cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

DIY or hire you a pro?

Shaggy's sweet post about his wife's snow-socked tulips brought one of those " druther" questions of mine to mind. When it comes to fixing up around the house or doing yardwork, would you rather your spouse offer to earnestly help you do it yourself, or would your dream be to have it all hired out and handed to a pro to make decisions and execute the plan or you?

I guess there is the middle ground here, of you making the plan, but hiring the physical execution of it out.

So, which would be your preference? Does it depend upon what the project is...for example, planting your flowerbeds v painting a room?
0 Kudos
17 Replies
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Re: DIY or hire you a pro?

Well, I think for me it's an age/health issue.  I simply don't have the energy at 66 that I did at 40 or whatever.  My dad always helped me paint, paper, etc. and he loved to do that even by himself.  I don't.   I have to fraction in the effects of the medication I'm on.  My energy is used to stay off the couch napping & trying to do the regular chores. 

We are looking at new flooring for the kitchen, painting the ceiling, and either papering the walls or painting them.  Looks like a mountain to me.  Putting it off, and putting it off.  Even if I hire it done it looks monumental.  So in this instance I'd say hire it done.  DH has been after me to get it organized.  He looked at the flooring samples I brought home & asked if it was to go under the stove?   The fridge?  Yes.  They have to come out.  Then rolled his eyes & walked out the door. LOL  With the chores, etc of the farm we haven't the time. 

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

I am with Linda on this one. I would think anyone who could afford to hire the help with a project would do it.

0 Kudos
manureseller
Senior Contributor

I whole heartedly  believe in hiring out what I can even if I have the time to do something because if it's something I don't enjoy then I know I won't do as good of a job as if I hire it.  I hate to paint so I would have no problems letting someone else do it.  Planting flower beds is different as I love to do that and digging in the dirt.  Heck when we get our new house I'm hiring soemone to come in and clean because I just don't have the time or the inclination to do it like I should.  I'd rather be outside as much as possible then inside.  I also know that neither my husband nor I would deal with each other very well trying to do a project.  LOL  It's safer on our marrige to hire out.  Or just have 1 of us do something not both.

0 Kudos
Ruby Lou
Senior Contributor

We had talked about re-siding our house this year.  Got steel roof on last year and I thought the porch and siding were this year.  He told me a few weeks ago that I needed to figure out what I was going to do for tree's or landscaping around the house.  I told him I thought we were going to do siding first.  He told me that may have to wait as the barn needs sided first!!! THe south side of our barn is in bad shape.  I understand.  So I will put off on the siding.  The porch HAS to be replaced it I have to tear it out myself.  I am afraid someone is going to fall through it everytime I step up on it.  (could be me).  He had the contractor look at it that did the roof and he wanted to tear out the supports underneath.  My DH doesn't think they need replaced. So I suppose we had better look for someone else that will do what he wants.  So back to the landscape/tree's.  I missed my chance with the students last fall. May be able to get some idea's though from the faculty member the next time I see her.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Hmmmmm...maybe the percentage of things we hire out has shifted as we could afford it more easily. I do hve an affinity or drawing up, pickng out and figuring materials, though. It used to be that we drove every nail, laid every tile...Mike is good at electrical and framing, son at everything else, so we just did most all of it in-house.

The rentals being at distance, andus having to be here to wok a certin set of dayseach week, we had to hire much of fixingthem nd Jenna's house out. Most of that was painting and new flooring., neither of which I am keen on anymore. Landscaping is one aspect where I just want to do my own thing, with help doing what I ask to be done.

I am getting to where the decorative stuff indoors is about all I want to deal with, too.
0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Today I made the phone calls for someone to paint for me and for the flooring to be measured.  Wouldn't begin to do the floor but made the decision to have someone take the walls & ceiling over for me.  If this lady won't do I have another number.  Now hopefully I can coordinate so we only have the fridge & stove moved out one time.

Guess I'll get my take out menus in order and a big bag of charcoal.  Plan to work in the garden when the time comes.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Just as we have gotten to the apparent end of remodeling (I am cleaning floors behind tracking-in at our final rental this morning), it seems that everywhere we turn, things are breaking down. It is my theory that this is the Universe saying we can have only X dollars in the bank, and no more.

Yesterday, Mike drove separately in my Mazda, so we can drop it at a dealership to figure out hat it will cost to darken that " check engine" light on the display. Local mechanic is scared to do much beyond an oil change there...always says, " Trade it in!"

Both my icemaker in the refrigerator and the icemaking machine we use for farm coolers have gotten balky or quit entirely,
respectively, just on time for warmer weather. Lowe's repair set an appointment ten days out, so meanwhile, I called a local repairman, who told me to go ahead and replace the machine, since it is nine years old, and isn't cooling at all anymore.

The irrigation unit that runs our reels for lagoon management is misfiring, so new injectors are on the way this coming week. The dealers kill you with this stuff, because they know your farm has to have it to stay in business. Dirty diesel is to blame....

Daughter's dually 450 diesel broke down coming from a horse show last weekend, and thankfully, I don't get THAT bill.... Some valve malfunctioned, and dumped water and antifreeze into the engine.

I am just hoping that the AC system works in NC, when we turn it on to stay...small run last week seemed fine. If the pool pump and sanitizer are right, since all of that was new last year, we may make it from spring to summer. All the baling equipment got across the first small cutting of haylage, so good there.

Mike and SIL finished an expensive repair pass on all 12 hog houses. During he winter, so maybe that will keep our grade up for a while...that 98 was bugging me to no end.

Got to make myself go do that whole houseful of floors now...have to plant 12 pots in the yard here first, to get them in for rain later this morning. It would be so nice to sit here and watch CBS Sunday instead of rushing out. Note to self: Next time, hire the housekeeper.
0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

I know how you feel when everything goes down at the same time. Maybe you are right about there is only to be so much of a bank account?

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

We have our Ranger in the shop for the 2nd time for the same ailment.  Last time the part was defective.  It's very inconvenient to be with out it plus we have to drive 35 m. to the dealers one way!  Time is precious at this farm.

This morning the cows broke out into the pasture we didn't want them in and I had to chase down a heifer who wanted to stay out there.  All while we were trying to get done early to get to church for 1st Communion for DGS.

And the last bunch of cows didn't want to come into the parlor & got upset and left their "mark" in the parlor & everywhere else.  After being out on new pasture those of you with experience can sympathise.

DS's check engine light went on yesterday too.  Is it in the stars for these?

0 Kudos