cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diet and eating

You are guys are making feel so guilty.   As long as I eat a balanced diet  and don't go overboard  my system is just fine.    I feel no need to quit eating certain foods.     I've never felt that if I did or didn't eat certain foods I felt bad.    Okay,  that as long as I get my daily C's.   Calcium/milk,   Chocolate,  Vitamin C and Caffine/Diet Pepsi.    I just keep moving.    Time to move.   Got to go to Post Office to certify  MIL's tax return. 

0 Kudos
10 Replies
linda/IL
Senior Contributor

Re: Diet and eating

Sorry to make you feel guilty. I just need to lose some of the weight I gained from taking Lyrica when I was pretty immobile from  breaking my wrist.  Clothes won't fit, and I just don't feel that well.  I try to adjust my WW "way of life" to fit me though.  I cannot go without some red meat & that's our way of life.   I really try to just eat a balanced diet.  No juicing, etc. for me, thanks.  May be healthy but doesn't fit my lifestyle.  Take a vitamin & calcium per dr. orders.  My body is too stubborn to be extreme.  LOL 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Sorry I obsess about food...most overweight people do! 

You are a lucky person to not have to think about it so much, though.  My system is very sensiutive to things like medications and caffeine.  I dont' tolerate any meds well at all, it has seemed for most of my adult lifetime, and I didn't get many before that. 

You just toughed out an ear infection,. no matter how painful, with a heating pad and some sweet oil warmed in a spoon.  On a bad night, the heating pad was not working, so I hav slept with my head against an iron set low and wrapped in a towel. 

Being diabetic, I fight to stay fit...it is just a fried metabolism.  I am eating as few carbs a possible right now.  Amazingly, the absence of wheat and all other grain is making my joints MUCH better.  Have lost five pounds in a week, too.   

The struggle is, of course, to stick with a program.  I have decided that I have to this time.  Training alone wasn't shaking off any weight that I could notice, even after a month of hard work (10 hours of cardio and resistance per week is a lot to me). I was weargin myself to a frazzle, so stepped back a bit, to more like six hours and dietary restrictions.  That is working, finally. 

Enjoy your nice, normal body.   It is a miracle to have one.  I would be the first person to say people ought to be able to eat a sensible meal and not worry...not for me, in this lifetime! 

0 Kudos

I need to loose a few pounds too.   That I'm sure could be accomplished by cutting how much I eat.     

0 Kudos

I'm 100% convinced that stress is the culprit on weight issues and other serious health issues. An acquaintance has been under tremendous stress for about two years. Daughter, salutatorian of herhigh school class, multiple college scholarships, drops out pregnant by a deadbeat. Moves back home with child. Son, prom king, athlete, drops out of college, bounces from job to job, comes out as transgender, wants to be female. Prescription drug abuse. Unhappy. Moves back home. These siblings cannot stand each other but cannot live independently.

Marriage strained to max. DH cannot cope and she has become the slave and whipping post for all three of them.

I and others have just helplessly watched her physical health decline. She eats healthy, doesn't smoke, exercises.....her weight is going up....energy level declining....fighting depression. Menopausal.

It is horrible to see what stress is doing to her weight and overall health.

I am a firm believer that we women need to set boundaries on what we will and will not do, accept, and tolerate. Our very lives depend on it.

Even with the best of intentions regarding our diet and exercise, if we don't get a handle on stress, our efforts are for naught. Just my opinion......observations of others and experience in my own life.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

True. I can either deal with my weight, or fight constant battles with two of the world's largest corporations, often at the same time...but, not both! I had reclaimed my health twice in the last few years...first time with diet alone, second time with exercise alone. Both times, the aforementioned corps acted up, and it took great concentration to deal with them, so the weight gain ballooned again.

Right now, I am still coping with immense grief, and trying to help my husband, daughter, son, and grandson do it, too. Finally got the State of North Carolina to give back money to her estate that her employer remitted in error. That has taken almost two years. With luck, I will soon write one last check, and give her little nephew the last of her earthly wealth, for his future efucation. I think it will be both a good and a bad feeling...the last thing.

There's a lot to be said for what you notice about your friend. I watched my favorite aunt blow up when my grandmother moved in with her family. She was the smartest woman I ever knew, but the emotional upheaval upset her self-control, like an earthquake.

Loving people and living with them are not necessarily good co-existing conditions. Her best bet for herself sounds like it would be to move out....

Although I have some truly joyful moments now, I doubt my life will ever be what I would define as truly happy ever again. I am literally fighting for my life some days now, I feel, because so many people I love depend upon me.

At the same time, I am consciously preparing them for the day I am gone, because we all have to go. It makes for a lot more work...doing my work and also teaching them how to do it.

Just sending Mike to the store requires triple the effort it would take to go myself, but he needs to knkw where to find what he likes. Wish you could have heard him lamenting being in the deli line behind a little old lady who wanted well done (no such thing) roast beef today.

It has taken months for all the tellers at the bank to get to recognize him...his name is on every account, but I have been the errand runner for over forty years now. While I am in training, he runs the routes I used to run.

The last month or so, I have pushed myself and two trainers to start getting my strength and stamina back. I simply realized while sitting in my chair one day that I had to get up or die there soon. The cracked backbone found sbout Thanksgiving had held me down and made me feel old and weak. That got me moving, bad bones and all.

Last week, I joined Mike in eating along very strict principles. Between that and the training, six pounds are burned off in roughly a month. Not stellar, but it's a start.

I have sworn to make a dent in this by my 60th birthday, two months away. No real reason, except that I felt three months was long enough to see results, when I made this decision. You know how it feels to reach that day, right?

I hope your friend can achieve some peace soon. It sounds like every disappointment rolled into one for her.

Setting boundaries is a good practice, but that is no guarantee that the rest of the world will honor them. I think the solution is not simple.
0 Kudos
wt510151
Senior Contributor

Separation can be a good thing, but maybe getting those smoochers out of her house may be the best. I hate to say this, but let them live off of someone else's dime, especially if living under the roof is causing this much pain in the family. The entire family will be much worse than if the younger generation does leave. She probably can babysit from time to time, but those two need to learn independence.

I also know from past experience that I would be much more satisfied with my life if I didn't let outside factors control it and stress me out. Probably wouldn't have my current health problems either. But that is water under the bridge right now. Just have to look forward and if a stressor shows up, cope with it much better than in the past or avoid it altogether. 

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

Avoiding stress is pretty typical advice...but, if I could, I am pretty sure I would. In our case, the corporate pressures seem to turn up in cycles that run a few years pretty peacefully, then flare up all at once. It is hard to explain it all, it is just the way it has been happening for twenty years with one, twelve with the other.

The one thing I notice myself always wishing for others is " peace". That us what Mike and I always seem to be saying to one another, too...that we need some of it so badly it hurts.

We get a taste of it on the days and nights we come to Jenna's house. We get small sips of it when we have a day with Winn in Carolina...yesterday was a great one. The undercurrents of the business stuff push to the surface, or create some tension, even at the best times, though.

It is hard to explain to people with different types of personalities, I guess. I catch myself snuggling with Winn, breathing in his sweet scent, and thinking how lucky we are...and in the same split second, how quickly it all passes. Must the the melancholy Irish in us.
0 Kudos
turkey feather
Senior Contributor

I agree with LA. I just recently realized how stress brings on belly fat. I was under very high stress from the work of the church committee and as it climaxed I started gaining weigh that had been off for over a year. I noticed a relative who lives with a high stress husband and keeps gaining in the belly area. Maybe it is the German blood.

The surprising thing is after I resigned from the chairmanship I am physically gaining strenght and the physical therapy is finally showing very good results and will soon end. I spent almost three hours on the mower yesterday without any pain today and I was doubtful that I would be able to mow at all a few weeks ago.

0 Kudos
Kay/NC
Honored Advisor

So glad for you that the church pressures have subsided. The last thing church should be is stressful, right?

Good to hear that the PT is kicking in, and you are enjoying your chores. I think every race of mankind has the bellyfat tendency when threatened.

It is like when you smoke a beehive, to work it. The bees get so preoccupied taking on honey, to prepare to flee the fire, they aren't concerned with defending their hive for a while. We perceive stress, and our inner mechanisms start to stuff our fat stores, with the abdominal omentum being a significant one of those. Food to make it through a bad time ahead.

Mike mentioned that he sees my belly shrinking now, and I know his has about disappeared. I realize now, in retrospect, that the pressure to figure out what to do with my farm, which comes out of a ten-year lease this month, was undercutting my exercise in terms of physical progress, these past few weeks.

Mike had really laid into me one night, talking about what I " had to do" with that place. It got me all stirred up and into a turmoil. He has finally seen how really unfair that was...he kept thinking someone would want to rent it for fair money, but that just isn't happening so far. I got one offer, and it basically insulted me. After that, he saw what a difficult problem it is going to be to solve, and that it won't happen overnight.

We are still waiting and holding our breath over PEDV. Our farm is going through a depop unrelated to that, heading for a repop with unfamiliar sources after that...more uncertainty. I know we are losing $8000-12,000 for the lost production bonuses out of this management move, on the heels of a hard income tax hit, some expensive repairs, and trying to amass some retirement savings before we are done. Stress.

How do I set that boundary? How do we control things we have no influence over...I know, we just have to " accept" it all, but I am so tired of just having to accept life's hard licks. I know that is life, but it is hard to handle some days, don't you agree?
0 Kudos