cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Detassler deaths in Illinois

Do any of you girls over in Illinois know anything about this terrible accident?  I saw it come over facebook, then checked the news.  2 - 14 year old girls were somehow electrocuted while detasseling for Monsanto.  Apparently there was an irrigation system involved.  several others in the field felt the shock.  2 others were taken to the hospital. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Detassler deaths in Illinois

Information is still developing.    Main points are:   the pivot had been hit by lightining in one of the storms during the weekend  and the the ground didn't work.   They aren't sure if any of the kids were touching the pivot or not.   Mostly they think the electricity came through the wet corn. 

Other people with pivots and seed corn are being told to remove the pivots from the field so there is no question about safety  and they can get the detassling done.   (saw a post from a grower from Washington)

Very, Very sad and tragic.   One is hospital in Rockford,  one is in a local hospital. 

One local TV station keeps emphasising that they were all under 18 years of age.    Congress will be threatening to keep all children out of farm work again. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Honored Advisor

I didn't think it was legal anywhere to work children under 16, unless they are your own. Tragic, and as you say, trouble on the horizon.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Veteran Advisor

What a sad sorry. Our prayers go out to all involved in this horrible accident.

Mike

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

This happened about 25 M from me.  They're not sure if lightening was involved or what but 6 others felt the shock through the ground & were taken to the hospital for observation.  Very sad.  Prayers go  out for the families.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Ed montiond this horrible accident this morning.  We will keep the families of these kids in our prayers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

I'm not sure how they do contracts anymore but when we detasseled for Pioneer we could under the age of 16 as long as our parents signed the contract.  I was detasseling at 12 helping my brother with his acres, but I was 14 before my parents let me take on my own acres.  I actually rouged before the detasseling crews came through.

Very sad deal over all. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Truly a sad deal for all involved. The companies are thinking about hiring seasonal foreign workers so they get more acres done. Will Americans cry as much or even know if one of them are killed in the same manner?

0 Kudos