cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Dense fog, then BRRRR!

Warnings all over the place about dense fog this morning. If it were a school day, openings would actually be delayed a couple of hours, to let it clear. Yes...schools delayed by fog...go ahead and laugh!

Mike just read the morning lows coming our way this week...mid-teens is very cold for us. We'll be burnng up a good pile of wood to keep these old houses warm. Thaw after that will be a mud bath. Everything the crew has to do is just that much harder. I dread this time of year!

How cold is it at your house right now?
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Sundae1964
Veteran Contributor

Re: Dense fog, the BRRRR!

It is -10 outside right now and VERY windy!!!!  So worse then -10

Finishing my coffee then on to do my chores outside, DH just left for the other farm where he does his.

Stay warm this week, colder then normal all around!

0 Kudos
wt51015
Senior Contributor

It's probably close to similar conditions here. Think we got about 1-2 inches of snow last night. Thank goodness we got windbreaks. Sure is cold too. Have to use the truck to deliver at least one day due to drifting; some areas can be bad. Will be glad when it gets above freezing. Mud can be bad, but that drifting snow seems to like to collect around mailboxes too.

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Same snow depth here too and overcast but bright skies.  Wind has picked up a bit already.  Sundae, couer ld you keep it there?  Family friend passed away after a good life & funeral Tuesday morning.  Supposed to be more snow & colder unfortunately.  Wednesday is the coldest forecast temps.  Winter hath come.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Y'all panic me, with snowdrifts and sub-zeros. It is in the seventies here today, with a chance of tornados later this afternoon.
0 Kudos
dairy mom
Senior Contributor

Re: Dense fog, then BRRRR!

had a beautiful snow globey winter day yesterday.  Just around freezing and no wind.  It was beautiful.

Today a little more snow and then the wind and artic plunge are expected single digits over night.

Kay I thnk I'd take the snow over worrying about tornadoes.  But then I don't really have to deal with the snow that much.  Only about 1000 ft to the building with my calves then inside to take care of them (only have 9 right now) and then I'm back to the house.

Did work with hubby for a short time trying to get the north doors closed on the old tool shed.  Naturally they didn't get them dug out while the weather and dirt conditions were better.  The sooner that bulding comes down the better.  BTW we didn't get the ding dang doors closed.

0 Kudos
Suey73
Advisor

17 degrees and it is blowing around about 1.5"  of snow.   Underneath that snow is  frozen slush.  It was raining yesterday.    Not looking forward to chores... and all I have to do is trudge over the yard to get in the new 4x4 truck to drive to the finishing bldg and Push the button to start the augers... providing no plugging of the feed line.   Rain,  snow and cold  sometimes causes  problems with feedlines.  

I'm staying home from church today.  This head cold is hanging on  but  I'm on the downhill side.   Fire going in the basement woodburner  but  I want to be warmer.    I have this desire for warm chocolate chip cookies.    And Go Cowboys!  

Stay warm and safe everyone. 

0 Kudos
SLC
Senior Contributor

It was a beautiful day yesterday.. calm, no wind, got just above freezing in the afternoon.   We spent the day getting ready for calving season, all of the stalls are now set up and bedded down.   Then about 730-8pm the wind came up..  freezing rain, snow, wind chills in the negatives.  It was wicked all night.   Same this morning.  The sun is shining but its cold out.   I normally walk down to feed some calves & goats but this morning, I started my old SUV up so I wouldnt' have to walk back straight into the north wind.    We probably have about 3 inches of snow with some drifting.   Thankfully NO calves were born last night.   Heifers are due in about 10 days, cows due to start the end of Jan - first of Feb.   And of course, I was really thinking when I sent several does to be AI'd in August.. thus making them due around the 18th of January.  And baby goats have zero will to survive.   

0 Kudos
dairy mom
Senior Contributor

We are lucky here.  Mud had dried out before this weather came and we haven't gotten any of the rain/fog I've been seeing in the forecasts.  Wind is starting now and the next 18 hours or so will probably be pretty miserable.  Then just really cold cause I don't think the wind is suppose to keep up.

Sure am glad I don't milk any more and all my babies are inside now.

0 Kudos
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

DH is still stuck on hutches; thinking they are the healthiest for the calves.  Maybe so, but not so much for the caretakers.

I wanted a hoop building years ago but . . .   He takes care of the majority of the calves.  We had 17 on milk rpelacer but weaned some so now 5 bottles, 5 on buckets and a couple that are in the weaning process.  They moved several around this morning when I went to church.  When I saw that several needed good bedding I told him to stay home & take care of it.

Wind is coming up and the west side of the house is getting colder.  Thinking about making homemade veg. soup.  Taking decorations down at church tomorrow morning & then the funeral Tues.  I bet the attendance will be down on that as many won't want to venture out in the weather.

0 Kudos