cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lawinkle
Advisor

Re: DIY or hire you a pro?

We are at the point where we just hire it done.  Between the farm, Ed's ag consulting, my job, and now teaching this fall, we have only so much time and we need to use it wisely.  The days where I used to enjoy a DIY project are long gone.  The aggravation and time pressures far outweigh the cost savings and satisfaction.  

The tools required to do many repairs are expensive and specialized and it just doesnt pay to own them.  Each worker here has his own specialty.  It is harder to find a handyman any more.  

For the things we do ourselves we hire a sturdy neighbor boy to do the lifting and carrying for us.  Friday I was able to get my early garden seeds into the raised beds and an apple tree planted for the two newest grands thanks to his help.  He also mulched the blueberries while I planted rhubarb and herbs.

While I enjoy gardening, I recognize that I need help, too.  

Ed is good about getting Graham to help him with firewood cutting, splitting and stacking.  One of our sons always helps us when he comes down with DGS for overnight.  I call it a honey do list in exchange for his favorite meal!

I guess

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Growing up with sows on pasture gestation, our Sunday morning roundups used to be pent in tall corn, listening for their breathing. I remember standing in eight-foot stalks one July morning, this cotton housecoat over my shorty pajamas, barefoot and hair in those pink foam curlers, wondering how I would ever make myself presentable to be seen at church...livestock never get out at a GOOD time, do they?

Mike is going back and forth on the unit's injectors...only one is missing. I tell him to just make up his mind, and tell me what we owe, so I can cut the check.

The Mazda I hope isn't major...we dropped it at the dealership today, for the Tuesday appointment. I would really like that not to be too much, since the ice making machine was $1500 on Friday...and we have to wait for delivery on May 22nd.

I was wanting to look at a split zone AC for Jenna's house, too...I hate having to deal with window units. We can manage it either way, bur I hate that feeling of so much going out at one time, don't you?

BTW, the dealer for Mazda is about ninety miles away, and when Jenna's VW Jetta needs repairs, that one is three hours north...I could go closer ( two hours to Raleigh), but I despise driving in Raleigh....the three hours is halfway to her house, then another ninety minutes north on I-95, in Fredericksburg.

They are a wonderful place to deal with, so maybe worth the drive. Our local guy is scared of them both. A least the VW goes 10,000 miles between oil changes, so I only hear him griping about once a year.
0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

I think my reckoning point was when I offered to watch Winn, so his Mama could do her farm work. It is just impossible to get much done with such a little one in your arms...I was way more careful with him than with our own, I think. Our house back then was eady to childproof...this one is impossible.

I am about ready to get the farm employee's wife back to do the house every other week, the office in between...it is a disgrace out there right now. Trouble is, I have so much to do, just to get it ready for her, I might as well do the rest myself. Mike's office us as bad, if not worse.

Getting the last house off my back today ought to free up more time.
0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

I remember too that getting ready for the cleaning person was a real job making sure everything was out of the way so she could work efficiently.

I also remember how the hogs would have problems just when we really needed to be somewhere like church, a wedding or specially a funeral. DH was just remembering a couple of days ago about being pallbearer for a former boss. He had just got there in time and went to the front of the church to view the person. As he walked back down the aisle a friend told him his zipper was open. I know it must have been another animal emergency making him late.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

You know, it isn't the dust/vac/mop stuff tht keeps me frustrated with housekeeping, it is putting away shoes, picking up magazines nd books, etc., in preparation for the cleaningbitself. That is the part I wih could be hired out.

Here is an example of my " help":Mike asked for TP for his bathroom last night, as he ws getting into the shower. I immediatly went and got a bundle, put several rolls in my cabinet, then set his remainder of he package in his bathroom. This morning, when I went to bathe and do laundry in his big bathroom, the package - plastic wrap and all -was sitting on top of his cabinet, as though he had experienced some emergency, and hadn't had hours in between to open the door and set it inside.

This is the crap that wears me down. Having to go behindvpeople all day and do a hundred little things that they could have easily done, just to finish what they started. Maybe I should have climbed the steps up and fown to just put it away myself, instead of expecting him to do it. I find myself resenting the aggravation, but if I say anything, it is a Big Hairy Deal, you know?
0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Oh yeah, I know all about that stuff.  The painting lady called me today & can't get to me for at least a month.  Hopefully I can get the flooring on sale now but hold off on laying it.  Told her to please call a week before she can make it as I will wait to take off wallpaper. 

At $52 a double roll I'm probably going to paint.  Hope my hand will be improved to take off paper.

0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

I had no idea wallpaper cost that much now. No wonder paint is being used so much, I thought it was just out of style. I do like wallpaper but DH says no more after I had wallpapered over paneling. It was very hard to remove although it had a product under it to make it easier.

Wallpaper stores usually had steamers that you can rent or borrow. You also need a gadget to make holes in the paper to allow the steam or solution to get behind the paper. It seems like we used fabric softener too.

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

I've rented the steamer everytime I took wallpaper off-warm job but much easier.  There's just something about a plain, flat wall that's painted after having the character of wallpaper.  Maybe paint that's has some texturing to it or whatever you call it.  My kitchen doesn't really have a lot of wall space so maybe not so bad.

0 Kudos