cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Debt Ceiling

I did not "play the race card".  I try very hard not to be prejudicial.  But I know that no matter how hard I try, or how  hard I profess that race is not an issue, the fact of the matter is the first thing I (and anybody that is being honest) sees is the color of a persons skin.  And no matter what any one professes; all the junk (sorry I've lost the word I want) that goes with that skin color goes through my mind.  Yes it does and then I work hard to  throw it away.  But it is there non the less.

But just that fact that so much has been made of Obama being the 1st black president (rightfully so; it is a big step for our country) all but guarantees that in many many peoples minds that fact never leaves them.  Honestly do you believe all the stuff about a birth certificate and all that garbage would have happened if he had been lily white.

All in all I am just so disgusted that our government for what ever reason can not get this mess settled.  It does not bode well for the American people and it does not look good to the world looking in at us.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I didn't mean that you had played the race card, but I heard it being done by a member of Congress just last week. It wasn't even subtle, to someone who has heard it done for over fifty years. It is. The lowest blow to throw, anytime a person of " white" race disagrees with someone " black".

I do " see" race, but it really doesn't matter to me. I taught classrooms full of CHILDREN, and could not tell you on the first day, the last day, or any day of the whole school year, what the black/ white tally was, even though that was the first question a lot of people asked me, as in " How many blacks are in your class this year?"

I do not feel guilty for being born white, and I no more feel I have to make excuses for the past sins of my race than anyone else born any other " color". I highly resent any attempt to make me feel apologetic for any accident of birth...not that you were doing that, but believe me, it's been tried.

As for the " birthers" who wanted proof of citizenship, I feel they overly belabored the point. It is a legitimate question to ask, especially of someone who spent so much time overseas in his youth, and whose father was not American. Our laws do specify this as a means of defining citizenship. I think the alleged ties to Islam were as problematic as race in that context, though.

Then again, the President could have shut them down a lot quicker than he did, by producing the long form certificate the first time the subject was raised. Birth, marriage and death records are public documents, available to anyone for a minor fee. I never understood why he waited so long...what did it do but give his critics one more thing to pick away at?

I think there are a lot more people who voted for this president, and for this Congress, who are dissatisfied than there are voters who are satisfied with how they spent their vote. We always joke that there ought to be a box that says" none of the above" on thhe ballot. Right now, I am thinking that no leadership v bad leadership is not much of a range of choice.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I dont care if he is black, white, purple or has polka dots.....I want him to LEAD!  I want him to act like a mature leader who is willing to put the people of this country ahead of politics and get us out of this mess.  Stop with the campaign style speeches, the petulance, the walking out of the room, the threats and the fear tactics. 

He and his bunch of "frat boy" advisors and cabinet members need to grow up and grow up fast.  This course they are on, this power trip, is giving our enemies a big boost in their efforts to bring down our economy and our democratic lifestyle. 

The Republicans are completely to blame for this fiasco.  They had control of the White House, the Congress and the Supreme Court for nearly eight years and they abdicated their responsbility to those who elected them.  They ran wild, spending and acting stupid and now we are paying for their irresponsibility under a  bunch of liberals who are shoving their liberal policies right down our throats.  TAlk about whiplash!!

I have not met anyone who is anywhere near as liberal or conservative as the politicians would have us believe.  Most people are moderates who just want to have jobs, be safe, and live their lives without government interference. 

Grow up down there in DC and do your job!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

As I said, I dislike both parties pretty equally.

I asked Mike to turn the channel away from the news tonight, and for once, he agreed without question. He is actually more of a news junkie than I am now, which I would never have thought would happen.

We are both largely disgusted with government at every level. Our last governor's closest aide was set to turn himself in for a prison sentence today...one in a long string of scandals.

I have a good fundraising idea for our country...let's do one of those " bail them out of jail" cages for each congressman, in his or her home district. Contributions to be made payable to the US Treasury.

You know, the one where people make a donation to get them out from behind bars. Then again, maybe too many of them would
find that no one cares enough to set them free. Waatching them held hostage, the way they are holding all of us in suspense right now, would at least be a fair consequence.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Soilbabe already said what I was thinking so I won't repeat.  This is NOT a race thing, Obama won with his ability to campaign. And he is still campaigning!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

Campaigning...sometimes, when I do hear a bit of the news coverage in passing, or on a late night comedy shoe, it does make me think that a lot of the present problem is that many of the figures involved aremsetting up the sound bites for their next reelection campaign. I have witnessed politicians creating a " crisis" before, only to set up their own opportunity to ride in and save the day.

What worries me about this one is that there does not seem to be anyone who has the influence to seal the deal...ANY deal. The Senate says Boehner's plan is DOA when it gets to them. Reid's plan may not get past a presidential veto. I may have some of these details wrong, but what it looks like to me right now is that the whole brouhaha today is to force acceptance to avoidmdefautl tomorrow.

Think about that now...you drag a problem out to its last possible moment form solution, and that forces everyone ekes to take it or be the one who causes the US to default on its debts. I think this is really what is afoot on Capitol Hill today...forcing a hand, to get concessions in the interest of " right now" , rather than " right for the long run".

Probably everyone alive has had to make a far-less- than- perfect decision when forced into an apparent emergency. Maturity may help some of us avoid being positioned that way more as we see the setup coming.

I deal with this by telling someone who has created such a manipulative measure that" a problem on your part doesn't constitute an
emergency for me". What's going on in DC right now is the ultimate game of chicken. Everyone is feeding on and building their political future on the back of this created crisis.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

What would Suzy Orman or Jean Chatzky tell them to do?   I think they would be told to reduce the # of credit cards  and only use the one when you have to.   Reduce your spending only real needed expenses. Then  pay off your debt,  and if you can. get a part time job to pay off the debt even quicker.   So using this  analogy.  I'd  reduce our spending.  and Since we can't get a second job(or could we charge other countries for use of our Military?) we have to raise income.   Unfortunately  that means raise some taxes.   I'd start by rolling back the  "Bush Tax cuts".    I'd try to close as many tax loopholes  as possible.    But,  that won't make businesses want to hire employees so there needs to be tax incentives to employers for increasing employement.     One thing I don't understand was reducing the SS tax for employees.  The Social Securilty system is suppose to be in trouble down the road.... So why reduce the income into SS?     That is  personal peeve of mine since it cost me $150 to update my software.   When they rollback that one I get  to spend time  updating my software again... (this time it won't cost me  I hope  just time to update)

I've already listed how I'm willing to accept my cuts.   To those of you suffering  from drought.   I know that the direct payment will be very important  thus,  I favor a safety net.   I feel if the gov would still subsidise federal crop insurance  that can help us maintain our safety net.    Drought again... 2 years of drought hurts your 5 year average  I know, we went through drought 2 years in a row once. 

Kay I agree with your assesment that we have spent for National Security to put us in debt.  Here in the Midwest we get Nat. Security grants for new fire trucks in our very rural areas.   But,  then we have to buy new fire trucks because some gov agency has declared the truck too old or outdated.  Never mind that it only gets used 12 -15 times a year.    Every medium sized town has grants for SWAT like teams.   Bomb sqads?   HAZMAT?  Every business has a HAZMAT trailer? 

I've told my "tea party"  congressman it is time to compromise.   We can't afford our nation's debt at higher interest rates.   I personally like my low rate on farm ground right now. 

Better get off line and get to work.   We are celebrating my in-laws 65th anniversary this weekend here on the farm.  Time to mow, trim, clean and shop.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Could we charge global companies for using our military for their security? Do you think they will pay? This country is beholden to a very few and global wealth is disproportionately dispersed the same. Our national debt is the noose we have made. It is up to us to decide whether we step into it or not. I agree that the Bush tax cuts need to go. Too many graphs show that they are more costly than the wars and recession combined. If the Congress doesn't want to accept it, then it is time for them to be voted out by the people, not by those that are producing the negative ads.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Or at least put their names on the bond cards. Who wants to be associated with the unsavory of politicians? They need them, but they also like their anonymity.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos