first and only teacher she had that made her feel like the girl being the smart one in the class was wrong.   He just rubbed her wrong,   His anti agriculture agenda didn't sit well either,    That was not a good idea when all 7 members of the school board were farmers!   She refused to take his physics class as a Senior because she wasn't sure she could take his attitude.  He accused DD and another female class member of being chicken to take physics.   She didn't care  she knew that if she tried to take him on  he would take it out on her younger brother.   None of the boys in his physics class got A's in physics.   Would have ruffled his feathers if she'd been in his class and had to give her an A.    She'd have considered it a real challenge to just "show him". 

I will admitt that engineering never even crossed my mind.     But,  then I was an Ag. Sciences major when  girls were are real minority in the classes.  

Frequent Contributor

Thank you for sharing this story!

0 Kudos