cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Senior Contributor

DNA testing

Jump to solution

After reading a blog where a story had been passed down in the family for generations about being part Indian and then the saliva test from Ancestry .com showed no Indian DNA I am wondering if anyone has used this testing?  I have wondered about the Indian connection for years but I could get no one to admit that it was true. $99 for the tests seems low for that kind of test?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: DNA testing

Jump to solution

It looks to me like the tribal registry should be doing this..   would be cheap insurance to make sure there wasn't anyone trying for benefits that shouldn't.

Actually to me the $99 sounds about right, based on what we pay for different DNA tests for livestock..   

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution
Sounds like the deal about Elizabeth Warren's claim to be a fraction Native American.

I did the test last fall, right around Thanksgiving. My mother had a big claim to English ancestry from her DAR research years ago. I figured back from that to Ireland. We were both slighlty over ten percent right. Vast majority of my DNA was Western European, which was and wasn't totally surprising.
I got the link to the info, but it arrived at a very busy time, so one of my goals for this coming week, while my little buddy is on Mickey's Boat, is to log in and print out, and really study what that means. I figure it leads to a Celtic background, most likely, if I skimmed it right.

Mike wamts to do his...thanks for the reminder. I think it's worth that little bit, to have some idea of where your roots reach back to in time.
0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution

I don't really want to acknowledge anything except german ancestry, so no test. My wife's side also.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution
That is the potential downside of DNA testing, I suppose...having to acknkwledge ancestry one would sooner forget.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution

If you saw my and my wife's (maiden name)  last name you could see. Pretty certain that we are both well over 75%(or more) german ancestry. Grand parents and great grandparents came on the boat. Anything else would be considered a recessive gene. ; ) Have a good day.

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

Jump to solution
It is sort of funny how the perspective on genealogy has shifted over the years. Ele used to want more to be mainstream, conformist, I think. Nkw, there seems to be a true pride in minority ancestry.
0 Kudos
charagra42419
Senior Reader

Jump to solution

I had mine done about 6 months ago,no skelitons yet. Did learn that most of what I thought I know was wrong. I also have had contact with realitives that I had no idea they existed.

0 Kudos
Advisor

Jump to solution

I'd always kind of assumed that I had some Indian blood as I'd heard some casual reference to some great great grandfather marrying a "creole woman from Vincennes".

Some modest geneological research indicated the my 4th Great Grandfather was married 3 times and fathered 19 children. As 17 of them survived to reproduce I guess you can assume that at least he was a pretty good sire (and if you do the math, that I'm not in a very exclusive club)..

Wife #2 only bore two before she died and she would appear to be the one. I'm from the line of #3.

There is a historical point in those numbers. The frontier was a relatively healthy place except for women who tended to have kids until they died.

I'll also assume that there is more than just casual disinterest in my older relatives having little to say about their ancestors beyond a couple of generations. They were poor and I'm guessing not exactly of the standards that a few generations of relative prosperity, church and education produced.

That's actually a good American story, nothing I'm even remotely ashamed of. Among some odd 315 million others.  And fwiw, although I carry the name only 1/64th of my heritage.

0 Kudos
Veteran Advisor

Jump to solution

S L C  - Hope your  D N A testing of livestock was more sucessful than my neighbors adventure down that road - 2 texts from expert company's produced widely different results ? ?

0 Kudos