cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Honored Advisor

Do you cook " foreign" food?

It is pretty likely that many of us got grown before ever tasting pizza...I know I was a high school senior before we even tried the box mix of Chef Boy-ar-dee. The kids were all big enough to sit up and read the menu when we first tried Chinese food, so late 1980s there.

I cannot recall our first taste of tacos, but we eat out Mexican more than any other type of foreign food. I know that isn't real ethnic diet, but more the Tex-Mex version. I hardly bother to venture there from our kitchen anymore...maybe tacos once or twice a year, if that.

Winn and I cooperated on a skillet full of fried rice for lunch yesterday, but I would normally leave Chinese to the local buffet place. Mike and I toss a curry together in the pressure cooker every so often, and I heat up some frozen Indian vegetarian meals for lunch in spells.

I am not great with finding all the different spices required for a world of recipes. Often even our big chain grocery stores lack some key ingredient. Frustrating.

Do you cook foreign foods? What are your best dishes? Recipes?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Senior Contributor

Re: Do you cook " foreign" food?

I don't really call it "foreign" for the most part but I do like to stir-fry more often then not because it's fast and easy for a way to get supper quickly.  I've thrown around the fried rice idea but haven't worked up the courage to try it.  We both like fried rice but I just haven't tried it yet.  Todd isn't too adventrous when it comes to food so I barely cook with onions even but he has gotten better in our 12 years of marriage.  LOL   He'll even eat Tator-Tot hotdish where he'd never tried it before we were married. 

0 Kudos
Honored Advisor

I searched for an easy fried rice recipe online. Read through several, until I found the one that sounded most like what I observe at our favorite Japanese steak house. It was very simple...easier than stir-fry, I think.

Take time to find the sesame oil for the rice frying at the end...the veggies (onions, peas and carrots, garlic) cook in regular oil. I bought a Chinese "classic sauce" in the same aisle, instead of using plain soy sauce. You basically fry the onion until clear, and other stuff in with it, shove to the side and fry your eggs and chop them to bits, then add the rice and a little sesame oil. Sauce in at the end. Easy and super good, by Winn's recommendation and consumption.
0 Kudos
Senior Contributor

" foreign" food?

This topic hit a sentimental spot.  My FIL, rest his soul, was a terrible picky eater.  Would not eat any "foreign material" as he called it such as an onion.  He couldn't understand why people would add onions and ruin so many dishes.  I would say "you barely taste it" to which he would reply "then why put it in?" 

Also would not eat any fruit other than raisens and bananas.  Only butter beans & baked beans with "no foreign material" in them, although I & other family members would sneak it it in.  He was always suspicious of my cooking as I tried it.  But how he loved the Italian beef subs from the local restaurant that I KNOW had LOTS of "foreign material". LOL

0 Kudos
Advisor

I cook Greek, Italian, Polish, Mexican, Carribean and French and Chinese.  A bit of Japanese.

We have a Jungle Jims in Cincinnati that carries every ethnic food imaginable.  It is a true international food market.  I can get anything unusual there no problem.

Neither of us likes curry or ginger so we stay away from ethnic foods with those flavors.  Also, neither of us is too keen on Hungarian foods.  We spent a week in Budapest and ate great dishes but didnt like as much paprika as they use.

Ed loved the Dutch foods we had last year.  I liked it but was not enamored.  Now, French food???  That is amazing.  

0 Kudos
Senior Advisor

My wife is such a good cook of many different ethnic foods that early in marriage I wondered, "why go out to eat - we eat better at home."?   But that meant she never got a break.  So, I came up with a solutionl  I like Asian food and she hadn't learned to cook much of it yet.  The deal is that when we want to eat Asian, we have to go out to eat.  That doesn't mean we never eat anything else if we go out with friends, but as a rule we eat Asian or more recently good Mexican if we eat out.

Two of our daughters are great cooks but our third is a real American.  She'll cook out of a box.  The wife and other girls never cook out of a box.  Everything is from scratch.  

I think cooking is mainly chemistry and anyone can learn it, but at the same time I think some people have a knack for it.  The wife and one of my daughters have the "fingerspitzengefuel" as the Germans call it.  "Finger tip feel".  The "sense" of what works.  She'll look in the cupboard for a while then start putting things together.  "It's good", I say, "where did you get this recipe?"  "Oh, I just made it up", she says.  Sadly, sometimes next month when I want it again she's forgotten how she did it.  LOL.

0 Kudos